+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefit Staying Outside Canada

OAK2017

Sep 16, 2017
Hi,
I'm Canadian Citizen. I left Canada 14 years ago. Frankly, I didn't know at that time if i'm going to return back or not as i didn't have a job however i was applying for many. Therefore, I notified the CRA after 4 months of my departure, while i was coming back and force to Canada, and they sent me paper to fill to assess my condition and then they stopped the payments. I don't know if they send me any other documents or not but they only stopped the payments and i haven't contacted them since then. I'm planning to return now. What is the solution or penalties for my case?

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,
I'm Canadian Citizen. I left Canada 14 years ago. Frankly, I didn't know at that time if i'm going to return back or not as i didn't have a job however i was applying for many. Therefore, I notified the CRA after 4 months of my departure, while i was coming back and force to Canada, and they sent me paper to fill to assess my condition and then they stopped the payments. I don't know if they send me any other documents or not but they only stopped the payments and i haven't contacted them since then. I'm planning to return now. What is the solution or penalties for my case?
So the last child payment you got was around 14 years ago?
If so I wouldn't worry about it as it was so long in the past.

R

rish888

Hello,

We had our twins Dec 2016 in Toronto and after staying for 2 months, we returned to our home country in Feb 2017. After birth, I have applied for Child Benefit back in dec 2016 and after returning from Canada this Feb, CRA started sending Child Benefit, HST, OTB cheques to my canadain postal address (my cousin's home address). Pls note, I didn't do direct deposit while I was in Canada so CRA is sending these cheques since Mar 2017. Now I got the following questions:

1. As we (me, my wife, and kids) are not staying in Canada, so will it create any problem in future from CRA?
2. Though I have applied Child Benefit for my two twins, but from the beginning I am getting cheque of my one kid. So I directly contact with CRA regarding this issue?
3. If I call CRA from outside Canada, can they trace that? and will it be a problem?

If needed I am ready to payback the cheque amount to CRA anytime :)

Appreciate you advice.
I very rarely rebuke people; however, I am making an exception for you.

To break down your response,

1) You are taking benefits from the Canadian government for which you are not entitled.

2) You want even more money (as per statement 2) when you are not even entitled to what you are currently getting.

3) You ask if CRA can trace your call. Not only does this demonstrate illegal intent, I am truly appalled that such a thought would even cross your mind.

While I don't know you, based on your post you seem to have a serious lack of integrity and ethics. The government of Canada so graciously opens the doors to hundreds of thousands of people, you included, at a time when the rest of the world is closing their doors shut. Despite the government granting you numerous rights, they don't ask for much in return.

Yet, your way of repaying the country has given you an opportunity for a new life is by defrauding it and exploiting its benefits -- benefits it is able to provide because hard working, law-abiding Canadians work hard and pay their taxes.

Why should the tax money of hard working Canadians go to you, a person who only tries to see rights while ignoring obligations?

Give my one single reason why you feel you are entitled to tax money?

What have you ever done for Canadians or the economy that makes you think you are entitled to this money?

These questions are not rhetorical, I would actually appreciate if you could answer them.

To put icing on the cake, you then try to argue that what you are doing is legal. The law is designed to be viewed as a whole, not just as individual parts. (What others have referred to as cherry picking.)

Based on your interpretation, either you have very serious problems in comprehending the English language, in which case I would recommend taking classes (and not the free taxpayer-funded ones) or you are so totally self-absorbed that you actually believe you qualify as resident. Either way, not only are you wrong, you need to seriously reconsider your ability accurately interpret written information.

The reason you were granted Permanent Residence is so that you can contribute to Canada's economic, social, and cultural prosperity, NOT so you can be a free loader trying to claim social benefits without paying your taxes. Shame on you.

I sincerely urge you to reconsider your desire to be a Permanent Resident of Canada. You clearly seem to have very little attachment to and affection for Canada. If you had even a ounce of integrity, affection, or attachment to Canada you wouldn't be trying to defraud her.

People like you are the reason many Canadians are slowly changing their views on immigration. It is because of people like you anti-immigration sentiment exists, affecting honest, hardworking, tax-paying people in the process. You should be disgusted.

The law has a funny way of catching up with people who try to circumvent it. Individuals like you may be successful in the short run, but you can only get lucky so many times.

Please do the right thing and repay what you are not entitled to. At least you can sleep at night knowing that you are not completely incorrigible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: foodie69

Vitorrui999

Oct 27, 2016

1) You are taking benefits from the Canadian government for which you are not entitled.

2) You want even more money (as per statement 2) when you are not even entitled to what you are currently getting.

3) You ask if CRA can trace your call. Not only does this demonstrate illegal intent, I am truly appalled that such a thought would even cross your mind.

While I don't know you, based on your post you seem to have a serious lack of integrity and ethics. The government of Canada so graciously opens the doors to hundreds of thousands of people, you included, at a time when the rest of the world is closing their doors shut. Despite the government granting you numerous rights, they don't ask for much in return.

Yet, your way of repaying the country has given you an opportunity for a new life is by defrauding it and exploiting its benefits -- benefits it is able to provide because hard working, law-abiding Canadians work hard and pay their taxes.

Why should the tax money of hard working Canadians go to you, a person who only tries to see rights while ignoring obligations?

What have you ever done for Canadians or the economy that makes you think you are entitled to this money?

These questions are not rhetorical, I would actually appreciate if you could answer them.

To put icing on the cake, you then try to argue that what you are doing is legal. The law is designed to be viewed as a whole, not just as individual parts. (What others have referred to as cherry picking.)

Based on your interpretation, either you have very serious problems in comprehending the English language, in which case I would recommend taking classes (and not the free taxpayer-funded ones) or you are so totally self-absorbed that you actually believe you qualify as resident. Either way, not only are you wrong, you need to seriously reconsider your ability accurately interpret written information.

The reason you were granted Permanent Residence is so that you can contribute to Canada's economic, social, and cultural prosperity, NOT so you can be a free loader trying to claim social benefits without paying your taxes. Shame on you.

I sincerely urge you to reconsider your desire to be a Permanent Resident of Canada. You clearly seem to have very little attachment to and affection for Canada. If you had even a ounce of integrity, affection, or attachment to Canada you wouldn't be trying to defraud her.

People like you are the reason many Canadians are slowly changing their views on immigration. It is because of people like you anti-immigration sentiment exists, affecting honest, hardworking, tax-paying people in the process. You should be disgusted.

The law has a funny way of catching up with people who try to circumvent it. Individuals like you may be successful in the short run, but you can only get lucky so many times.

Please do the right thing and repay what you are not entitled to. At least you can sleep at night knowing that you are not completely incorrigible.
That's funny, but you know, that when i move to Canada, i had to wait 18 months, before get the ccb for my child?!? 18 Months!!!! In that time i paid 20000 in taxes, you think that its right?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
That's funny, but you know, that when i move to Canada, i had to wait 18 months, before get the ccb for my child?!? 18 Months!!!! In that time i paid 20000 in taxes, you think that its right?
CCB will pay you in arrears for the amounts you were eligible to receive. No one is cheating you.

And just to clarify, the fact that you pay taxes doesn't make you eligible to receive any special treatment. The taxes cover the cost of public and social services, which I'm sure you used in those 18 months.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Seriously, that is your response to your earlier posts? Seriously ? Now that is rich. You had to wait during a legislated waiting period to claim CCTB, you had to pay taxes during your period here, oh the hardship, which you some how think, and I am using that term rather loosely, that gives you a reason or the right to fraudulently obtain benefits from the Government of Canada, while not being present in the country. Well obviously when they were handing out moral compasses to people, you were skipped over. You should be ashamed of yourself .If you feel the hardship is just far to much of a burden to bare in playing by the rules set out by the Government of Canada, and from your posts, you obviously feel they are or just do not apply to you, you can always click on the supplied link;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp

Between this poster, who it appears to feel it is his right to obtain benefits fraudulently and another poster that felt insulted because she was refused a third TRV because the prior two visits she gave birth here, to obtain Canadian Citizenship, you just gotta shake your head.. The level of entitlement displayed is beyond comprehension

Last edited:

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
It's your option to decide yourself a tax purpose resident or not. If you want those checks you need to file tax return to CRA and declaim your world income. And check some ties (actually it's not important, say it's up to your choice). CRA will determine if you are a tax resident and revise the amount of your child benifit.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018

Emmm, CRA could approve OP's quest if he/she show her/his qualification as a tax resident. And he/she file tax return, CRA will pay CCB accordingly just like normal people living in Canada. This is a tax benefit based on tax. Remember, you could be a tax payer even you don't live in Canada. Have to file CRA a questionair to let them make decision if you are a tax resident.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Emmm, CRA could approve OP's quest if he/she show her/his qualification as a tax resident. And he/she file tax return, CRA will pay CCB accordingly just like normal people living in Canada.
Good job responding to a post that’s a year old.............

And actually one of the requirements is that you are living “In” Canada, whether you pay taxes or not.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Good job responding to a post that’s a year old.............

And actually one of the requirements is that you are living “In” Canada, whether you pay taxes or not.
I am not sure about policy nowadays. But we experienced the same situation in 2006. We landed and left back to home country for 2 years. We were asked to finish a questionary and received a letter from CRA that we were still qualified for the CCB after we filed tax return for 2004/2005. So, being physically in is absolutely not the requirement to get CCB, at lest until 2006.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am not sure about policy nowadays. But we experienced the same situation in 2006. We landed and left back to home country for 2 years. We were asked to finish a questionary and received a letter from CRA that we were still qualified for the CCB after we filed tax return for 2004/2005. So, being physically in is absolutely not the requirement to get CCB, at lest until 2006.

CCB is very different now,

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
After a significant amount of fraud, the system has been changed dramatically since 2006.