+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chemistry Postdoc applying for EE under CEC

kamiyu

Aug 15, 2016
Hi all, I would be grateful if any postdocs in Canada, especially those working in the science field, could give me some information/experience.

As some of you may know, the employment status of postdoc in Canada is not very clear:

1.In some universities (e.g. University of Toronto, McMaster University etc.) postdocs are employees (if source of funding is from Principal Investigator's grant). That said, the postdoc will have T4 tax slip with CPP and EI deductions.

2. On the other hand, some universities treat postdocs as trainees. That said, the postdoc will have T4A tax slip without CPP and EI deductions.

My question is, in case #2, do you think CIC will count the postdoc appointment as "working experience" in Canada (both for CEC eligibility and CRS ranking score?

Real stories from you or your friends are particularly welcome.

Thanks

sonnenstern

Star Member
May 22, 2014
There are many postdocs that have applied under CEC under the old system. The tax receipt and whether you are on a fellowship is not so critical, what is most important is that you get a waterproof employment letter from your Head of Department (or whoever signed your postdoc contract) that says all the right things and that you put the right NOC code (which is NOT the one for professors, it would the Chemist Noc code for you. The more critical hurdle is now to get an invitation to apply under EE, since you do not have a job with an LMIA job offer.

kamiyu

Aug 15, 2016
sonnenstern said:
There are many postdocs that have applied under CEC under the old system. The tax receipt and whether you are on a fellowship is not so critical, what is most important is that you get a waterproof employment letter from your Head of Department (or whoever signed your postdoc contract) that says all the right things and that you put the right NOC code (which is NOT the one for professors, it would the Chemist Noc code for you. The more critical hurdle is now to get an invitation to apply under EE, since you do not have a job with an LMIA job offer.
Thanks for your reply. It seems you are very experienced in this type of issue.

Yes, I learnt that both T4 and T4A are sufficient for CEC applications. Getting a fellowship does count as employment for CIC. The NOC code you provided (Chemist) is also correct, according to my own research as most of the job duties listed for "Chemist" match very well with postdoc duties.

Thanks for reminding me that postdoc is not permanent job offer and it does not require LMIA. And I have taken this in consideration since long ago.

sonnenstern

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Great, if you need a template for a good employment letter message me privately with your email and I can provide you with one. This is really the key. My NOC is Biochemist (might be the same as Chemist, can't remember) and so the letter I provided might be very close to what you need.

Cheers