+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child not declared originally

colletteannca

Dec 26, 2018
Good evening,

I was just chatting with a friend who wants his child to come to Canada. Here is the story

He married a Canadian Citizen in 2013 and got his permanent resident in 2014. He is now separated and there is no undertaking in effect. Before he got married he had a child born in another country 8 days prior to being married to his Canadian Wife. He was told by a lawyer not to declare the child as he did not know if the child was his or not. In 2017 the child was confirmed to be his and he placed his name on the child's birth certificate. He would like to sponsor the child now. He did a DNA to prove the child is his.

My question: Is he able to sponsor the child now even though the child wasn't listed originally.

Thank you

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good evening,

I was just chatting with a friend who wants his child to come to Canada. Here is the story

He married in 2013 and got his permanent resident in 2014. He is not separated and there is no undertaking. Before he got married he had a child born in another country 8 days prior. The child was not declared as he did not know if it was his child and the lawyer told him he could apply after. In 2017 the child was confirmed to be his and he placed his name on the birth certificate. He would like to sponsor the child now. He did a DNA to prove the child is his.

My question: Is he able to sponsor the child now even though the child wasn't listed originally.

Thank you
How did he become a PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sorry. I miswrote. He married and obtained his PR. He is NOW separated from his wife, not yet legally divorced
So his Canadian wife sponsored him for PR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
yes he was sponsored by a Canadian citizen. They have no children together. There is no undertaking.
He can sponsor the child under the new undeclared dependent pilot program. He would need permission from the mother or full legal custody.

However, given the timing of the child's birth, it could lead to suspicions about his original marriage and sponsorship.

Reactions: msb