+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Sponsorship Application/How long can you leave Canada for?

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by Kunnal_Hargave, Nov 17, 2019.

  1. Need Help with few Answers around the sponsorship of my son, if I can leave canada for a bit and TRP/TRV.

    Me and my wife are PR holders but our son was born outside of Canada, India. His sponsorship application is in process (though I don't have a application number yet). He is back in India with my wife while I am here hunting for jobs (had substantial funds in my Canadian account, given as proof I can support my son).

    1. Can I or for how long can I travel back to India to visit them?
    2. How long will this process take?
    3. Can I go ahead and apply for TRV/TRP for my son, so he can stay with me here during the process of sponsorship?

  2. 1.No you are not supposed to leave but a short visit should be tolerated although always a risk. Would recommend around 2 weeks maximum.

    2. 5-11 months typically.

    3. You can try if you are compliant with your RO.
  3. Thanks for the reply :)

    I am expecting a job offer which will expect me to travel to the US short business trips? How do I justify that? Guess when u gotta travel for work, u cannot deny.

    Also who's a RO?

    I am planning a 10 day trip to India for my son's 1st birthday, which I would not want miss. Hope that's gonna be OK?

  4. As long as the trips are short and infrequent, it's fine.

    RO = Residency Obligation.

    A 10 day visit is fine.
  5. When you have to have your child outside Canada you can run into other problems like needing to be in Canada during sponsorship. Agree that a 10 day trip is fine but if you are travelling regularly for work you may run into problems. Still not clear when you landed in Canada and how much time you have spent in Canada since your landing or in the past 5 years whichever applies. Being compliant with your RO is very important.

Share This Page