+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child birth without OHIP

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
It seems like the husband does have a work visa in Canada so they won't be responsible for NICU bills. Complications due happen with women though so you could still end up with a large bill. NICU bills are pretty brutal though since the babies need a lot of attention and often

Then you’d still need to pay for the hospital delivery minus the doctor and nurse. You still could need intervention and epidural so the fees could be the same.

Hi Canuck78, Just need clarification on this point . Isn't the kid covered under OHIP just after birth ? Myself and my husband are going to stay in Canada forever. Also, my PR VISA is in process. My husband is a PR since 2017 and a tax payer in Canada.

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Also think this loophole should close eventually. Not a Ford fan but can’t imagine that this would be something that they wouldn’t easily close like the minimal coverage ohip provides out of Canada. Just doesn’t make sense when prioritizing focusing services on those who have OHIP in Ontario.

Knowing some midwives I am sure they take on extra patients when they know they don’t have OHIP because they do care about the health of moms and babies. Makes me mad that those people are not asked if they can pay if they are an extra patient because I know many can pay but have sourced midwives because they prefer not to pay. People on this forum have admitted it. Knowing how many crazy hours midwives already work I would hope they would want renumeration if possible especially if this is an extra patient for what can end up being 48 hrs+ of work.

Just realized you said your appointment is on Monday which is a holiday. Just proof about the dedication and makes me wonder more if you are being added onto their patient loads. So many moms that I have known in the gta have not been able to get a midwife even very early on in their pregnancy.
You need AIP for that, AOR is not enough.

To OP, if you have had an uncomplicated pregnancy so far and are okay with trying non-interventional birth, then I think the Toronto Birth Centre is a good option since they are a non-profit and don't charge you extra. They do send you to the hospital in case of emergencies. Keep in mind even with uncomplicated pregnancies epidural is a good idea (and emergency c section more likely) if your baby is in a posterior or transverse position but if that's not the case and you think you could handle the pain, you could give it a try. That's IF you're able to cover the hospital expenses if need be. These would include emergency c-sections, inductions, NICU stays, etc. They do have alternative forms of pain relief such as hot tubs, birthing balls, TENS machine, laughing gas etc.

Good luck mama! I am 39 weeks pregnant and will be trying the no epidural route, and I'll be thinking of you! :)
Thanks for your wishes. :) My best wishes to you as well. I prefer the no epidural way.

Aug 17, 2022
Hello KMKBALAMURUGAN, are u still in the group?
I have very similar situation as you experienced.
My wife can't enjoy OHIP even I have been employed as a full time staff in Ontario, because my comapy is not registed here.
May I know how your story finally? After the experience can you share me some of your experience?
Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello KMKBALAMURUGAN, are u still in the group?
I have very similar situation as you experienced.
My wife can't enjoy OHIP even I have been employed as a full time staff in Ontario, because my comapy is not registed here.
May I know how your story finally? After the experience can you share me some of your experience?
Thanks in advance.
What type of visa are you both on? Are you working remotely for your employer? How pregnant is your spouse? Are they on an SOWP and are they working full-time?

Aug 17, 2022
Hello,
What type of visa are you both on? Are you working remotely for your employer? How pregnant is your spouse? Are they on an SOWP and are they working full-time?
Hello, thanks for your reply.
I hold a OWP, while my wilfe hold a SOWP. Yes, I work fully time remotely from Toronto for my employer, who is registed in Nova Scotia. But my wife is jobless.
More horrible is I tried to contact obstetricians, but most of them do not accept patien without OHIP.
So even I want to pay, no doctor can help.
Crying.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

I hold a OWP, while my wilfe hold a SOWP. Yes, I work fully time remotely from Toronto for my employer, who is registed in Nova Scotia. But my wife is jobless.
More horrible is I tried to contact obstetricians, but most of them do not accept patien without OHIP.
Crying.
Did you check the health insurance coverage in NS for foreign workers and family ?

https://arrivein.com/healthcare/how-to-apply-for-a-health-card-in-nova-scotia/
When does the Nova Scotia MSI coverage start?
There is up to a three-month waiting period for MSI in Nova Scotia. Anyone arriving in Nova Scotia on a work permit or study permit should contact the MSI office directly for more information on whether they qualify for coverage. Individuals with a work permit that is valid for a minimum of 12 months are eligible to apply for MSI, provided they have signed a declaration.
It's not very clear if family is covered...

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Crying.
Unfortunately you need to be employed by an Ontario employer. If you call enough OBs you should be able to find one taking private patients but both physicians and hospitals prioritize OHIP patients first and there is not a ton of capacity. You must have tried to apply for OHIP before getting pregnant. You can change employers, move to NS, your wife may chose to give birth in her home country if she has coverage there, you can pay privately, etc.

Aug 17, 2022
Did you check the health insurance coverage in NS for foreign workers and family ?

https://arrivein.com/healthcare/how-to-apply-for-a-health-card-in-nova-scotia/

It's not very clear if family is covered...
Thanks a lot for your help, but it is my mistake that I have not checked the OHIP requirment carefully.
We have paied a 1 year rental for the current apartment in Toronto.
So I am very hesitated to mvoe to Nova Scotia.
Also, the MSI requirement is that I need to sta
Unfortunately you need to be employed by an Ontario employer. If you call enough OBs you should be able to find one taking private patients but both physicians and hospitals prioritize OHIP patients first and there is not a ton of capacity. You must have tried to apply for OHIP before getting pregnant. You can change employers, move to NS, your wife may chose to give birth in her home country if she has coverage there, you can pay privately, etc.
I may try to go for a Midwife service and want to birth at hospital.
Just wonder if any problem that a midwife can't handle, will they still ask me to go for a OB?
Midwife and OB should be same qulified for taking care of childbirth?
Some midwive also have privileged hospital, but I am not sure whether hospital treat midwife same as a OB.

Aug 17, 2022
Pregnancy some time is not really under control. Some couples tried so hard so many years but still failed. And the migration process is so long and full of uncertain. It is hard to put another uncertainty (pregnancy) into the migration planning.

The migration take year to get approval and actual landing. How can a couple guarantee no baby during such a long period of time?

In the beginning of this chat topic, some people criticized KMKBALAMURUGAN of not consider the pregnancy before migrating to Canada. I am sure the criticize must from someone either never try to migrate to another country or never pregnancy.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Child of OP will be covered by ohip from birth(father is PR so no issues there), its just the mothers costs they have to pay.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Pregnancy some time is not really under control. Some couples tried so hard so many years but still failed. And the migration process is so long and full of uncertain. It is hard to put another uncertainty (pregnancy) into the migration planning.

The migration take year to get approval and actual landing. How can a couple guarantee no baby during such a long period of time?

In the beginning of this chat topic, some people criticized KMKBALAMURUGAN of not consider the pregnancy before migrating to Canada. I am sure the criticize must from someone either never try to migrate to another country or never pregnancy.

That’s fine. Then people don’t have much of a leg to stand on when they find they aren’t covered by the healthcare system or what’s left of it by the choices they made.
It’s like people living beyond their means , the bills start rolling in, then complaining they can’t pay .
In real life , that’s not quite how it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules105

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Why not get a full time job in NB so that your wife will be covered in the medicare?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Why not get a full time job in NB so that your wife will be covered in the medicare?
He pre-paid a year of rental in toronto ... which is not a common practice. Usually, ppl signed a year of rental contract and paid 1 or 1.5 months of rent for damage deposit... If they need to break the contract, it won't be the full year of rental. I think it's a few months' rent penalty if they break the contract early and landlord sometimes will allow without penalty since a new tenant may pay more rent.