+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship and formal notice

josh_1982

Jan 7, 2019
Hi experts,

I have a naive question regarding the implications of a formal notice on the citizenship application process. The thing is that we recently sold our house and the new owners are asking us around 4000$ for small fix repairs in the house. As a proof of good faith we have offered to pay half of this amount (as the reasons to as that money are unfounded). The new owners are not satisfied with our offer and have sent us a formal notice to pay them the 4k or they might proceed with actions to court. So, I wonder which can be the implications, in terms of our potential application for the citizenship, if they go ahead (we are now PR since several years).

Thanks!!!

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hi experts,

I have a naive question regarding the implications of a formal notice on the citizenship application process. The thing is that we recently sold our house and the new owners are asking us around 4000$ for small fix repairs in the house. As a proof of good faith we have offered to pay half of this amount (as the reasons to as that money are unfounded). The new owners are not satisfied with our offer and have sent us a formal notice to pay them the 4k or they might proceed with actions to court. So, I wonder which can be the implications, in terms of our potential application for the citizenship, if they go ahead (we are now PR since several years).

Thanks!!!
That's blackmailing. You should consult a lawyer.

josh_1982

Jan 7, 2019
Hi @Dreamlad and thanks for your prompt answer. Note sure this is blackmailing. Up to some extent, we, as buyers, have some rights for hidden defects in a real state transaction (I know that what they ask is not a hidden defect though, but I am consulting a lawyer tomorrow to answer the formal notice). My question goes more in the direction that even in the case that the buyers have nothing to do, the fact of bringing us to court or to these small court claims (this is how they are called here in quebec) may have a negative effect on our citizenship application.

Qrios1

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
You are talking about prohibitions. Such a case with a civil matter anyway and not a criminal offence. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Consult with a good lawyer as I know that a buyer purchases a home as it stands and that’s the point of a home inspection or run the risk without one. Any home will have defects as long as you didn’t fraudulently told them that something is not wrong and you know it is, e.g the roof is leaking. By the sounds of it, doesn’t seem to be the case. Good luck!

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Hi experts,

Thanks!!!
This is not a matter that would affect any part of your citizenship application. The reasons for which your citizenship application can be affected are very few and are strictly specified in the law.

Just to give you an example more serious than yours: My citizenship was granted while I was (and still am) in the middle of a dispute over $40K the CRA claims I owe them. And their threats are more serious than the ones you seem to be getting.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi experts,

Thanks!!!
1. Absolutely none, it is a civil dispute

Reactions: armoured