+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application (Self Employed + Gulf VISA + Self Employed)

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Hi All

I have been following this forum for a while, here is my story, I am hoping to gain some insight to be able to go in the right direction.

I have completed my 1095+ days, and ready to apply for citizenship, here are the key things I am confused about and want to know what is the best way to address them.

Background
  1. Landed in 2014 as PR, was out of country for about 390 days, a little over a year, was in and out in 2015 and 2016, total days travel was about 600 days in total, during the eligibility period
  2. I have all lease agreements, credit card statements etc
  3. Was employed 2015 / 2016 but was travelling also, so patchy employment, have all t4s and employment contracts etc,
  4. My wife was not a PR when I landed, so sponsored her, my wife and kids, got PR and they landed in Jan 2017,
  5. Was self employed in full 2017 year, gave myself salary reflects on t4s and returns
  6. 2018 was employed with my previous employer for 6 months for a project from jan to jun 2018, then again self employed, basically trying to get the ball rolling, again have payslips contract and it will come on t4 also.
  7. my company has never reported a profit as its a one man show, hence the switch between jobs and self employed, but I have files returns, etc, properly
  8. In all this scheme, to make it more complicated, I have a valid non employment gulf visa, which was valid before I came and I have renewed it during the course of my stay in Canada, it is still valid
  9. Year 2017 and 2018 total travel is only 29 days in 2 years, since I am with my family
  10. I also have a valid US visa and been once to day trip at Niagra rainbow bridge

My questions are:
  1. Does it matter if I have patchy employment, because CIC was processing my spousal and kid sponsorship, I had to be away for a bit at times 30 days at times 60 days, since my wife was pregnant also
  2. I have all boarding passes ticket copies, etc, from day one
  3. I am also part of organisations like trade organizations and visit regularly, to support my business building activities
  4. What documents, or additional proof I must submit, along with my application
Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks for putting in time to read this.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
My questions are:
  1. Does it matter if I have patchy employment, because CIC was processing my spousal and kid sponsorship, I had to be away for a bit at times 30 days at times 60 days, since my wife was pregnant also
  3. I am also part of organisations like trade organizations and visit regularly, to support my business building activities
Being gainfully employed in Canada is not a prerequisite for citizenship. What matters is your 'residency obligations'. As long as you can support your claim to the required residency tenure ~ you're good.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
thanks, what documents, would provide residency, other than what i have already stated ?
Don't send anything that is not explicitely listed on the documents checklist. This includes all "additional proof" documents.
If the IRCC agent reviewing your file feels the need to ask for something specific, you'll receive the request for additional documents in due time.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have completed my 1095+ days, and ready to apply for citizenship, here are the key things I am confused about and want to know what is the best way to address them.
I mostly agree with previous observations. In particular those about following the instructions and submitting what is requested.

When in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

Sure, there are exceptions. I did not follow my own advice, and it still went well. But NO, there is nothing to be gained by including any additional proof. Follow the instructions and the checklist.

That said, this question warrants some elaboration with nuance:
Does it matter if I have patchy employment, because CIC was processing my spousal and kid sponsorship, I had to be away for a bit at times 30 days at times 60 days, since my wife was pregnant also
Ultimately what matters is meeting the eligibility requirements. 1095 days actual presence during the eligibility period meets the presence requirement.

Employment is NOT a requirement.

But regular employment IN Canada, working for a readily recognized Canadian employer and at a physical facility located in a readily verified location in Canada, is one of the best indicators of actual presence.

In contrast, a patchwork of jobs and travel abroad does not carry the same weight. Generally this should be NO PROBLEM, but it is a situation for which prudence suggests having a little extra buffer of presence over the minimum. All applicants would be wise to have a significant buffer. Whether 10 days is enough, or ten weeks would be better, or ten months would be a good idea, depends on the particular individual's specific facts. No one rule fits all. Indeed, what is a wise buffer varies greatly, and ultimately what matters is (1) IRCC is satisfied the applicant's calculation is reasonably reliable, and (2) that establishes at least 1095 days presence during the eligibility period.

But if IRCC has doubts, has questions, that can mean RQ related non-routine processing, requests for more information and documentation, and a longer processing timeline, maybe just a few months longer, maybe a lot longer.

How much buffer to have is a personal choice. Personally I waited well over an extra year to apply. But there was a confluence of personal reasons why that was a fair decision in my individual circumstances.

In any event, how patchy your presence was, and for how long, is something to take into consideration in making the decision about WHEN to apply. Way, way too many base that decision on just reaching the minimum number of days, and end up waiting a lot longer to take the oath.

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My next-door-neighbour (Senior Banking Executive in Dubai) was in the same situation, even a little worse than yours -

- wasn't employed for all 5 years,
- not even self-employed,
- travelled (using his past earnings) to Dubai frequently,
- the reason of travel was to manage Dubai employment visa for himself and residence his entire family,
- managed 6 months-must enter UAE requirements

BUT completed all required ties requirements:
- completed the residency days religiously (1095+)
- managed the rental-home in Canada (paying rent when away for a month or so)
- managed vehicles in Canada
- kids remain in Canadain schools
- enrolled with Seneca College in his last 2 years
- his wife worked occasionally
- submitted Character certificates from Dubai
- submitted English translation of UAE Exit-Entry stamp from Dubai during the interview with Canadian Citizenship Officer

The family became a Canadian citizen last Saturday. Their application was routined and took only 8 months, the info I have from them because my husband is their Canadian passport guarantor!

So joblessness, UAE work visa etc have no significance unless you are meeting the residency requirements and have strong ties with Canada.

Good luck!

Hi All

I have been following this forum for a while, here is my story, I am hoping to gain some insight to be able to go in the right direction.

Background
  1. Landed in 2014 as PR, was out of the country for about 390 days, a little over a year, was in and out in 2015 and 2016, total days travel was about 600 days in total, during the eligibility period
  2. I have all lease agreements, credit card statements etc
  3. Was employed 2015 / 2016 but was travelling also so patchy employment, have all t4s and employment contracts etc,
  4. My wife was not a PR when I landed, so sponsored her, my wife and kids, got PR and they landed in Jan 2017,
  5. Was self-employed in full 2017 year, gave myself salary reflects on t4s and returns
  6. 2018 was employed with my previous employer for 6 months for a project from jan to jun 2018, then again self employed, basically trying to get the ball rolling, again have payslips contract and it will come on t4 also.
  7. my company has never reported a profit as its a one man show, hence the switch between jobs and self employed, but I have files returns, etc, properly
  8. In all this scheme, to make it more complicated, I have a valid non employment gulf visa, which was valid before I came and I have renewed it during the course of my stay in Canada, it is still valid
  9. Year 2017 and 2018 total travel is only 29 days in 2 years, since I am with my family
  10. I also have a valid US visa and been once to day trip at Niagra rainbow bridge

My questions are:

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
My next-door-neighbour (Senior Banking Executive in Dubai) was in the same situation, even a little worse than yours -

- wasn't employed for all 5 years,
- not even self-employed,
- travelled (using his past earnings) to Dubai frequently,
- the reason of travel was to manage Dubai employment visa for himself and residence his entire family,
- managed 6 months-must enter UAE requirements

BUT completed all required ties requirements:
- completed the residency days religiously (1095+)
- managed the rental-home in Canada (paying rent when away for a month or so)
- managed vehicles in Canada
- kids remain in Canadain schools
- enrolled with Seneca College in his last 2 years
- his wife worked occasionally
- submitted Character certificates from Dubai
- submitted English translation of UAE Exit-Entry stamp from Dubai during the interview with Canadian Citizenship Officer

The family became a Canadian citizen last Saturday. Their application was routined and took only 8 months, the info I have from them because my husband is their Canadian passport guarantor!

So joblessness, UAE work visa etc have no significance unless you are meeting the residency requirements and have strong ties with Canada.

Good luck!
Hi NN74
Thank you so much for the detailed response, I do have significant ties, in the sense that I have a mortgaged home, my wife and kids are here too and kids are not school going age yet, all vaccinations, etc, doctor visits are upto date, have a vehicle with full insurance history, etc.

I do plan to keep a buffer before applying and will not surely apply on the dot 1095.

I had one more question, though, do we need to write a cover letter explaining anything, i.e. the eligibility, etc,, I will be applying with my 2 kids together, as there is no residency requirement for them

Thanks again for the valuable feedback