+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Careers after Permanent Residence

bkhan

Sep 23, 2015
I became a permanent resident in October 2015. I had applied for permanent residence as an Information Systems Analyst and Consultant (NOC Code: 2171)

Soon after I became a permanent resident, I had deep thoughts about changing careers, and have decided to go in that direction.

I am working to become a self-improvement author and online entrepreneur. In the meanwhile, I am still looking for suitable employment to support myself financially, but I have decided not to go back to my IT career. Instead, I am going for a job that would be less stressful and would free up my time and attention to focus on my new career goals.

I plan to become a Canadian citizen after having met the residency requirements for doing so (which will not be until 3-4 years from now), but I am not sure if my decision above will have any bearing on my application for citizenship.

Thank you for your feedback.

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
No, it will have no bearing. Once you complete your landing, you are free to pursue whatever career choice you like.

I too got my PR as a 2171 :p in June 2013. One year ago I accepted a promotion to an Environmental Manager (which is what my formal education was in). You will have no problems.