+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application income tax question

ganger631

May 16, 2018
Hi all,

I've resided in Canada for 10 years now and I've reached an age in which I could apply for Canadian Citizenship on my own. I've filled out all the paperwork and gathered all the necessary documents. However, before I send my application out, I have a few question with regards to the income section on my application. Since I never had a job prior to this year and remain a full time student till now(on break), do I have the obligation to pay income taxes? I own no property and no income(only interests resp money). I have asked a lady from the CRA office, and she had informed me while it wasn't necessary me to file taxes, however filing taxes could be an advantage since I could receive some benefits. I just want to get a second opinion before I potentially throw away $530. Thanks

Forgot to note that I had received a t5 slip earlier this year, not sure if this changes the case.

Best regards,

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi all,

I've resided in Canada for 10 years now and I've reached an age in which I could apply for Canadian Citizenship on my own. I've filled out all the paperwork and gathered all the necessary documents. However, before I send my application out, I have a few question with regards to the income section on my application. Since I never had a job prior to this year and remain a full time student till now(on break), do I have the obligation to pay income taxes? I own no property and no income(only interests resp money). I have asked a lady from the CRA office, and she had informed me while it wasn't necessary me to file taxes, however filing taxes could be an advantage since I could receive some benefits. I just want to get a second opinion before I potentially throw away $530. Thanks

Forgot to note that I had received a t5 slip earlier this year, not sure if this changes the case.

Best regards,
Not everyone that has income has to file tax returns. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html

That said, if you do work at all, part-time jobs while you're in school, for example, then it is probably beneficial for you to do so. T5 income is sometimes done without any tax withheld, so you may in fact owe depending on the amount.

As for citizenship application reasons, they'll ask for consent to gather information from CRA on your behalf, which you should answer YES and allow them to do so. CRA doesn't just have returns you filed. They will also have any T-slip information that your employers have sent them. If you were not required to file taxes, it won't affect your application that you haven't filed them.

Can-Da

Apr 13, 2018
Hi all,

Best regards,
I am tax professional. Even you are a student, you need to fill your tax returns to claim your tuitions fees credits, your GST credits and provincial credits. You need to fill all the year where you have 19 years and more. Y

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I am tax professional. Even you are a student, you need to fill your tax returns to claim your tuitions fees credits, your GST credits and provincial credits. You need to fill all the year where you have 19 years and more. Y
One is not required to file if they don't owe. It's not required that you file to claim credits. Also, there isn't an age requirement, either. Anyone earning an income can file a tax return and adults that don't owe are not required to file returns. Review the link I included in a previous post.

ganger631

May 16, 2018
Not everyone that has income has to file tax returns. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html

That said, if you do work at all, part-time jobs while you're in school, for example, then it is probably beneficial for you to do so. T5 income is sometimes done without any tax withheld, so you may in fact owe depending on the amount.

As for citizenship application reasons, they'll ask for consent to gather information from CRA on your behalf, which you should answer YES and allow them to do so. CRA doesn't just have returns you filed. They will also have any T-slip information that your employers have sent them. If you were not required to file taxes, it won't affect your application that you haven't filed them.
Hi, Thanks for the reply! If I have recieved a t5 slip, is that equivalent to the government requesting me to file a return? Also, could I still pay for my t5? I think the deadline for that was on April 30th?

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Hi all,

Best regards,
As long as you receive a T4 you should be able to file taxes even if you are over 18 and in post secondary school you should have been filing taxes or You should file taxes there’s is benefits you could receive and if you were in college or university 2 years back there is deductions students could claim which you have carried to future years to reduce tax payable but I think as of sometime in 2017 you cannot claim the education amount.Dont worried if they need extra information they will asked.goodlu

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi, Thanks for the reply! If I have recieved a t5 slip, is that equivalent to the government requesting me to file a return? Also, could I still pay for my t5? I think the deadline for that was on April 30th?
You can file at any time. If you owe, you may have a small penalty since it's late. If you are due a refund, there is no penalty. (I can't imagine you owe when you take into account tuition paid, but I don't know your situation.) The T5 is your employer's documentation that they paid you and it's reported to CRA. You should review on the CRA website further.