Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

So I am a Canadian Citizen, i went through the process of PR and naturalization and became a citizen of Canada in 2014. I then moved to the US and now a GC holder of US. So i'm a Canadian living in US. My wife is American and we had our child born earlier this year (2016) in the US. So here are my questions

1. Since my child was born in the US - the child is a US citizen by birth - already have the birth certificate - YES (no brainer)
2. Since I became a citizen prior to the child's birth and then moved to us - is my child a Canadian and eligible to get citizen certificate - ??

If answer to 2 is YES, that means the child is a dual citizen right?? -- YES/NO

And if we don't apply for a certificate now and let's say we apply later on like 5-10 years, I'm assuming the child's canadian citizenship stays - ??

Thanks

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
The child acquired both US and Canadian citizenship at birth. Child is first generation born abroad, meaning any children your child has in the future (your grandchildren) born abroad wont automatically be Canadian. Apply for a citizenship certificate whenever you want to, there is no expiration on Canadian citizenship, but you should be prepared to prove Canadian citizenship of child to CBSA when crossing the border. Best wat to do that is with a Canadian passport and for that you would likely need to get a citizenship certificate. So, why wait?

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. YES
2. YES
dual: YES
Why should you wait for 5-10 years? As suggested by links, better apply now before any rule change or requiring any additional docs at that time.

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank You!

Also, if we never get the child's Canadian citizenship certificate and therefore no Canadian passport, does the child always have to declare nationality as US and Canada. This might be confusing as there might be some areas where the child has to declare her citizenship nad she is a Canadian and not declare

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
singh84a said:
Thank You!

Also, if we never get the child's Canadian citizenship certificate and therefore no Canadian passport, does the child always have to declare nationality as US and Canada. This might be confusing as there might be some areas where the child has to declare her citizenship nad she is a Canadian and not declare
Child is always American and American only to US authorities and Canadian and Canadian only to Canadian authorities. Do not declare "dual citizenship" to either countries authorities as it has no legal meaning (well, except when it comes to potential citizenship stripping by Canada for terrorist crimes--but don't worry about that). If dealing with third country authorities take your pick, but probably practical to declare citizenship of country of residence. If an official asks if child has "dual citizenship" answer truthfully, but don't volunteer.

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
singh84a said:
Hello All,

So I am a Canadian Citizen, i went through the process of PR and naturalization and became a citizen of Canada in 2014. I then moved to the US and now a GC holder of US. So i'm a Canadian living in US. My wife is American and we had our child born earlier this year (2016) in the US. So here are my questions

1. Since my child was born in the US - the child is a US citizen by birth - already have the birth certificate - YES (no brainer)
2. Since I became a citizen prior to the child's birth and then moved to us - is my child a Canadian and eligible to get citizen certificate - ??

If answer to 2 is YES, that means the child is a dual citizen right?? -- YES/NO

And if we don't apply for a certificate now and let's say we apply later on like 5-10 years, I'm assuming the child's canadian citizenship stays - ??

Thanks
I agree. Your children are Canadian, but why wait? It's a $75 fee to do a "Proof of Canadian Citizenship Application", but who knows what the fee will be in 10 years. Just do it for your kids and do it as a favour to them now.