+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefit Staying Outside Canada

CB9999

Aug 23, 2018
Hello,
I have a question somewhat along the lines of the original post.
I am trying to understand if there is a waiting period for CCB in our case and if so, how long.

Here are our details:
-I am a Canadian Citizen and my wife is a PR (since 2009).
-We both live in Canada.
-My wife decided to have our baby back in her home country in 2017 (mainly to be with her mom during this time). I stayed in Canada as I am working full time.
-Our baby was born in August 2017.
-Our baby already has her Proof of Canadian Citizenship (July 2018) and Canadian Passport (April 2018).
-My wife and our baby are moving back to Canada now as our baby is almost 1 year old.
-My wife still has her PR status and meets the residency requirement.

I am trying to understand how CCB will work in our case.
Can someone help?

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I have a question somewhat along the lines of the original post.
I am trying to understand if there is a waiting period for CCB in our case and if so, how long.

Here are our details:
-I am a Canadian Citizen and my wife is a PR (since 2009).
-We both live in Canada.
-My wife decided to have our baby back in her home country in 2017 (mainly to be with her mom during this time). I stayed in Canada as I am working full time.
-Our baby was born in August 2017.
-Our baby already has her Proof of Canadian Citizenship (July 2018) and Canadian Passport (April 2018).
-My wife and our baby are moving back to Canada now as our baby is almost 1 year old.
-My wife still has her PR status and meets the residency requirement.

I am trying to understand how CCB will work in our case.
Can someone help?

Thanks!
You will need to wait while the app is processed but the payments will be made retroactively to when the child returned to Canada.

Reactions: tobs

Anvishi

Jun 17, 2016
Hi all, the query i have is I m in Canada since 6 months and my wife and baby since 4 months . We applied for CCB and they are yet to get back to us . But since my baby is unwell my wife is taking her back to India to keep her away from this winter and they will return in 5 months. Having said that I have a job here and I will be in Canada. Will I be entitled to receive the CCB or should I keep them informed about their vacation plan ? Pls advice

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all, the query i have is I m in Canada since 6 months and my wife and baby since 4 months . We applied for CCB and they are yet to get back to us . But since my baby is unwell my wife is taking her back to India to keep her away from this winter and they will return in 5 months. Having said that I have a job here and I will be in Canada. Will I be entitled to receive the CCB or should I keep them informed about their vacation plan ? Pls advice
You will not be entitled to CCB while the child is living outside of Canada. You need to inform CRA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will still receive CCB for the time your baby was in Canada but if you don't update CRA and receive CCB it is fraud. Much easier to be upfront versus to getting caught and having to pay back with a penalty.

Mbutt153

Aug 19, 2017
You will not be entitled to CCB while the child is living outside of Canada. You need to inform CRA.
He says the child will be out of country along with mother for 5 months only. Are you aware of 180 days rule? Can you provide him with any reference to what you are stating? Thanks

arlhrpkcanada

May 19, 2017
i am Canadian citizen, living approximately 3 year outside Canada. During my stay in PK I got married and applied for my wife. Her application is almost complete and we are planning to go Canada in Jan 2019.
We have baby born in Aug 2017 in Pakistan, Now she has Canadian citizenship certificate and Canadian passport.
All the time i and my wife live with my baby since her birth.

Can I be entitled for Child benefit ?

SanthoshKrishna

Sep 10, 2013

You can inform / call CRA and find out eligibility..

According to my knowledge,

CRA will let you know, whether you are eligible or not for CCB based on your "previous year income and other submitted supporting documents".

If you are eligible to receive, CCB will be continued for you based on factual resident condition while your family members are staying outside of Canada.

Go through the details in the following links,

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/factual-residents-temporarily-outside-canada.html

In your case, "you (working in Canada), your wife (under "spouse lives in Canada") and your baby (under "dependent stays in Canada") all the three are resident of Canada", because you are residing / working in Canada.

Hope this helps ;)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can inform / call CRA and find out eligibility..

According to my knowledge,

CRA will let you know, whether you are eligible or not for CCB based on your "previous year income and other submitted supporting documents".

If you are eligible to receive, CCB will be continued for you based on factual resident condition while your family members are staying outside of Canada.

Go through the details in the following links,

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/factual-residents-temporarily-outside-canada.html

In your case, "you (working in Canada), your wife (under "spouse lives in Canada") and your baby (under "dependent stays in Canada") all the three are resident of Canada", because you are residing / working in Canada.

Hope this helps ;)
What is your wife's status and how long has she been in Canada? Same questions for you.

Stubborn

Dec 6, 2018
Hi guys
Can u advice me here
The scenario is a citizen of Canada owns a house in Canada
Has Canada bank account
Has Canada driver license
Has Canada passport
If this individual travels to another country for around 6-10 months at a time can this person still collect ccb as a factual resident

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys
Can u advice me here
The scenario is a citizen of Canada owns a house in Canada
Has Canada bank account
Has Canada driver license
Has Canada passport
If this individual travels to another country for around 6-10 months at a time can this person still collect ccb as a factual resident
Not if the child is not in Canada.

Stubborn

Dec 6, 2018
So if the child travels with the parent then they need to stop it?
How do you stop it and how do you resume getting it?