+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application Question 6b

pardu

Nov 3, 2012
Is there a difference between the date you became a permanent resident and the date you came to live in Canada?
Question 6B :When did you first come to live in Canada if different from "6A"
I became a permanent resident in 2007 but I left and came back to live here in 2010.
Can any one advice me, which date I suppose to use or just leave blank.

Thanks in advance.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
pardu said:
Is there a difference between the date you became a permanent resident and the date you came to live in Canada?
I became a permanent resident in 2007 but I left and came back to live here in 2010.

Thanks in advance.
Don't leave it blank - that's for sure.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pardu said:

Thanks in advance.
This is what I have found on the instruction guide:

Question 6A

Write the date when you became a permanent resident (landed immigrant).

To find this date, refer to your:

Record of Landing – IMM 1000 (box 45)
Confirmation of Permanent Residence – IMM 5292 (box 45)
Confirmation of Permanent Residence – IMM 5688 (Personal information)
Permanent resident card (back)

Question 6B

Write the date when you first came to Canada to live.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
pardu said:

Thanks in advance.
One scenario I can say is 6B can be earlier than 6A - when one comes in on work permit ot as a student and then later turns to PR.

In your specific case, wait on seniors to respond.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I think boltz is right. because when you come as a student or on work permit, it counts as a half day.

This is what states on the following link;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0407E.pdf

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
I have similar issue. I'm going to put the same date on both field, the date I landed and became PR. My understanding is that you should put different dates only if you came to canada before becoming PR... So that they can count per-PR time if applicable.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pardu said:

Thanks in advance.
•The date when you first came to Canada to live (A) must be the same as or before the date you became a permanent resident (B). This is the error message you may get from residence calculator. So what you need to do is put 2007 as the date you became permanent resident and also the same date as the date you came to live in Canada. Indeed when people land as PR they come to live and after that some ppl decide to take a break and go back to their country of origin to spend few months or few years . In your case you'll talk about your going back for 3 years as an ABSENCE from Canada and will need to justify that absence.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Goldline said:
•The date when you first came to Canada to live (A) must be the same as or before the date you became a permanent resident (B). This is the error message you may get from residence calculator. So what you need to do is put 2007 as the date you became permanent resident and also the same date as the date you came to live in Canada. Indeed when people land as PR they come to live and after that some ppl decide to take a break and go back to their country of origin to spend few months or few years . In your case you'll talk about your going back for 3 years as an ABSENCE from Canada and will need to justify that absence.
True. If you were in Canada (visitor, work permit, student visa) before becoming PR, then 6B is the date you came to Canada on non-immigrant visa and 6A is landing date. Otherwise, both dates are same. If you left Canada after becoming PR then it is considered as an absence.

Reactions: Whocares

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Goldline said:
There you go! Bang on target. It's the same date in both fields then!

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
boltz said:
There you go! Bang on target. It's the same date in both fields then!
Update: Actually found this on another forum post canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t234218.0.html

Original comment:

We haven't filed our application yet, since I am waiting on my wife's CELPIP score, but just so I am clear on this point, if the data of becoming a permanent resident (Question 6A) is the same as the date you came to live in Canada (question 6B), then shouldn't 6B be left blank (the form states to list the date if different from 6A)?

In our case, we landed in Jan 2011, went back to our home country after staying for a week, and then moved back permanently in June 2011. So even though I would consider that we formally moved back in June, the online residency calculator did not allow me to use this date as the date when we came to live in Canada. In fact, I got a warning message that this date must be the same or earlier than the one for when we became permanent resident. So I am reasonably comfortable with answering 6A with the date we became PRs and leaving 6B as blank.

However, in the interest of satisfying a paranoia, would someone kindly advise if I should put an N/A in 6B rather than leaving it blank (so the reviewing officer doesn't think I skipped the question by mistake)? Or am I really over-thinking here?

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
DO NOT LEAVE BLANK and DO NOT PUT N/A
Put the date you landed or COPR date on both fields

fdk511 said:
Update: Actually found this on another forum post canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t234218.0.html

Original comment:

We haven't filed our application yet, since I am waiting on my wife's CELPIP score, but just so I am clear on this point, if the data of becoming a permanent resident (Question 6A) is the same as the date you came to live in Canada (question 6B), then shouldn't 6B be left blank (the form states to list the date if different from 6A)?

In our case, we landed in Jan 2011, went back to our home country after staying for a week, and then moved back permanently in June 2011. So even though I would consider that we formally moved back in June, the online residency calculator did not allow me to use this date as the date when we came to live in Canada. In fact, I got a warning message that this date must be the same or earlier than the one for when we became permanent resident. So I am reasonably comfortable with answering 6A with the date we became PRs and leaving 6B as blank.

However, in the interest of satisfying a paranoia, would someone kindly advise if I should put an N/A in 6B rather than leaving it blank (so the reviewing officer doesn't think I skipped the question by mistake)? Or am I really over-thinking here?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
arambi said:
DO NOT LEAVE BLANK and DO NOT PUT N/A
Put the date you landed or COPR date on both fields
see the following link:

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

What happens next?
The calculator will tell you if you meet the residence requirement.

If you meet the residence requirement, you can print the calculation and attach a copy to your Application for Canadian Citizenship - Adults. If you attach a copy, you do not need to fill in sections 6(A) and 6(B) of the application. Simply check the option 'Online Residence Calculator' in question 6(H). Make sure that the date of application used in this calculation and the date of signature on the application form and on the calculation printout are the same.