+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born in Canada to Indian Citizens/Canadian PRs

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
We are a couple with Canada's PR and India citizenship. Expecting a baby to be born in Canada. By birth, the baby will have canadian citizenship, but if we apply for Indian passport for baby, I have following questions

1) Baby can travel to India on Indian passport, but can baby then travel back to Canada as he will not have a VISA?
2) What if dont apply for Indian passport. But in 3-4 years plan to move to India. Then baby can still apply for Indian citizenship at that time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We are a couple with Canada's PR and India citizenship. Expecting a baby to be born in Canada. By birth, the baby will have canadian citizenship, but if we apply for Indian passport for baby, I have following questions

1) Baby can travel to India on Indian passport, but can baby then travel back to Canada as he will not have a VISA?
2) What if dont apply for Indian passport. But in 3-4 years plan to move to India. Then baby can still apply for Indian citizenship at that time?
1) Baby needs to have a Canadian passport to return to Canada.
2) I don't know the answer to this question.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017

India does not allow double citizenship.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
They do for children.
Do Indian children automatically lose their citizenship after birth?
Indian children therefore also automatically lose their claim to Indian citizenship if at any time after birth they acquire a citizenship of another country by, for example, naturalisation or registration — even if the acquisition of another citizenship was done as a result of actions by the child's parents.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Do Indian children automatically lose their citizenship after birth?
Indian children therefore also automatically lose their claim to Indian citizenship if at any time after birth they acquire a citizenship of another country by, for example, naturalisation or registration — even if the acquisition of another citizenship was done as a result of actions by the child's parents.
1. They have to make a decision after their 18th birthday whether to renounce Indian citizenship or the other countries.

Reactions: scylla