+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change Program after SP Approval Outside Canada same DLI

ali04sher

Mar 1, 2023
Hey Guys,

Hope you are all doing well. Wanted to hear your thoughts on the situation that I am facing. I will briefly explain it bellow.

So I was accepted to Masters of Journalism program in a DLI in Canada in April 2022. By June I applied for my study permit but unfortunately my study permit was approved late and I had to defer to Fall 2023 Intake. I let IRCC know through the web form regarding my defer and sent them the official letter. During that same period my SP was Approved and I had to send in my passport to receive my TRV, though I didn't I hear back from IRCC I read online that it is okay to defer as long as you get a new LOA and send a web form. So in their database I have sent an email.

Now, fast forward 3 months after that I heard back from my program department that "the Journalism program has been suspended until further notice and that means all the students that have deferred unfortunately cannot start their studies fall 2023". This news obviously was disappointing and very emotionally tough at the same time.

They give me the following options: 1) Withdraw my application or 2) Apply to different program. Because they sent the letter late January 2023, almost all application deadlines were closed at other universities. So I only had one choice to apply to a similar program. I applied to MA in Media Studies in the same DLI and was recently accepted.

Sorry that this is getting long, but now I am confused. While IRCC gives clear instructions regarding DLI change outside Canada they have very little info about changing program in the same DLI. Moreover, all this is happening out of my control. I pretty stressed and very exhausted with the whole immigration process.

I have a bachelor's in Media and Communications (almost same as Media studies) but also have considerable work experience as a journalist. As most deadlines are closed and with the current immigration backlog I do not want to waste another year starting the application process all over again finding and applying to another Journalism program next intake. Though with an MA in Media Studies I still have all the skills needed to continue in my Journalism career or the media industry in general. The scope, courses and curriculum of the two programs are quite similar too. And the capstone project that I am planning to do is more or less the same.

I know there are cases where students applying to one program and after SP approval try to use it as a loophole and change to a cheaper program or different program. I have to do it as it seems to be my best choice. Planning to send a letter to IRCC, hoping it will all work out.

I am sorry this has been very long, but wanted to be detailed hoping that someone down the line might face the same issues and might find our discussions helpful.

What are your thoughts?

Me_A

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021
Hey Guys,

Hope you are all doing well. Wanted to hear your thoughts on the situation that I am facing. I will briefly explain it bellow.

So I was accepted to Masters of Journalism program in a DLI in Canada in April 2022. By June I applied for my study permit but unfortunately my study permit was approved late and I had to defer to Fall 2023 Intake. I let IRCC know through the web form regarding my defer and sent them the official letter. During that same period my SP was Approved and I had to send in my passport to receive my TRV, though I didn't I hear back from IRCC I read online that it is okay to defer as long as you get a new LOA and send a web form. So in their database I have sent an email.

Now, fast forward 3 months after that I heard back from my program department that "the Journalism program has been suspended until further notice and that means all the students that have deferred unfortunately cannot start their studies fall 2023". This news obviously was disappointing and very emotionally tough at the same time.

They give me the following options: 1) Withdraw my application or 2) Apply to different program. Because they sent the letter late January 2023, almost all application deadlines were closed at other universities. So I only had one choice to apply to a similar program. I applied to MA in Media Studies in the same DLI and was recently accepted.

Sorry that this is getting long, but now I am confused. While IRCC gives clear instructions regarding DLI change outside Canada they have very little info about changing program in the same DLI. Moreover, all this is happening out of my control. I pretty stressed and very exhausted with the whole immigration process.

I have a bachelor's in Media and Communications (almost same as Media studies) but also have considerable work experience as a journalist. As most deadlines are closed and with the current immigration backlog I do not want to waste another year starting the application process all over again finding and applying to another Journalism program next intake. Though with an MA in Media Studies I still have all the skills needed to continue in my Journalism career or the media industry in general. The scope, courses and curriculum of the two programs are quite similar too. And the capstone project that I am planning to do is more or less the same.

I know there are cases where students applying to one program and after SP approval try to use it as a loophole and change to a cheaper program or different program. I have to do it as it seems to be my best choice. Planning to send a letter to IRCC, hoping it will all work out.

I am sorry this has been very long, but wanted to be detailed hoping that someone down the line might face the same issues and might find our discussions helpful.

What are your thoughts?
Changing a course in the same DLI has no problem that is between you and the school. But changing DLI you have to be actively studying in your visa-approved DLI

ali04sher

Mar 1, 2023
Changing a course in the same DLI has no problem that is between you and the school. But changing DLI you have to be actively studying in your visa-approved DLI
Okay great. Yes I am only changing my program and not the DLI. BTW congrats on your visa being approved, best of luck.