+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing the terms on my visitor visa / temp. resident status

Robby5566

Jun 19, 2012
Hi there,
I recently changed my status from a student with a work permit to a visitor. My college didn't sent proof of my graduation before my permits expired, so I couldn't apply for a post-study work permit, and an immigration lawyer suggested that would be the best thing to do.
Now however, I have my diploma, letter from the registrar, etc, and I'm about to apply to change my visa back to a work permit.
My question is, do I still count as a temporary resident if I'm just a "visitor", or do I need to apply to restore my status as a temporary resident too?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Robby5566 said:
Hi there,
I recently changed my status from a student with a work permit to a visitor. My college didn't sent proof of my graduation before my permits expired, so I couldn't apply for a post-study work permit, and an immigration lawyer suggested that would be the best thing to do.
Now however, I have my diploma, letter from the registrar, etc, and I'm about to apply to change my visa back to a work permit.
My question is, do I still count as a temporary resident if I'm just a "visitor", or do I need to apply to restore my status as a temporary resident too?
IMHO you are out of luck for a work permit, since you are now a visitor. Visitors can't apply for work permits in Canada. Visitors/Students/Workers are all temporary residents. I am assuming the 90 days have past since your study permit expired.