+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing job when on 'implied status'

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Hi, I am on a BOWP which will expire soon. I have already applied for extension, but it will take another 2 months to get approved, during which I will be on 'implied status'. Does anyone know if I can change employer during this period?

Regards,
adipadi

ABS_1382

May 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
All docs sent with the file...
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
Med's Done....
08-03-2016 (Upfront - Med and RPRF)
Passport Req..
14-04-2016, Passport Sent: 18-04-2016, Received Back: 04-05-2016
adipadi said:
Hi, I am on a BOWP which will expire soon. I have already applied for extension, but it will take another 2 months to get approved, during which I will be on 'implied status'. Does anyone know if I can change employer during this period?

Regards,
adipadi
My Thoughts: During implied status, you can continue working on the same conditions of the WP that you were on...Now since u were on BOWP..the same conditions would be applicable to you...so my feeling is that you can change job....but I would suggest...do a bit more research because you dont want to be in trouble due to this small mistake....
Thanks...

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adipadi said:

Regards,
adipadi
Yes, you are allowed to change jobs or employers while you are on implied status. This is because your expiring work permit is not restricted to a particular job or employer. As ABS-1382 has stated, the rules permit you to continue working in Canada under the same conditions as those on your expiring permit. So you are allowed to do anything that is allowed under your expiring permit.

HOWEVER, some employers would rather not hire someone who is on implied status. This can be because they don't understand how it works, or because there's no guarantee that your new work permit will be approved.