+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizen sponsoring spouse leaving Canada after filing application

jcurtsy

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
I'm a Canadian citizen living and working in AB, Canada. I want to sponsor Indian citizen spouse who is living in India.

1) FILING PR SPONSORSHIP DURING 2 WEEK VACATION
I will be on vacation in India for 2 weeks , after which I will come back to Canada. During the vacation, we plan to file for my spouse. Technically when we file from India, it is "outland sponsorship application from outside Canada", right? Or should it be under the category of "outland application from inside canada", since I will reach back Canada by the time they get my application package (not even mention that I am outside Canada)?

2) LEAVING CANADA TO WORK IN USA FOR A CANADIAN EMPLOYER FOR 14 MONTHS
About 1-3 months after my vacation in India, my employer may send me to USA to work anywhere from 8-14 months in our USA office (on L1 visa which takes 1-3 months for processing). I am not sure I will go USA yet, but I don't want to wait 3 months to see whether or not I will be going to USA. My employer decides this. I prefer to go to USA, since I can bring my spouse from India on L2 visa (dependent of L1) and L2 visa has work authorization in the US. So I can stay with my spouse during the application process and come back here as a couple- MY DREAM!)

Will I have to withdraw my PR sponsorship application and pay application fees again to address this location-change from Canada to USA?

Should I mention during my application that I am leaving Canada? Or should I send an address update after the application is sent?

What is the best route now? Should I mention in the application that we are applying from India mentioning our intention to come to Canada after the PR approval of spouse and later update the US address, if I get a US assignment?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm a Canadian citizen living and working in AB, Canada. I want to sponsor Indian citizen spouse who is living in India.

1) FILING PR SPONSORSHIP DURING 2 WEEK VACATION
I will be on vacation in India for 2 weeks , after which I will come back to Canada. During the vacation, we plan to file for my spouse. Technically when we file from India, it is "outland sponsorship application from outside Canada", right? Or should it be under the category of "outland application from inside canada", since I will reach back Canada by the time they get my application package (not even mention that I am outside Canada)?

2) LEAVING CANADA TO WORK IN USA FOR A CANADIAN EMPLOYER FOR 14 MONTHS
About 1-3 months after my vacation in India, my employer may send me to USA to work anywhere from 8-14 months in our USA office (on L1 visa which takes 1-3 months for processing). I am not sure I will go USA yet, but I don't want to wait 3 months to see whether or not I will be going to USA. My employer decides this. I prefer to go to USA, since I can bring my spouse from India on L2 visa (dependent of L1) and L2 visa has work authorization in the US. So I can stay with my spouse during the application process and come back here as a couple- MY DREAM!)

Will I have to withdraw my PR sponsorship application and pay application fees again to address this location-change from Canada to USA?

Should I mention during my application that I am leaving Canada? Or should I send an address update after the application is sent?

What is the best route now? Should I mention in the application that we are applying from India mentioning our intention to come to Canada after the PR approval of spouse and later update the US address, if I get a US assignment?
in order to get approved you will need concrete proof that you will return to Canada once you get PR. Canada has gotten pretty strict with proof because many never returned to Canada.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Since you applied from India it is outside application and not outside application from inside Canada (the determinant is where the PA resides and not where the sponsor resides).

You as the sponsor need to show whether or not you reside in Canada (including your address). If you reside in Canada during the application then you will state where you "currently" live. When you move to the US you will need to update them on the move. You will need to show proof that you will return to Canada once your spouse becomes a PR. Here you need to consider the fact that you are just about to move, meaning possibilities of you returning in a year are minimal. And they will question this

jcurtsy

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Hello,
Will a letter from my company stating that "this is a temporary US assignment, and the length of the assignment as 10 or 11 months" be enough to prove that I will return to Canada? or what do they need as proof? Can you give an example please?

in order to get approved you will need concrete proof that you will return to Canada once you get PR. Canada has gotten pretty strict with proof because many never returned to Canada.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
You should show intent to return to Canada immediately upon approval. I am not sure about having specific dates...it might indicate that should your spouse's PRbe approved months before the mentioned date you won't return to Canada (with her). But at the same time if we concider the processing time for PR, then the mentioned dates should be fine.

You can also add to that where you intend to live (if it's rented housing then you can include rental searches and communication between you and the landlord, if it's with family you can include letters from family stating that they expect you to return to Canada and you will be living with them until you are ready to get your own place etc. Your wife's plans when she lands. (Could be job searches, plans to register with a professional association, school, searches for cultural communities/activities etc)If you have children, you can include searches/inquiries of schools. Even plane tickets to return to Canada.

You just need to write up a detailed plan showing your intent to returning. And be prepared to be asked for more proof.

There are many who were/are in the same situation with you. Try to search on this forum to get an understanding of the situation from people who have actually experienced it.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would say you will need more than a note from your employer saying this is a temporary placement expected to end in 10 months. Very common for jobs to run late or company to decide that she fits in so well at the US office she should stay for longer.