+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
True point. By the way, while there is a high possibility that the 3/5 rule will be addressed on Wednesday, speaking of it as if it is a guaranteed fact is a speculation to a certain level. I am only mentioning this because I see barely anyone entertaining the possibility that the 'important announcement' might be something else such as the new 'proposed' citizenship oath that includes observing the laws of Canada including treaties with Indigenous Peoples. Food for thought :)
Agreed!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
True point. By the way, while there is a high possibility that the 3/5 rule will be addressed on Wednesday, speaking of it as if it is a guaranteed fact is a speculation to a certain level. I am only mentioning this because I see barely anyone entertaining the possibility that the 'important announcement' might be something else such as the new 'proposed' citizenship oath that includes observing the laws of Canada including treaties with Indigenous Peoples. Food for thought :)
I am all about not getting hopes too high, but having that event just to talk about the change to oath that is currently only “proposed” is absurd

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
I am all about not getting hopes too high, but having that event just to talk about the change to oath that is currently only “proposed” is absurd
My oh my Mr itsmyid :) You must not follow Canadian politics close enough to call this announcement 'absurd'. I agree that it would be a bit premature if it is just a proposed oath; but we do not know how far it advanced yet right? As per the current government, reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples is very very high in the priority list and importance; so they might be holding the event mainly for that announcement; but including a few more minor announcement like 3/5, which as you may be aware is of 0.000000000000000001% importance if any to Canadian citizens.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
My oh my Mr itsmyid :) You must not follow Canadian politics close enough to call this announcement 'absurd'. I agree that it would be a bit premature if it is just a proposed oath; but we do not know how far it advanced yet right? As per the current government, reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples is very very high in the priority list and importance; so they might be holding the event mainly for that announcement; but including a few more minor announcement like 3/5, which as you may be aware is of 0.000000000000000001% importance if any to Canadian citizens.
The original IRCC announcement says 'we are making an important announcement on C6 changes to the #CitAct on Oct 4' - this oath change is definitely nowhere to be found in any C6 text; also, it is probably true that 3/5 is of 0.000000000000000001% importance if any to Canadian citizens, but this oath change is of zero importance to any Canadian citizens since they either were born here and did not need the oath, or had already done their oath without this change.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
The original IRCC announcement says 'we are making an important announcement on C6 changes to the #CitAct on Oct 4' - this oath change is definitely nowhere to be found in any C6 text; also, it is probably true that 3/5 is of 0.000000000000000001% importance if any to Canadian citizens, but this oath change is of zero importance to any Canadian citizens since they either were born here and did not need the oath, or had already done their oath without this change.
I haven't seen the tweet you are referring to, but someone posted a picture of the announcement saying changes to Citizenship Act not C6. You are correct about the oath importance to citizens; but they are not the targeted audience. It is of importance to indigenous peoples and anyone who cares about reconciliation. Despite it being symbolic, it has a huge weight in Canadian politics. By the way, I am not saying there won't be an announcement about 3/5 rule; most probably there will be.

Reactions: Oboy

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I haven't seen the tweet you are referring to, but someone posted a picture of the announcement saying changes to Citizenship Act not C6. You are correct about the oath importance to citizens; but they are not the targeted audience. It is of importance to indigenous peoples and anyone who cares about reconciliation. Despite it being symbolic, it has a huge weight in Canadian politics. By the way, I am not saying there won't be an announcement about 3/5 rule; most probably there will be.
IRCC‏Verified account @CitImmCanada 13m13 minutes ago

We're making an important announcement on #C6 changes to the #CitAct on October 4. Join us live on Facebook. http://ow.ly/jgbX30fxep0

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013

That's right, an announcement on C6 changes cannot be about oath.

Reactions: MarceauBletard

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Do any indigenous people need to take oath? And and it is safe to say vast majority of people who need to take oath don't have any clue about this issue until they study for the test, and forget about it already a few days after the test, and won't have anything to do with it for the rest of their lives

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013

CIC is a bureaucratic entity, so they don't play politics in that sense. We can only go by what they say.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
Do any indigenous people need to take oath? And and it is safe to say vast majority of people who need to take oath don't have any clue about this issue until they study for the test, and forget about it already a few days after the test, and won't have anything to do with it for the rest of their lives
You are completely misunderstanding me. The oath changes are a result of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission; it has NOTHING to do with the potential citizens. What we as potential citizens think of the oath is of ZERO value to the government. Have you heard of the many cases of a lot of Canadian PR's that refused to become citizens just because the oath requires allegiance to the Queen? I am talking about some that have been living in Canada for decades.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
CIC is a bureaucratic entity, so they don't play politics in that sense. We can only go by what they say.
99% you and itsmyid are correct about Wednesday announcement being about 3/5 rule. I am just entertaining the 1% possibility that it might not be :)

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
You are completely misunderstanding me. The oath changes are a result of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission; it has NOTHING to do with the potential citizens. What we as potential citizens think of the oath is of ZERO value to the government. Have you heard of the many cases of a lot of Canadian PR's that refused to become citizens just because the oath requires allegiance to the Queen? I am talking about some that have been living in Canada for decades.
if oath or vows are that important, the divorce rates of this country wouldn't be as high as 50%, just saying...
Most people simple don't care, that's why it's nothing more than a political showcase

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
99% you and itsmyid are correct about Wednesday announcement being about 3/5 rule. I am just entertaining the 1% possibility that it might not be :)
I am not saying they will 100% or even 80%, 90% announce a date for 3/5, but the possibility of them making the event about oath while saying the event is about C6 is 0%, not 1%

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
if oath or vows are that important, the divorce rates of this country wouldn't be as high as 50%, just saying...
Most people simple don't care, that's why it's nothing more than a political showcase
I respect your freedom to share your opinion, but I recommend you don't go around announcing it just as you are approaching your citizenship application. ;)