+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Choosing a university in Canada is a tough decision.

people

Oct 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Very unlikely. Most bricks and mortar universities won't accept transfer credits from virtual universities.
What about Athabasca University?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Athabasca may be an exception. But even then, I would be surprised if full credits were granted.

Even if you transfer between two bricks and mortar schools of equal reputation, you typically lose credits.

North

May 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are 13 very good universities in Canada, known as G13. They are the ones making the research in Canada and competing with big US and European and Asian universities in research and teaching. These are (in alphabetic order),

Dalhousie University
Laval University
McGill University
McMaster University
Queen's University
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia
University of Calgary
University of Montreal
University of Ottawa
University of Toronto
University of Waterloo
University of Western Ontario

I would compare them with Britain's top 13 universities,

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
UCL
St Andrews
King's College
U of Sussex
U of Bristol
U of Edinburgh
U of Leicester
U of Nottingham
U of Exeter
U of Warwick

Interesting enough, 70 percent of G13 are based at Ontario, Canada's most urbanized province due to its geographical closeness to Michigan. Universities in Ontario are good but the province itself is very expensive to live. I know from my own experience that Toronto is actually more expensive than London. I had visited my friends two summers ago, and I was shocked by the prices of accomodation, utility bills, food, beverage, and clothing. London in my eyes had looked like Leicester (one of the cheapes places in the UK). Not exactly student friendly. In order to study in Quebec, one needs to have a proficiency in French too, because people mostly speak French there. On the other side, Universities at Alberta and Calgary are very good places to do study anything. Alberta and Calgary both are huge schools with top-researching academics, and their qualities are as good as Toronto and McGill. They are multidisciplinary and offer generous funding. Cities of Edmonton and Calgary are both beautiful and vibrant, very student-oriented with lots of sports and arts activities, although less multicultural than Toronto or Ottawa. As a person who lived in Scotland, I don't think the weather there is as cold as the weather in Aberdeen or St. Andrews. Additionally, there is British Columbia, where there are three good universities, as University of British Columbia, University of Victoria, and Simon Fraser University.

I think all universities in Canada are great regardless of G13. For sure, they are better than most British universities in terms of endorsing students in many respects, chiefly, in funding. Yet since their quality is high, they are likely to admit high quality students who have distinguished or original interests. Canadian unis are often very multidisciplinary and their encouragement for critical and original thinking is way better than British universities.

So choosing a university in Canada ain't that tough at all. They all are good and even better than most uni's around the world. In my experience, in the UK, the choice of university has become much more difficult with David Cameron's recent budget cuts.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I bet London, Ontario would be a cheaper place to live than London, UK ;D

manofthematch

May 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian Career Coach said:
There are only 3 Universities in Toronto. University of Toronto, Ryerson and York. UofT will likely have the highest grade requirements for any program. Some colleges in Toronto have joint programs with Universities, so this may be an option for you. Example: Humber College has a relationship with Guelph University (the main Guelph University campus is about 1.25 hours outside of Toronto).

Another option is doing a virtual study with a University like Athabasca University --it's a leader in long distance degrees.

If you have any options to look at Universities 1-2 hours outside of Toronto, consider Trent University in Peterborough, McMaster University in Hamilton.

Good Luck!
thanks. really informative.

nice08

Dec 29, 2010
hello everybody
One of my relative wants to complete his further studies in canada, but the problem is that he has completed his high school in 2002, and since then he hasn t attend or studied at all because of some internal family problem, but know he wants to study further more is he eligeable to apply.

Teaspoon

Jan 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Brock is a nice medium size University -- has a smaller town atmosphere and is growing in overall rankings. I've toured the school and liked it very much - great atmosphere.

Both Western and Waterloo are usually much harder to get into and often require higher GPA's. Western has a fantastic Business program (very hard to get into) and Waterloo is widely know as "the best" IT and Engineering University. If you get into Waterloo and graduate in either their IT or Eng program you are set. Their Co-op program is highly sought after.

If you are looking at options like Waterloo and Western, also look at Sir Wilfrid Laurier University-- has a fantastic Business program - smaller school in Waterloo region, and has concentrated on a smaller group of programs -but is highly regarded.

I don't know what your Major is, but if you're considering Business, "Queens" is also one of the best schools -- very difficult to get in.
hey ! i have completed bachelor of electrical engineering and mba , my permanent residency is under process! do i have to study agin in canada , is there anything i can do now to save time ! any online canadian course , actually what i have to do pleae advice !

Heidyincnd

May 25, 2011
Woodbridge Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
1 May 2012
File Transfer...
12 Sept 2012
Med's Request
Waived
Med's Done....
25 May 2011
Interview........
5 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Waived
LANDED..........
5 Oct 2012
A Co-op program is when you attend classes for one term then are on a job placement for the next term. (arranged through the university and you receive pay).

It may stretch your studies an additional term, but the valuable real life experience you gain from a co-op experience is fantastic and there is often a good hiring opportunity for full-time work with many co-op companies you worked for.
Hi Canadian Career Coach,

I am glad to find out this topic and you seem the one who could help me answer my question. I am thinking of taking an online course at PCDI College with a certain amount of tuition fee (~ 675 $CAN for the entire course: including shipping fee, registration fee and text book with HST tax). My question is: does this college reliable and worthy to study and would online course give the employers an idea of who they are? and their accreditation will be accepted by employer??? I was wondering so much of whether taking an online course or study at their campus? Please help me out with this question, I will be so much appreciated your suggestion.

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply
Heidy

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
North said:
There are 13 very good universities in Canada, known as G13. They are the ones making the research in Canada and competing with big US and European and Asian universities in research and teaching. These are (in alphabetic order),

Dalhousie University
Laval University
McGill University
McMaster University
Queen's University
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia
University of Calgary
University of Montreal
University of Ottawa
University of Toronto
University of Waterloo
University of Western Ontario
Huh? Why no mention of Simon Fraser University? Maclean's annual rankings of top schools in Canada has ranked SFU as the top (#1) school among comprehensive universities in 2010, 2009 and 2008, #2 in 2007 and #4 in 2006. Rankings for 2011 are not yet out. Comprehensive universities have a significant degree of research activity and a wide range of programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including professional degrees.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
hi guys.. what about thompson rivers university. is it good one too.. 8)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ad singh said:
hi guys.. what about thompson rivers university. is it good one too.. 8)
TRU is definitely not a top Canadian university.

Also, the G13 became the G15 in Feburary 2011:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U15_(universities)