+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Checklist - have you the sponsor ever been sponsored for PR

tacobowl123

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
So, on the checklist there is a question that asks if I (The Sponsor) was previously sponsored myself. I was sponsored by my dad in the late 80s, however I am not on speaking terms with them. Does this impact my application in anyway?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Not really. You have to answer truthfully, but this will not make you ineligible. The question is there because a sponsored spouse cannot sponsor a new spouse for five years after being sponsored. Your case is fine. Just tell the truth.

tacobowl123

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Not really. You have to answer truthfully, but this will not make you ineligible. The question is there because a sponsored spouse cannot sponsor a new spouse for five years after being sponsored. Your case is fine. Just tell the truth.
Thanks for the prompt response. Would it make sense to include a copy of my Citizen Card/Certificate as I believe I saw this as one of the documents to prove my Citizenship?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So, on the checklist there is a question that asks if I (The Sponsor) was previously sponsored myself. I was sponsored by my dad in the late 80s, however I am not on speaking terms with them. Does this impact my application in anyway?
Note that if you immigrated with your family and became PRs at the same time, you were included as a dependent, not sponsored.

Reactions: tacobowl123

tacobowl123

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Note that if you immigrated with your family and became PRs at the same time, you were included as a dependent, not sponsored.
Hey, thank you so much for pointing that out. Ibelieve my form (its hand written from the late 80s) does mention the word dependent on it. I will need to confirm this, but if this is the case, would you recommend putting no? OR putting yes, and attaching a photocopy of the form that I have?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hey, thank you so much for pointing that out. Ibelieve my form (its hand written from the late 80s) does mention the word dependent on it. I will need to confirm this, but if this is the case, would you recommend putting no? OR putting yes, and attaching a photocopy of the form that I have?
If you were a dependant, than you need to answer no. You weren't sponsored.

Reactions: tacobowl123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Well, some dependant can be sponsored after their parents became PR (non-accompanying).

But looks like OP was included as a dependant instead of being sponsored. :)

tacobowl123

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Well, some dependant can be sponsored after their parents became PR (non-accompanying).

But looks like OP was included as a dependant instead of being sponsored. :)
Ah, got it. I traveled with my mom. I will recheck the wording on my papers though.