+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI before or after arrival? (Urgent)

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
There was a poster on here in December who changed his DLI before travelling. 2 weeks later IRCC cancelled his SP and informed him not travel and that he should send them his new DLI's LOA and they will let him know how to proceed. I know that one of his last posts here in February/March was that 80-something days later he was still waiting for update from IRCC. You can search this forum for his thread.

Similar reports on twitter, FB and on Reddit about people changing DLI once they cross the border, only to get email from IRCC informing them their SPS and visa have been canceled, and they need to re-apply as they are now out of status.

Personally, when I requested a DL change (outside Canada) my previously SP was canceled and counterfoil became invalid.

The rules are available on IRCC's site and they keep hampering on it everywhere. Even if you succeed with changing it now once you land, what is the plan when you need to extend your SP or apply for pgwp? You might have just wasted years for nothing, when you could simply do it right from the beginning. . It's up to every individual to decide what risk they are willing to take.

Choice is yours.
Some people are so desperate to come to Canada, they are willing to ignore long term consequences and eventually the system will bite them in the ass when the time comes for study permit extension or PGWP

Reactions: rogerdude1

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
@ali_121 This is what someone I know is planning to do. They are planning to enter Canada as usual. But after entering Canada and BEFORE the start of their course, they will change their DLI to another college. In short, they will change DLI before both their programs start and after entering Canada.

Since their course hasn't started, it is impossible to "actively study". And the previous college cant cancel the permit because the college hasnt even started. And also, both are post-secondary courses. Hence, they said this method is in compliant with IRCC rules. And worst case scenario, the DLI change will be rejected. But since the study permit is still valid, they can still study with old college in worst case scenario.

Anyway, I don't know if this will help you or not. I personally don't know much, I am just passing the information. Make your own judgement. Perhaps you can ask IRCC using webform. Or ask lawyers from both colleges.
Long story short, the rule/guideline is crystal clear. You need new SP when you apply from outside of Canada or if you are not actively enrolled when applying from within. If your friend ignore and change DLI online, He’ll need PGWP in future, things will be smooth and think that he did the right thing but when they start process any of his future application they will come across that, either on his Gckey account or letter of complication/transcript. It can happen before that too, and when happen they cancel his SP…

winlife

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
And what they did worked or no? cuz im also thinking of doing the change from inside of Canada.
If you read what I wrote, I said "planning to enter Canada". If you read what others wrote, its a new rule. So anyone in the past saying "it worked" doesn't matter.

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
But I'm moving from high school to post-secondary so this doesn't require a new permit as per the guidelines written. The other is if your already studying in a university and want to change which is not my case.

Moving to the next education level
If your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to change or apply for a new permit if you’re moving between school levels. This could be:

• primary to high school
  • high school to post-secondary
  • post-secondary to high school or
  • any other move between school levels

Long story short, the rule/guideline is crystal clear. You need new SP when you apply from outside of Canada or if you are not actively enrolled when applying from within. If your friend ignore and change DLI online, He’ll need PGWP in future, things will be smooth and think that he did the right thing but when they start process any of his future application they will come across that, either on his Gckey account or letter of complication/transcript. It can happen before that too, and when happen they cancel his SP…

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
If you look at the bottom of that page, it was last modified in 2018.

This is the latest (June 2021):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Changing your school or program
Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:
You need to contact us if you:
We may ask you to confirm your student status
If you have a study permit, you may receive an email from us. The email address will end in “@cic.gc.ca.” You must follow the instructions in that email, by the date indicated, to confirm you’re enrolled and actively studying in Canada.
If you change schools and don’t tell us
Your old school will report you as not being registered to study. If this happens:
  • you’re breaking the conditions of your study permit
  • you may be asked to leave the country
  • this may prevent you from coming to Canada in the future
    • For example, you may not be approved for another study or work permit in the future.
Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.
If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.
If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.
You must also pay all the fees for the new application.
But I'm moving from high school to post-secondary so this doesn't require a new permit as per the guidelines written. The other is if your already studying in a university and want to change which is not my case.

If your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to change or apply for a new permit if you’re moving between school levels. This could be:

• primary to high school

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

• primary to high school
Either you are being intentionally obtuse, or you are not reading what everyone has posted here. You do you.

Reactions: rogelcorral

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
Either you are being intentionally obtuse, or you are not reading what everyone has posted here. You do you.
I'm not being intentionally obtuse, thank you very much. I'm trying to understand something so if you can't have some respect, don't even bother answering and keep your shitty attitude to yourself.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018

• primary to high school
Are you in Canada right now? Are you currently holding a study permit for Canadian secondary school? Did you finish high school from a Canadian high school?

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
Are you in Canada right now? Are you currently holding a study permit for Canadian secondary school? Did you finish high school from a Canadian high school?
No, I'm not in Canada, but does this apply to any students moving from the next educational level? or is it only for Canadians? cuz it doesn't really say.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
No, I'm not in Canada, but does this apply to any students moving from the next educational level? or is it only for Canadians? cuz it doesn't really say.
  • primary to high school
If you are currently holding a valid study permit and moving between school levels (as enumerated) then this applies to you. Otherwise, NO.

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
  • primary to high school
If you are currently holding a valid study permit and moving between school levels (as enumerated) then this applies to you. Otherwise, NO.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Cuz my study permit is still valid and expires in 2024, so wouldn't that count? I'm sorry this is just so confusing.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Yeah, that's what I meant. Cuz my study permit is still valid and expires in 2024, so wouldn't that count? I'm sorry this is just so confusing.
Was that permit for a lower level (high school) or for your intended post secondary program? It’s really pretty straightforward. If you are holding a valid study permit for elementary and moving to high school, or if you are holding a study permit for high school and moving to post secondary, then yes it applies to you.

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
Was that permit for a lower level (high school) or for your intended post secondary program? It’s really pretty straightforward. If you are holding a valid study permit for elementary and moving to high school, or if you are holding a study permit for high school and moving to post secondary, then yes it applies to you.
Ohhh alright, that makes sense. I thought it meant if you're holding a study permit in general.