+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing my destination, do I need a CSQ?

Ido.less

Mar 4, 2018
Hey guys, really need some advice here :

Through EE, the Federal Skilled Worker program, I got my immigration visa a few months ago, and I was planning on moving to Toronto (that's what is stated on my PR confirmation). However, for practical reasons, I'm giving Montréal a try, see how I like it and then decide, so I'll be staying there for a few months, maybe a year.
- Is it ok if I change my destination?
- Do I need a CSQ now? if so can I apply for one once I get to Montréal?
- What are the documents I'll need once I land?

Thank you in advance,

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Assuming you did not get your PR from any PNP, you can land and attempt to settle anywhere in Canada except for Quebec.

If you land in Quebec, and then immediately live there, the government might later on think that you have committed fraud/misrepresentation, and can later on revoke your PR.

If you, however, try to settle elsewhere for, say, about a year, and then move to Quebec later on because things have not worked out outside Quebec, then it's a different story..

But your initial intention while landing can NOT be to live and settle in Quebec.

Reactions: Ido.less

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hey guys, really need some advice here :

Through EE, the Federal Skilled Worker program, I got my immigration visa a few months ago, and I was planning on moving to Toronto (that's what is stated on my PR confirmation). However, for practical reasons, I'm giving Montréal a try, see how I like it and then decide, so I'll be staying there for a few months, maybe a year.
- Is it ok if I change my destination?
- Do I need a CSQ now? if so can I apply for one once I get to Montréal?
- What are the documents I'll need once I land?

Thank you in advance,
After landing, you become Canadian PR and are free to move to any province ( including Quebec). Google "Canada Mobility Rights". You don't need CSQ.

Ido.less

Mar 4, 2018
Thank you both for your insight !

After landing, you become Canadian PR and are free to move to any province ( including Quebec). Google "Canada Mobility Rights". You don't need CSQ.
I've read that I would need CSQ when applying for health care in Montréal, is there any truth to that?

Also, and this is my main concern, if I ever move to Quebec say a few months after living in another province, is it possible that three years after, I may be refused citinzenship? Will I have to explain why I moved to Quebec?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You still have to convince immigration that you will be moving on to Toronto and not landing in Quebec. It would be probably be less expensive to buy a plane ticket from Montreal to Toronto (or wherever you want to go). By the time you factor in the cost of getting from the airport to the bus station it may cost more to take the bus. Have you considered the greater Ottawa area for landing? Assume you are a francophone or bilingual.

Reactions: Ido.less

Ido.less

Mar 4, 2018
You still have to convince immigration that you will be moving on to Toronto and not landing in Quebec. It would be probably be less expensive to buy a plane ticket from Montreal to Toronto (or wherever you want to go). By the time you factor in the cost of getting from the airport to the bus station it may cost more to take the bus. Have you considered the greater Ottawa area for landing? Assume you are a francophone or bilingual.
To convince immigration that I'm indeed setteling in Toronto, I'll have a one way plane ticket (or bus ticket) to Toronto and an Airbnb booking for two weeks, would that be enough?
I'm bilingual yes, but I've already booked my plane ticket from Algeria to Montréal, this is the only canadian city that is covered my our national airline, and it's a direct flight.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To convince immigration that I'm indeed setteling in Toronto, I'll have a one way plane ticket (or bus ticket) to Toronto and an Airbnb booking for two weeks, would that be enough?
I'm bilingual yes, but I've already booked my plane ticket from Algeria to Montréal, this is the only canadian city that is covered my our national airline, and it's a direct flight.
The can actually see if you made it to Toronto so Ii assume you mean that you are actually going to Toronto first.

Ido.less

Mar 4, 2018
The can actually see if you made it to Toronto so Ii assume you mean that you are actually going to Toronto first.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
What do you mean by "going to Toronto first"? My final destination is Toronto, but I'll be transiting by Montréal.
Do you think a one way plane ticket to Toronto and an Airbnb booking for two weeks would be enough?