+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC giving wrong PGWP

jinal parmar

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Hi everyone,

CIC is giving one year work permit to students who have done two courses. I am also doing my second course in the hope of getting 3 years work permit. But its so disappointing that my two friends got just one year work permit after doing two courses.

Another friend did just one year course and she got 3 years work permit.

Not sure what is CIC doing. It has given 3 year work permit to people who just did one semester GAS course.

Unfair to those who spend so much doing two courses. :-[

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's depends on course...

If your friend change their provine from one course to one course... CIC only give short pgwp... not 3 years...

So, you are better to go 2 years course such as master degree or diploma instead of post graduate certificate or certificate.

jinal parmar

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Hey Denta,

Thanks for replying. But it seems CIC has changed rules of PGWP or making mistake.

My friend did two courses back to back at George Brown College and she got one year work permit.

Another friend did one course from centennial and other from George brown and got one year.

Another friend did one year project management course from Centennial college and got 3 years work permit.

These I know from my friends. There are many more cases which I came to know. No logic I can see. It's like a lottery now.

luvly3

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
It actually depends on the officer attending to the case..I just finished a 1 year program and wanted to take another one year program at Red River College so i could get a 3 year work permit but was advised not to take the program by RRC international student department because these days most students get only one year post grad work permit after doing 2 separate programs.

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jinal parmar said:
Hey Denta,

Thanks for replying. But it seems CIC has changed rules of PGWP or making mistake.

My friend did two courses back to back at George Brown College and she got one year work permit.

Another friend did one course from centennial and other from George brown and got one year.

Another friend did one year project management course from Centennial college and got 3 years work permit.

These I know from my friends. There are many more cases which I came to know. No logic I can see. It's like a lottery now.

That's werid... Is there any changes the law of PGWP? Most international students think that they can get 3 years pgwp from two separate programs from ontario public colleges and universities.

Then, people should be aware .... they have to go 2 years course.... Extra study and tuition.. for 3 years pgwp.

jinal parmar

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Yes its weired. But its happening this session only. You can check with people who have applied for PGWP. Out of 5 of my frieds only two got three years work permit. That to one who did one year course got 3 years. It's really weird and I am concerned about it. As I am in my second program now. I will advise everyone not to go for two program as there is no guarantee of 3 years work permit any more.

Ashik123

Mar 13, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
May 05, 2020
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
05-05-2020
Med's Done....
26-06-2020
Interview........
12-01-2021
But according to the rule, students are eligible for 3 years work permit in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different participating institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/RESOURCES/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

If that's not the case, then its really alarming and concerning too ! :eek:

Ashik123

Mar 13, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
May 05, 2020
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
05-05-2020
Med's Done....
26-06-2020
Interview........
12-01-2021
I think they should file a complaint and provide a letter of CIC rule document (provided above) to the respective department and ask for explanation from them. Don't just sit, go for it ! :-X

Ashik123

Mar 13, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
May 05, 2020
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
05-05-2020
Med's Done....
26-06-2020
Interview........
12-01-2021
Try connecting with Mr.John McCallum, Honorable Minister for CIC, regarding the issue. Here's his mail address: John@ElectMcCallum.ca
Hope he can provide a better solution and please keep us updated. Thank You.
Here's more about the Minister: https://johnmccallum.liberal.ca/

a.pe

Nov 5, 2015
Hi, I also have concerns with PGWP. I arrived to Canada last year with working holiday visa, then I've decided to stay but after deep research and consultations I found out that the only good an legal option for me its to go to school and then get a PGWP, find a job in a field and after 12 month experience apply for pernament recidency. I am enrolled at Toronto Film School, because they have a good program, intense 12 month of practice classes, which is good for me. I already have my masters and I don'thave time or money to do another master or bachelor..again. So I've decided to start with this school and before applying I was telling them all my plan and nobody ever correct me. And now, after 1 month of classes I randomly found out that even though they are a DLI you are not guaranteed of receiving PGWP after. That is possible but its not sure. They couldnt answer any of my questions, nor give me any numbers. I honestly don't know what to do. As we all know, fees for international students are enormous. In the same time, having 8 classes a week doesnt allow you to work as much as you have to, so you have problems with supporting yourself and you are constantly exhausted and have no life. But even though, i know that I'm learning and I want to stay here. But I don't think that I should be gambling that hige amount of money,for something that i don't actually have to do, and then be forced to live the contry with a dbt that i would never be able to pa back, because it would be more than 3 times more in my country. they only way to pay it back is to stay here, get a job and work my ass. And I'm ready to do that, but I want to be sure that it's gonna happen..so my question is: is there anyone here that finished Toronto Film School and got PGWP? I need some numbers to get an idea what I should do. And it has to be till the end of this week. So please help me. Also wanted to ask what would happen if I drop out of school? Will my study permit get cancelled? Are there any other ways to make it happen? And somehow be able to legaly stay here and be able to work? I suppose that if I dont finish my studies I wont get another study permit. And this was the only way to get PGWP. But now, if Im not even sure if I'm gonna get one, I dont know if I should continue with that. Does anyone have any advice for me? please help me, I seriously don't know what to do and i was trying to call everybody I could but nobody can give me an aswer. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Really feeling very sad. I had completed two years of study, each year from a separate but recognized college in Canada and was totally eligible for three years work permit. But, I'm shocked to see today that I just got one year work permit after having invested so much money into education. This is such an unfair decision from CIC. Don't know what to do. Can somebody help me?

princegabby

Oct 29, 2016
jinal parmar said:
Hi,
You can reapply, my friends have done that.
What do you mean they reapplied? Please kindly elaborate. Did they call CIC and inquire to reply or just resent their application. If you can kindly ask them and give a little more detail it would be really helpful as some of us are experiencing the same issues. Your assistance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks