+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child benefit for refugee applicants and protected persons

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Hi, Dears,
please share your information.
I came to Canada in May 2017 with a work visa and then applied for refugee in Nov 2017.
I was accepted in Oct 2018.
When I applied for Child benefit for my son after I was a protected person, they only accept to give child benefit since the date I became a protected person and not for the time I was an applicant, or I was in Canada with a work visa.
As I know, accepted refugees will receive retroactive child benefit for their children who were in Canada with them during the refugee application. Am I wrong? Why CRA did not give me the retroactive Child benefit?
Please share your thoughts and experiences.
Best regards,
Jalal

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
They are correct. You were only eligible for the benefit once you were accepted and not when you started your claim.

People on work permits also are not eligible until after 18 months but you effectively voided your work permit once you applied for asylum.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree you were given child benefit correctly. Don't think people realize child benefit is a relatively new thing and was only started after the Liberals got elected. May not be here to stay.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

FadyB

Star Member
Apr 3, 2019
Do i need to change my SIN before applying for the child benefit after my claim was accepted?