+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child on the way ( while PR parents are outside canada)

SAM6

Aug 16, 2008
Hello Everybody,

We landed couple of months ago and had to leave Canada to complete a previous commitment and return next summer for good..

A week ago my wife found out the she is pregnant ?

What is the best solution ? to have the baby in Canada?( we might not be able to fly before delivery due to health / work reasons)

is there a way to apply for PR for a new born outside Canada?

please advise

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would be way easier to have the baby in Canada but you have to make sure you come back early enough to get health coverage in the province you are going to before the baby is born. Some provinces have a 3 month waiting period for that and some like AB and SK will give it to you right away if you are moving from another country. You would have to check the health plan for the province you plan to live in what their rules are.

As a PR, you can not sponsor a baby from outside of Canada. One family on here had it happen to them that they tried to get a temporary resident visa for their baby but were refused causing the father to have to go to Canada alone to sponsor the baby and the mother to stay behind with the baby while the paperwork was being processed but if that happens, that is a temporary inconvenience, just be adviced that is something that could possibly happen.

SAM6

Aug 16, 2008
THanks Leon,

Would it make a difference if the MOTHER is the main applicant?
We both ahave PR cards now...

I really appreciate your advice

God Bless you all

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nope, if that suits you better, the mother can go to Canada and sponsor the baby for PR while you stay behind with the baby. But first I'd try bringing the baby on visitor visa or try to get a TRV. Just because some ppl were denied doesn't mean that everybody is. I think the reason why they would refuse it is according to the big book of rules, they aren't supposed to let in ppl on visitor or trv that they know will stay permanently and obviously when you are bringing your baby, the baby is planning to break immigration law by staying permanently.

SAM6

Aug 16, 2008
Thanks Leon,

What I actually meant , is that I go to canda and sponsor the baby , the mother ( who is the main applicant) will be staying back untill I sponsor the child.

Would you know what steps / documents are needed to sponsor the child?

Best Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you were the one going to Canada to do the paperwork, you would have to be the sponsor because a PR can only sponsor while living in Canada. Therefore your wife can not be the sponsor if she is staying behind with the baby. The application forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

SAM6

Aug 16, 2008
Dear Leon

It's getting more complicated now as I did not mention that when we landed I tried to apply for the OHIP and they asked for a proof of residence which I did not have at that time so we left Canada, hoping to settle for good next year ...

What are the provinces you know that allow instant health coverage once you land as I checked Alberta and they said :::

"[i]Q:I just moved to Alberta from another country. How do I apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance coverage? When does my coverage start?

A:You cannot apply for health care insurance until you move to Alberta. If you are moving to Alberta from outside Canada, you may be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival. To ensure this, you must register within three months of your arrival. You will be required to present a copy of your Canada entry document.

[/i]

Now what if the entry to Canada was a year earlier?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SAM6 said:
Dear Leon

It's getting more complicated now as I did not mention that when we landed I tried to apply for the OHIP and they asked for a proof of residence which I did not have at that time so we left Canada, hoping to settle for good next year ...

What are the provinces you know that allow instant health coverage once you land as I checked Alberta and they said :::

"[i]Q:I just moved to Alberta from another country. How do I apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance coverage? When does my coverage start?

A:You cannot apply for health care insurance until you move to Alberta. If you are moving to Alberta from outside Canada, you may be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival. To ensure this, you must register within three months of your arrival. You will be required to present a copy of your Canada entry document.

[/i]

Now what if the entry to Canada was a year earlier?
You would have a 3 months waiting period.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The following is from http://www.health.alberta.ca/ahcip/ahcip_moving.html

If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you may be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival. To ensure coverage, you must register within three months of arrival. Newcomers to Canada are required to present a copy of their Canada entry document. Please contact us for more information if you or your dependants hold temporary immigration documents.

* If you move to Alberta from within Canada your coverage begins the first day of the third month following the date you establish permanent residency here. For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.
* If you move to Alberta from outside Canada your coverage begins on your date of arrival in Alberta.

Since you already landed in ON one year ago, you are not a newcomer to Canada. If they insist that you are a newcomer to Canada and want to see your entry documents, you will have a stamp in your passport from your most recent entry so you can explain to them that you did land in ON but did not take up residence there but lived in whatever country and now you are moving from there to take up residence in Alberta. To prove residence, you need to have something official mailed to you to an AB address. A friend of mine moved to AB from QC and for AB health she opened a bank account and asked them to send her a statement right away.

Other provinces, as far as I can see, BC, ON and SK would make you wait.
For Manitoba looks like same as AB, see http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#new2Manitoba
For Quebec, they have exceptions to waiting period but they don't say which, see http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/choose-quebec/daily-life/health/index.html

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
I am in same situation.

How long will it take if by chance i get a visitors visa for the baby, to head to ontario to process baby documents. She is now 2 months and 3 weeks. We are waiting to process her ppt. Then endorse on her ppt a british visa which both dad and I have. Then get a visitors visa for the baby to canada. The aim is to sponsor the baby while ia m on my materinity leave then return to go back to work while awaiting her PR then move for good.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The problem is that some people have already been denied visitor visa for their babies because to get a visitor visa, immigration must be sure that you will leave when your visa is up and because you are PR and the baby is a visitor, they suspect that you are planning for the baby to stay in which case by their own rules, they can't give the baby a visitor visa.

As a PR, you can not sponsor your baby or anybody else unless you are in Canada yourself which is why some couples have had to split up, one goes to Canada to sponsor the baby and one stays in the other country with the baby.

I think it's strange that immigration doesn't take into account that this situation could come up but they work in mysterious ways. Maybe they are trying to prevent the situation that some PR might bring their baby in on a visitor visa and then never bother do the paperwork for the baby's PR and it will be out of status.

SAM6

Aug 16, 2008
Leon

Thanks for your advice - How long would it take to sponsor a baby , if parents decide to split??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/06-fc-children.asp the average time for all visa offices is 5 months. It depends on where you live though. The sponsorship application is processed in Canada first and takes 42 days.