+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changed my surname.. new PR card

Tinaaa

Oct 25, 2019
Hi,

My partner and I just recently got our PR card. We got married a week ago and I changed my surname. What is the procedure to get my new PR card reissued? We are not in Canada right now but we are planning to go sometime in February.

Thanks for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

My partner and I just recently got our PR card. We got married a week ago and I changed my surname. What is the procedure to get my new PR card reissued? We are not in Canada right now but we are planning to go sometime in February.

Thanks for your help.
1. I assume you will be changing your passport. So carry your PR card, New passport and Marriage certificate when you return to Canada.
2. You will have to wait until you are in Canada, and submit a copy of your marriage certificate with your PR card application.

Tinaaa

Oct 25, 2019
Hi

1. I assume you will be changing your passport. So carry your PR card, New passport and Marriage certificate when you return to Canada.
2. You will have to wait until you are in Canada, and submit a copy of your marriage certificate with your PR card application.
Thank you for your quick reply.

So if I understand correctly, I don't have to bother with any of the forms as suggested here
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-renew-replace-permanent-resident-card.html
?

I assume I have to bring a translated copy of the marriage certificate along with the original document, right?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you for your quick reply.

So if I understand correctly, I don't have to bother with any of the forms as suggested here
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-renew-replace-permanent-resident-card.html
?

I assume I have to bring a translated copy of the marriage certificate along with the original document, right?
1. Right, when you return to Canada, then you apply for a new PR card.

micrarach

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
I am about to apply to change my name on my PR card as I finally changed my passport to my married name.

I have to send in my original passport and marriage certificate - does anyone know how long it takes for them to send these documents back?