+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can I count my temporary worker status time until expiry date even if I made a refugee claim 2 months before expiry?
As long as you were here as a legal temp worker at the time and not under refugee status, yes.

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
As long as you were here as a legal temp worker at the time and not under refugee status, yes.
I was told different things from CIC agents.

Some agree with you that I can count it. But another agent said that when I applied for refugee, my status changed that day from temporary worker to refugee claimant. So any time I had left on my temporary worker status was null.

What do you think?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was told different things from CIC agents.

Some agree with you that I can count it. But another agent said that when I applied for refugee, my status changed that day from temporary worker to refugee claimant. So any time I had left on my temporary worker status was null.

What do you think?
I think you should e-mail, tweet or FB IRCC the question. I wouldn't want to give you misinformation. It will depend on what status you actually had at the time. If your WP was still valid, it should count. If it was no longer valid and your status had changed, it wouldn't.

xxpazaway1985

Oct 3, 2017
Hello,

I just have this question, question number 9c in the application form asked if I live outside of Canada during my eligibility period. I did live in the US for 301 days in 2012-2013 to work for a private company, so I checked the box saying yes. It then asked me to complete and submit the Residence Outside of Canada form. However, when I opened the form, it only relates for those who worked for the Candian Armed Forces, federal public administration and public service which do not apply to me. Do I need to fill up this form? I said yes in the 9c question and it says I need to complete the residence outside of Canada form? Please help. Thanks a lot!
Answer YES IN 9c question if YOU resided outside of Canada because either:
    • you
    • your Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse or common law partner
    • permanent resident parent
    was employed outside Canada (not as a locally engaged person) in or with:
    • the Canadian Armed Forces
    • the federal public administration
    • the public service of a province or territory
    Complete the Residence Outside of Canada form (CIT 0177) and submit any supporting documents requested in that form with your application.
IF this does not apply to you then answer NO

xxpazaway1985

Oct 3, 2017
Can I count my temporary worker status time until expiry date even if I made a refugee claim 2 months before expiry?
write in your physical calculator the the date of your documents issue date and expiry date of your temporary worker and your refugee documents it automatically calculates. Isnt refugee status counts too?

Bill C6 changes

Applicants may count each day they were physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence requirement for citizenship, up to a maximum credit of 365 days.

Last edited:

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
I think you should e-mail, tweet or FB IRCC the question. I wouldn't want to give you misinformation. It will depend on what status you actually had at the time. If your WP was still valid, it should count. If it was no longer valid and your status had changed, it wouldn't.

When I applied for refugee I had a valid work permit with 2 months left.
The citizenship form says if you made a refugee claim you will not be awarded time from the day you made the claim until the day it was approved.

So I guess that cuts the 2 months I still had in my temporary worker status when I made the claim.

Ps I didn't know ircc answers questions on Facebook.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
When I applied for refugee I had a valid work permit with 2 months left.
The citizenship form says if you made a refugee claim you will not be awarded time from the day you made the claim until the day it was approved.

So I guess that cuts the 2 months I still had in my temporary worker status when I made the claim.

Ps I didn't know ircc answers questions on Facebook.
It's difficult to get an answer from them on Facebook, but no harm in trying https://www.facebook.com/CitCanada/

Twitter might be faster though.

Reactions: light88

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Hi I paid for my wife s application but I used my credit card ,but on the receipt I haven't seen my wife name ? how do they that receipt belongs to our application
I think you just need to include receipt(s) that cover all the applications in your envelope.

I sent 4 applications and attached one receipt at the top of the stack with a combined payment of $630 x 4 = $2520. Our names were not on the receipt except my credit card name. Seems OK.

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
Hi everyone
I used a different name on my cell phone bill for several months in the past. It was only for name display and my account was still under my real name

Do I need to include that name in my citizenship application?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi everyone
I used a different name on my cell phone bill for several months in the past. It was only for name display and my account was still under my real name

Do I need to include that name in my citizenship application?
Given the fact that they want Nicknames, I would say you should mention it on your application. I hope it wasn't some prank name like "I.P. freely" :p

Reactions: light88

Glen04

Oct 15, 2017
Thanks for answering my question. You are very helpful. I will submit my application package tomorrow. I wish everyone the best on their application...I waited so long for this time to come.

Reactions: missmini

migrant-seeker

Star Member
May 21, 2012
Dear All, we submitted our citizenship application (family with my wife and my child) last Thursday through courier (Canada post expresspost). Thank you so much for your support and valuable advices and guidance while preparing our application. It was a long journey and waiting for this day to come.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
Hi I paid for my wife s application but I used my credit card ,but on the receipt I haven't seen my wife name ? how do they that receipt belongs to our application
you will send it with the application right? so they will know, unless they think she stole a receipt ;)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))

malikumershaheen

Star Member
May 24, 2013
need help with
Q14. do we need to send the TRV, study permit, work permit if that falls in the eligibility time line? and do i need to attach those?