+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI From Private College to Public College

Venesa

Dec 20, 2017
I would like some feedback on the following questions

Question 1 - I applied for a study permit at a private college in ontario and was successful in my application, however under the condition section of the document it states that I am not allowed to work off campus. how can I get this changed or do I now have to be enrolled at a public college to be able to work off campus?

Question 2 - When I change my DLI number from a private college to a public college will I now be given/mailed a new study permit?

Question 3 - Is there a processing fee to change a DLI from a private college to a public college in Ontario

Question 4 - Once I submit the change for the DLI on my account what is the processing time by CIC?

KARTH2405

Oct 27, 2018
Hi Vanesa,
I just wonder, how it was done in your case? after getting a study permit for a private college at first and then change to a public college. have you amended your study permit and able to work off campus?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Vanesa,
I just wonder, how it was done in your case? after getting a study permit for a private college at first and then change to a public college. have you amended your study permit and able to work off campus?
The post you're responding to is from five years ago.

Are you already in Canada and have you already completed at least one semester of your studies?

Reactions: Naturgrl

KARTH2405

Oct 27, 2018
Hi Vanessa,
I was enquiring checking another person, he came using LOA from private college and changed to public college, while checking online i found this thread, I just wondering, do they need to amend study permit in order to get eligibility to work off campus? i was doing some research but not able to find an answer about this scenario.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Vanessa,
I was enquiring checking another person, he came using LOA from private college and changed to public college, while checking online i found this thread, I just wondering, do they need to amend study permit in order to get eligibility to work off campus? i was doing some research but not able to find an answer about this scenario.
So your friend attended/studied at the private college and then changed to a public one, correct? You need to apply to amend the work permit part of your study permit. It will take many months.

UBC explains it well.
https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/study-permits/tutorial-amend-study-permit-conditions-work-canada-apply

Reactions: KARTH2405

KARTH2405

Oct 27, 2018
So your friend attended/studied at the private college and then changed to a public one, correct? You need to apply to amend the work permit part of your study permit. It will take many months.

UBC explains it well.
https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/study-permits/tutorial-amend-study-permit-conditions-work-canada-apply
Thanks a lot Naturgrl. Just wondering, are they going amend and add work authorization? since the student has changed the program and stated a different situation while applying for initial study permit? Please share your thoughts

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks a lot Naturgrl. Just wondering, are they going amend and add work authorization? since the student has changed the program and stated a different situation while applying for initial study permit? Please share your thoughts
Did the student study at the private college for at least a semester, and then change schools? If not and just updated file, then student doesn’t have authorization to study at the public college. IRCC doesn’t have to do anything as it is the student’s responsibility to know the rules. It will come out when student applies for PGWP and the original school is on the study permit.

As for work permit, if student is applying to change conditions then it may be refused because it is based on the original school.