+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Refugee Lawyer

Kyrgyz-Canada

Feb 16, 2014
Hi everyone:

Just a question... is it possible to change a lawyer for refugee claimants? My wife is going into her 4th refugee hearing with her lawyer but both of our families are quite unhappy with him. Part of the reason we're going into the 4th hearing is because of his tardiness in sending and preparing documents.

An acquaintance had mentioned that there are "Government subsidized lawyers" especially for refugee claimants - can anyone verify this?

Also, has anyone else changed lawyers during the process? Part of the uncertainty is that my wife has been with him for over a year, even prior to us marrying, and he has filed other applications and appeals for her and knows her case quite well. I feel like there would be quite a bit of "catching up" for another lawyer before the next hearing (currently, date unknown). But at this point we're quite fed up since there is a lack of professionalism and he's very money-hungry.

Any insight would be appreciated from anyone in a similar case or who has changed lawyers through their refugee process!

Thanks!

naveedpcs

May 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad ( my file did not move to uk)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 june 2013
Doc's Request.
No
AOR Received.
1st week of july 2013
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
13 Nov,2013 , in process from : feb 5, 2015
Med's Request
18 Nov. 2015
Med's Done....
25 Nov. 2015
Interview........
Wived. Thank God
Passport Req..
18 Nov. 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Dec.16,2015 thank God
LANDED..........
15 jan. 2016 insha Allah
kyrgaz.
hi.
yes you can change your lower no problem. contact to another lower if you want or if he is agree to accept your case.
best of luck.
naveedpcs

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kyrgyz-Canada said:
Hi everyone:

Just a question... is it possible to change a lawyer for refugee claimants? My wife is going into her 4th refugee hearing with her lawyer but both of our families are quite unhappy with him. Part of the reason we're going into the 4th hearing is because of his tardiness in sending and preparing documents.

An acquaintance had mentioned that there are "Government subsidized lawyers" especially for refugee claimants - can anyone verify this?

Also, has anyone else changed lawyers during the process? Part of the uncertainty is that my wife has been with him for over a year, even prior to us marrying, and he has filed other applications and appeals for her and knows her case quite well. I feel like there would be quite a bit of "catching up" for another lawyer before the next hearing (currently, date unknown). But at this point we're quite fed up since there is a lack of professionalism and he's very money-hungry.

Any insight would be appreciated from anyone in a similar case or who has changed lawyers through their refugee process!

Thanks!
1. You can change lawyers, but it is unlikely that s/he would be allowed to postpone the hearing as there has already been 4 sittings. So a new lawyer would have to be ready to continue on the next hearing date.

Kyrgyz-Canada

Feb 16, 2014
Hi everyone - thanks for your input.

I think we're looking at changing lawyers... the thing is though that it might be an expensive change since the new lawyer will have to review our entire case from the beginning. I contacted one lawyer (a friend of an acquaintance) and that does seem to be the case... so that itself is a big decision on its own.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kyrgyz-Canada said:
Hi everyone - thanks for your input.

I think we're looking at changing lawyers... the thing is though that it might be an expensive change since the new lawyer will have to review our entire case from the beginning. I contacted one lawyer (a friend of an acquaintance) and that does seem to be the case... so that itself is a big decision on its own.
Which province are you in? Here are low cost resources for Ontario: http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/contact/contact.asp?type=cl Also, I hope you are availing yourselves of help from a settlement agency, they can give you advice and resources for free or low cost: http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/english/newcomers/agencies.shtml

Good luck.

anna111

Star Member
May 1, 2012
Hi. You can change your lawyer, this is your right if you are not satisfied. Just go to the new lawyer you guys are eyeing and lay down your concern and current status. Your new lawyer is going to write your old lawyer and will ask all your documents. He will also write to the Refugee Protection Board about your changing of representative/lawyer and that he will represent you.