CIT-0171 RQ 2016 timeline - "Residency Questionnaire"

Moe975

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Today 5th july 2016 during my citizenship test the officer issued me an RQ

i would appreciate if any one has similar case to share there timeline after RQ submittal (how long would it take)

Appreciated

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: RQ 2016 timeline - "Residency Questionnaire"

A friend of mine got one in Nov, her oath was on June 9th.

Do u know why u were given one?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

How it goes in RQ'd cases, including how long it takes, is very much dependent on the particular facts and circumstances in the individual case. Very little about the timeline can be gleaned just from the fact of RQ.

The reason for RQ makes a difference. But even more so, how the applicant responds to the RQ and what substantive issues there are in the case, will make a difference.

We are in a bit of a transition now relative to these procedures. Prior to the Liberal government, it was apparent that CIC had moved toward issuing CIT 0520 requests more than full-blown RQ. I have not seen many reports of either CIT 0520 or CIT 0171 (RQ) since the Liberals took over, but more RQs than CIT 0520. The reason this makes a difference is that the CIT 0520 often signaled a minor question which this or that particular document could resolve, and if the documents resolved the issue then full-blown RQ was avoided.

If the Liberals are not issuing CIT 0520 requests, IRCC might simply be issuing RQ to all citizenship applicants for which there is a residency or presence related question. But we do not know. Forum reports are too sporadic to offer many clues.

In any event, it is possible that IRCC is issuing RQ rather than CIT 0520 for minor issues, in which event it will be far more difficult to predict what effect or how long it will take when issued RQ. The issues could be minor or serious. Timelines will vary widely.

If, in contrast, IRCC is following the approach CIC was in 2015 (going back to at least late 2014), getting RQ would signal a more or less significant problem has been identified and thus not only is the full blown response required but IRCC will be scrutinizing the application and applicant far more thoroughly. And the timeline will be longer.

But until there are sufficient forum reports to show a clear pattern, it will be difficult if not impossible to discern much from the mere instance of being issued RQ. Indeed, in this regard, it would be good if any applicants who have received CIT 0520 this year report their experience . . . if for no reason other than indicating to what extent IRCC is also still issuing CIT 0520 rather than RQ (or to indicate that IRCC is indeed still using CIT 0520).

Moe975

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I appreciate your valuable response.

I was issued CIT-0171 (Residency Questionnaire), based on I had a previous application back in 2010 which was not successful to the lack of residency evidences which i failed to fulfill.

I appreciate your valuable feedback

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Re: RQ 2016 timeline - "Residency Questionnaire" CIT-0171

Moe975 said:
I appreciate your valuable response.

I was issued CIT-0171 (Residency Questionnaire), based on I had a previous application back in 2010 which was not successful to the lack of residency evidences which i failed to fulfill.

I appreciate your valuable feedback
That is more or less a technical reason for issuing RQ . . . most applicants who made a previous unsuccessful application are subject to RQ in the second application.

It is interesting that you got this RQ at the test. I have not been noticing reports of pre-test RQs lately, not since Minister McCallum has been at the reigns of IRCC. The whole pre-test RQ process was a Harper-Perrin-Kenney plan. Under the triage criteria in the pre-test RQ process, a previous unsuccessful application was a clear trigger for pre-test RQ.

That does not illuminate much for you but it might signal changes in general.

If the only reason for issuing you RQ was the fact of a previous failed application and there were no overt indications of misrepresentation made in either the earlier application or this one, and this time you clearly met the requirements and can document your presence in Canada, you should be able to appropriately complete the RQ and so long as your information and supporting documentation establish your qualifications, especially as to presence in Canada, the process should be fairly smooth. Time line is still impossible to guess, given all the changes that have taken place, but it should be no where near as along as RQ'd cases took in the past.

Good luck and please keep us informed as to how this goes.

Note: but of course IRCC will compare information in this application with the information you previously submitted in the other application, plus information in any other applications you have made, such as to obtain a renewed PR card for example. Should be no discrepancies apparent in comparing one to the other. Discrepancies could be problematic.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I received both RQ and CIT 0520 on May 2, 2016, still waiting on some documents from the US govt for entry exits. Send them everything they request before the deadline or as soon as you can. Then if you get any additional documents forward those on as soon as you receive them. I am still playing the waiting game as well. Hope mine is only 6 months or less, but not sure.

fishbone

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Data point for you: I was issued an RQ in Dec 2015 and my oath was in June 2016.

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal

fishbone said:
Data point for you: I was issued an RQ in Dec 2015 and my oath was in June 2016.
Impossible to predict... Mine was issued in June/July 2014, still waiting...

Moe975

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

i do appreciate you informative response especially dpenabill :)
My current application and the previous unsuccessful one dont not overlap. As i was issued previously a deportation order back in 2012 while i was bringing my family for good to canada, the appeal took almost 4 years to be resolved and i won the case in last april 2016 based on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds . Family got their citizenship last month passed with 3/4 years criteria.

Please note since 2012 arrival we never left Canada including me

Thanks

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NO given both cit 0520 and RQ 0171 in the mail about month and half after the test. I am still waiting for information from US border patrol agency for US Entry Exits, may never get it though. I likely need to talk to CIC so they are not waiting and maybe can process without it but not sure how that works.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
MW2015 said:
NO given both cit 0520 and RQ 0171 in the mail about month and half after the test. I am still waiting for information from US border patrol agency for US Entry Exits, may never get it though. I likely need to talk to CIC so they are not waiting and maybe can process without it but not sure how that works.

Just curious, what documents from USA are acceptable to CIC guys and where are you getting them from?

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is called an FOIA request - Freedom of Information Act. Took over two months and still waiting, said they released documents but I have not received a link to download anything as of yet.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
MW2015 said:
It is called an FOIA request - Freedom of Information Act. Took over two months and still waiting, said they released documents but I have not received a link to download anything as of yet.
But does the CIC hold any value to them and have others found it useful, or it is 'for my own satisfaction' thing?