+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizen wanting to sponsor non Canadian husband but not living in Canada

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
How does a Canadian citizen apply for Spousal sponsorship for her non Canadian husband , citizen has been living out of Canada for many years so no tax filing and no income, how to proceed in this case?
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
How does a Canadian citizen apply for Spousal sponsorship for her non Canadian husband , citizen has been living out of Canada for many years so no tax filing and no income, how to proceed in this case?
Thanks
You apply as outland + Canadian citizen living abroad and show how you will support your spouse and evidence of intent to return to Canada (your preparations).

Or you can return to Canada before or with your spouse (if he has visa or visa waiver).

Read the instructions to start.

Reactions: esam99

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
You apply as outland + Canadian citizen living abroad and show how you will support your spouse and evidence of intent to return to Canada (your preparations).

Or you can return to Canada before or with your spouse (if he has visa or visa waiver).

thanks but that’s the question where to start from?
it’s not for me I’m asking for someone
She’s citizen getting married to non citizen they plan to come to Canada after marriage but how do they start whole process?
Outland application guide still says show proof but she’s not in Canada ..

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
She’s citizen getting married to non citizen they plan to come to Canada after marriage but how do they start whole process?
What do you mean by "outland application guide still says show proof but she's not canada"? What proof? If she is a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada and is married to a person who is not a resident/citizen of Canada she should apply for Outland Family Sponsorship since that's exactly what it's for.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Don't really understand the question but you start with the web and reading the instructions.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Proof such as having a home (own/leased) and/or an employment waiting for the sponsor (which in this case will be your Canadian citizen friend) and the sponsored spouse to move back to Canada.

For owned home, your friend can provide documents such as the property tax notice.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Proof such as having a home (own/leased) and/or an employment waiting for the sponsor and the sponsored spouse to move back to Canada.

For owned home, you can provide the property tax notice.
Yes, she would need to provide proof that she intends on moving back to Canada when the application has been approved. I suppose each person would have different ways of proving that intention, personally I don't own a property but provided an explanatory letter which I hope will suffice.

Reactions: YVR123 and esam99

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'd note that they will ask for more serious proof if she has few ties to Canada remaining and the marriage may come under scrutiny if married shortly before applying - ie it may look like the purpose of the marriage is to get pr status.

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
What do you mean by "outland application guide still says show proof but she's not canada"? What proof? If she is a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada and is married to a person who is not a resident/citizen of Canada she should apply for Outland Family Sponsorship since that's exactly what it's for.
Oh ok I got it. Thanks

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
Ok so first she needs to buy a house? That’s the part We don’t understand they are planning to move to Canada after marriage but they don’t have any job or house in Canada , girl moved out of country for few years now wishing to comeback

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
Proof such as having a home (own/leased) and/or an employment waiting for the sponsor (which in this case will be your Canadian citizen friend) and the sponsored spouse to move back to Canada.

For owned home, your friend can provide documents such as the property tax notice.
She doesn’t have any such ties here the family moved to other country for few years so they don’t have a house or a job in Canada , they wish to start all over again now

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
Yes, she would need to provide proof that she intends on moving back to Canada when the application has been approved. I suppose each person would have different ways of proving that intention, personally I don't own a property but provided an explanatory letter which I hope will suffice.
Please can you post your story?
I’m trying to explain here that girl moved out of Canada for few years , girl got married to non citizen and they both want to come to Canada now they don’t have any property etc can spouse get work visa or how can they move to Canada and start the life from scratch
I hope I’m making sense here

Voice19

Jul 23, 2019
I'd note that they will ask for more serious proof if she has few ties to Canada remaining and the marriage may come under scrutiny if married shortly before applying - ie it may look like the purpose of the marriage is to get pr status.
How much time should they wait before applying ?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
She doesn’t have any such ties here the family moved to other country for few years so they don’t have a house or a job in Canada , they wish to start all over again now
I'm sorry to tell you, but our country has now made it VERY difficult for expats who marry abroad to bring in their spouses to Canada for resettlement, after having severed ties with Canada. I mean its POSSIBLE, but its extremely difficult. You will need serious proof, not just a promissory note or emails to a pet company.
I read a case even a sponsor who returned to Canada during the application process, was rejected for lack of Intent proof.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
We understand your story but no matter how hard, your friend still needs to show proof of intent, how your friend does that is the question but listing all the things she does not have because she moved out years ago is irrelevant.

If she cannot get strong proof of her intent (such as buying a place or signing a lease for one), she needs to collect more proof that will be considered weaker:

First she will need a detailed letter explaining the plan: which province, probably which city, why this particular place, why the decision now, why leave where she has been living for years now...
Then she needs as many proof as possible (or strong ones) to support this plan. For example:
  • Research the period in that province where they would not have health coverage and obtain quotes, on paper, of coverage for them both for that period.
  • If you plan to move stuff, get quotes, whether it is the extra luggage on flights or if in the US moving company quotes.
  • Get PDF of the search for flights from where they live to the city they want to settle in in Canada.
  • Get PDF of search of houses for rent or for sale in the city they want to settle in.
  • If it is the same city as where she lived before leaving Canada proof of her living there (tax return, school whatever).
  • Do research on the paperwork they will need to get (driver license equivalency, degree equivalency, opening a bank account) and show proof of that research.
  • If Kids, do the same for the impact on them.
Those are just some points, it shows intent through having a strong and detailed plan.

The marriage thing is another can of worms but only really if they were not in a relationship prior to the marriage, showing a strong history for their relationship before (shared finances, living in the same place for years (or at least a year), vacations together, publicly in a relationship for a year). Definitely one thing to look at in detail if applicable.