+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing status from visitor to study

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
Hi,

I'm visiting Canada and thinking of applying for school... I read somewhere that "you cannot change from visitor status to a study or work permit, although there are exceptions." What does this mean? How can I get a study visa if I am a visitor?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are exceptions. But if you're simply in Canada as a visitor - then you wouldn't meet any of them. If you want to apply for a study permit your application will have to be sent outside of Canada to the visa officer responsible for your home country.

Note that it is too late to apply for the September intake - so you'd be looking at January.

abdlmtn

Jan 11, 2016
Hi
If some one is on trv, is there any option to apply for study permit within Canada or he has to apply from outside itself.

under_pressure

Oct 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply being inside Canada, but your application will be going outside indeed.

nutshell29

Mar 17, 2016
Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried applying for study permit while in TRV status inside Canada? Please let me know.

I'm confused where to send my application. Is it in LA? Or is it more convenient to just apply for study permit online?

coley2

Jun 2, 2016
If it is that you do a short course that is a prerequisite for your acceptance yes you can apply for study permit while on a visitor visa within Canada.This is a new rule added in 2014

chd.piyush

Oct 31, 2013
Hello everyone,
I came to Canada as a visitor in sept 2017 along with my wife and son.
My wife liked Canada and wants to study here. So i searched for colleges and found out a college in Montreal and took admission in one year program starting in feb 2018. Have applied for caq aswell.
Now my question is how to apply for study permit after caq is received. I read at cic website that we can convert visitor to study permit if pre requisite course is completed which is required for admission into actual course.
Please guide me with the next procedure.
My wife has done masters in technology computer science from India and has 7.5 bands in ielts with 6.5 in one module. She got admission in a relevant course.

Please guide me. I have around 25days to wait for caq. Till then i have to gather all the information.

Thank you.

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
Hello everyone,
I came to Canada as a visitor in sept 2017 along with my wife and son.
My wife liked Canada and wants to study here. So i searched for colleges and found out a college in Montreal and took admission in one year program starting in feb 2018. Have applied for caq aswell.
Now my question is how to apply for study permit after caq is received. I read at cic website that we can convert visitor to study permit if pre requisite course is completed which is required for admission into actual course.
Please guide me with the next procedure.
My wife has done masters in technology computer science from India and has 7.5 bands in ielts with 6.5 in one module. She got admission in a relevant course.

Please guide me. I have around 25days to wait for caq. Till then i have to gather all the information.

Thank you.
And now you know why they refuse visitor visas to so many including their families. No genuine visitor could simply say I like it here let’s stay and study.

So for anyone who wonders why their application was rejected abuse like this is why.

chd.piyush

Oct 31, 2013
If u can answer my question please. I don't want to hear this non sense. This forum is to help each other. Not to do sarcastic replies
And now you know why they refuse visitor visas to so many including their families. No genuine visitor could simply say I like it here let’s stay and study.

So for anyone who wonders why their application was rejected abuse like this is why.

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
If u can answer my question please. I don't want to hear this non sense. This forum is to help each other. Not to do sarcastic replies
Point is to help those who obey the terms of their visa. This situation is exactly why so many can’t get a visa.

I for one won’t help, every single day we have people who are upset they can’t get a visa especially for their family and wonder why. This is exactly why. You must have convinced them you were a visitor with very strong ties to your country to get a visa to Canada for your entire family and rather than respecting this you just decide. I like it here let’s find a way to stay. Guess your ties were not that strong after all.

chd.piyush

Oct 31, 2013
My ties are strong. Did i do anything illegal? If i can afford education and if i am not doing anything illegal whats wrong in applying for study.if people r not getting the visa its there bad luck or they are not able to convince the vo. I convinced the vo coz i have good financials n no bad intentions.
Point is to help those who obey the terms of their visa. This situation is exactly why so many can’t get a visa.

I for one won’t help, every single day we have people who are upset they can’t get a visa especially for their family and wonder why. This is exactly why. You must have convinced them you were a visitor with very strong ties to your country to get a visa to Canada for your entire family and rather than respecting this you just decide. I like it here let’s find a way to stay. Guess your ties were not that strong after all.

Alexibra111

Dec 19, 2016
I agree with everyone else. You didn't do anything illegal, but you clearly had intentions of staying longer than your visitor visa would allow. If you were really just here for a vacation/visit, then finding a college would be the last thing on your mind.... I have liked many countries that I have visited, but I never thought for a second about enrolling in school when I am being allowed in as a visitor. It is clear that your intentions from the start was to overstay, and that is probably why you won't be getting any help from anyone on this forum. Sorry about that and good luck to you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My ties are strong. Did i do anything illegal? If i can afford education and if i am not doing anything illegal whats wrong in applying for study.if people r not getting the visa its there bad luck or they are not able to convince the vo. I convinced the vo coz i have good financials n no bad intentions.
Just to add to the previous posters' comments:
I'm guessing you're from Chandigarh from your member name. India offers excellent educational facilities/has a plethora of excellent institutions, there are probably several institutions right in your hometown or in Delhi or in North India. Or maybe 'chd = Chaudhary' but it's the same difference.

If you were a genuine student, you would have applied from a Canada Study Permit when you were in Chandigarh, India. Not after you arrive in Canada on a visitor visa. This indicates that you were not a genuine visitor. So, your ties were NOT strong as you claim them to be.

Sure, you can afford to pay for your wife's education in Montreal. Nothing illegal about it. Let's be practical. Why would you spend a fortune on this study program in Montreal? It's because of the PGWP >> PR route >> Staying permanently in Canada.... which proves that your purpose of a visit visa i.e. a TRV was only to mislead the visa officer.

Sorry but that's how your case comes across to all of us

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla