+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI before landing in Canada

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Hi
I was accepted into University A a couple of months ago, so I started the study permit application and it just got approved.
My first choice is University B though, and I'm still waiting for their decision.
If I'm accepted, should I go into GCKey and change my DLI or should I wait until I arrive in Canada? Would I also need a new letter of introduction if I change it before landing?

Thanks.

darthv

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
If you are accepted in Univ B, withdraw from Univ A and change DLI in GCKey account. It is better to do all before arriving in Canada.
Your Letter of Introduction nowhere mentions any university name so you are good to go with that one.
Also, border agents don't ask for that letter from everyone. Many members of this forum including me were not asked to produce it.

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
That's what I was thinking, but whenever I find a thread with a similar question, there are some people saying "switch before you go" and some people saying "wait until you get there."
I think I'll follow your advice, but if anyone has done a DLI switch before landing I would really appreciate if they shared their experience.

Last edited:

darthv

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
That's what I was thinking, but whenever I find a thread with a similar question, there are some people saying "switch before you go" and some people saying "wait until you get there."
I think I'll follow your advice, but if anyone has done a DLI switch before landing I would really appreciate if they shared their experience.
If you go to Univ A, you have to pay fees. No point in doing that if you are withdrawing after one semester. Its waste of money.

darthv

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
I know, I’m not doing it but I figured it had more steps than just changing it.
What you get affixed in your passport is not a study visa, its just a visa which grants you entry in Canada. At the point of entry, you get study permit which is your study visa so no point in having additional steps before even you are granted study permit.

Marake230879

Sep 28, 2018
What you get affixed in your passport is not a study visa, its just a visa which grants you entry in Canada. At the point of entry, you get study permit which is your study visa so no point in having additional steps before even you are granted study permit.
Ok that sounds reasonable. I also asked question about the working conditions in a separate thread, do you know anything about those?

suhelm

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Los angeles
Ok that sounds reasonable. I also asked question about the working conditions in a separate thread, do you know anything about those?
I am on a similar Situation, So what did you do? Did you change DLI before entering Canada in GCKEy account. Please reply

Famil17

Jan 31, 2020
I did, never had any problems.
Hi, I am in a similar situation. Did you change DLI before landing in Canada? Are you in Canada right now? Was there any problem at the port of entry?

I applied to study permit with "A" university which will start in September 2020. I want to change it to "B" university which will start in January 2021. I will change the DLI before landing in Canada. Do you think I might have any problem?

Reactions: SuhasRebel

arkylz

Star Member
Aug 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Philippines
App. Filed.......
06-03-2020
I did, never had any problems.
Hello, I am also planning to apply to a different college. My study permit is still being processed, but I would like to ask which school document did you show to the visa/immigration officer? The one originally from your application or university B?