+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizen wanting to sponsor non Canadian husband but not living in Canada

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
A few years ... or many years? Seems your friend doesn't know the extent of her ties to Canada.
Almost 6-7 years
Her sister is still here in Canada but that’s about it sister is married not sure how will that work out
Even consultants are finding it difficult to answer..

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Almost 6-7 years
Her sister is still here in Canada but that’s about it sister is married not sure how will that work out
Even consultants are finding it difficult to answer..
Well, she should start with the instructions and start preparing. It's not impossible but they will have to take it seriously. With both factors - few ties to Canada and new marriage - it will get looked at carefully.

She can of course move back to Canada herself but that will mean the couple being split for a period of time.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Please can you post your story?
I’m trying to explain here that girl moved out of Canada for few years , girl got married to non citizen and they both want to come to Canada now they don’t have any property etc can spouse get work visa or how can they move to Canada and start the life from scratch
I hope I’m making sense here
I'm not sure my story would help since I haven't received any feedback from Immigration Canada yet. I've lived outside of Canada for many years, I still have a Canadian bank account and driver's license, lots of family, countless trips back and forth etc. I don't need to get a job when I move to Canada since I have worked remotely for a European company for a long time. I provided my contract and monthly bank statements showing payments coming in from that company on a regular basis. I explained why I wanted to move back, shared contact details from many friends and family who are aware of my intentions. I'm a bit reluctant to tell this because now I think others are going to say what I have provided won't cut it. Time will tell I suppose.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

cjr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
I'm a bit reluctant to tell this because now I think others are going to say what I have provided won't cut it. Time will tell I suppose.
It doesn't matter what "others" are going to say, it matters whether you've documented your intentions to the satisfaction of Immigration Canada.

From what you've written, it sounds like it's quite likely.

If you haven't, they'll ask for additional proof. In which case you send more paper (literally, or digitally...)

Reactions: expatgoingback

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
Well, she should start with the instructions and start preparing. It's not impossible but they will have to take it seriously. With both factors - few ties to Canada and new marriage - it will get looked at carefully.

She can of course move back to Canada herself but that will mean the couple being split for a period of time.
Ok yeah that’s what we are going to do. They don’t plan to file for sponsorship right away
Thank you though
Appreciate it!

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
I'm not sure my story would help since I haven't received any feedback from Immigration Canada yet. I've lived outside of Canada for many years, I still have a Canadian bank account and driver's license, lots of family, countless trips back and forth etc. I don't need to get a job when I move to Canada since I have worked remotely for a European company for a long time. I provided my contract and monthly bank statements showing payments coming in from that company on a regular basis. I explained why I wanted to move back, shared contact details from many friends and family who are aware of my intentions. I'm a bit reluctant to tell this because now I think others are going to say what I have provided won't cut it. Time will tell I suppose.
Your case looks stronger of course hope your application gets approved
Thank you for feedback and sharing your story !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest gathering some more concrete proof and not just the word of friends. Including research about what area you plan on renting and what you expect to have to in that area, copies of emails with real estate/rental agents, copy of correspondence to and from your employer informing them you’ll be returning to Canada and will continue working remotely from there, etc. You can update your file via webform as time progresses since it is often easier to get proof later on in the process.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Would suggest gathering some more concrete proof and not just the word of friends. Including research about what area you plan on renting and what you expect to have to in that area, copies of emails with real estate/rental agents, copy of correspondence to and from your employer informing them you’ll be returning to Canada and will continue working remotely from there, etc. You can update your file via webform as time progresses since it is often easier to get proof later on in the process.
Thanks but I see no reason to do anything when I haven't even received aor. I know how much rents are and more or less what area of the city I will live in and my employer doesn't care where I work from. What you are suggesting just seems like busy work. Why would I contact a real estate agent now when I have no idea when I can move?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks but I see no reason to do anything when I haven't even received aor. I know how much rents are and more or less what area of the city I will live in and my employer doesn't care where I work from. What you are suggesting just seems like busy work. Why would I contact a real estate agent now when I have no idea when I can move?
I did suggest updating your file as time progresses and later on in the process. At that point you will hopefully have some more concrete proof. Only letters from family and friends are unlikely to be sufficient based on other cases. There were too many couples declaring they intended to move back to Canada after securing PR who never actually returned to Canada and just did a soft landing to secure the PR card so now IRCC requires much more proof. There are many posts from others who were asked to provide additional information which can be very difficult for some couples.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
I did suggest updating your file as time progresses and later on in the process. At that point you will hopefully have some more concrete proof. Only letters from family and friends are unlikely to be sufficient based on other cases. There were too many couples declaring they intended to move back to Canada after securing PR who never actually returned to Canada and just did a soft landing to secure the PR card so now IRCC requires much more proof. There are many posts from others who were asked to provide additional information which can be very difficult for some couples.
Guess we'll find out.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Guess we'll find out.
I sponsored my wife for PR in Canada and I hadn’t lived here for nearly 30 years, but we honestly wanted to live in Canada. After deciding where we would live I submitted evidence of apartment, bank, medical, and even Airbnb hunting for our first arrival. My only tie to Canada was a bank account. The application was slow - 17 months for approval - but I was not asked for further documentation of any kind and in fact my wife was approved without an interview. My advice is to research online whare and how you plan to live, and then document the searches for IRCC.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Guess we'll find out.
My strong suspicion is that the level of scrutiny (and hence documentation requirements) varies a fair bit, and likely in part based on country of principal applicant. Some countries have more of these attempts to get PR status 'for backup'. And for applicants from visa waiver countries or who have visited multiple times and/or with long tenor visitor visas, logically the effort is less likely to be invested just to be able to travel. (Looked at another way, many who have visas/waivers could have simply arrived in Canada and applied inland - another reason to not overdo it with scrutiny as fairly obvious that the sponsor/applicant are serious and want to work legally, etc.)

It's also possible that there is more scrutiny for eg sponsors who have fewer ties to Canada and would appear to have returned to their 'home country.'

But that said, too little information from reports here to draw firm conclusions. It's still wise to collect information and make modest preparations in the event that you get an additional documentation request.

For what it's worth, our application and documentation was somewhat similar to what you described above, and we had no additional document request. But we also had some additional info such as university preps for one child - and some aspects a bit less than yours - so I do not know what was decisive. (And all the family had long-term visitor visas and had visited multiple times, so possible the scenario above about inland application was the main factor - no idea).

Reactions: cjr

cjr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
The application was slow - 17 months for approval - but I was not asked for further documentation of any kind and in fact my wife was approved without an interview.
Just curious regarding the 17 months: did you go through the whole process waiting for approval outside of Canada?

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
I sponsored my wife for PR in Canada and I hadn’t lived here for nearly 30 years, but we honestly wanted to live in Canada. After deciding where we would live I submitted evidence of apartment, bank, medical, and even Airbnb hunting for our first arrival. My only tie to Canada was a bank account. The application was slow - 17 months for approval - but I was not asked for further documentation of any kind and in fact my wife was approved without an interview. My advice is to research online whare and how you plan to live, and then document the searches for IRCC.
Thank you, do you believe the slowness of the application was due to it taking longer for them to decide on your intent to return?