devilsofnj

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
Vancouver Island
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
My wife was recently approved to come to Canada through family sponsorship. She will be arriving in B.C. next month. My wife would like to take my last name and therefore we will need to legally change her name.

My knowledge about how legally changing your name in B.C. is limited but from what I know you need to wait three months, unless marriages outside of Canada are covered under section three of B.C.'s Name Act. The act does not appear to define that.

"A spouse by marriage may
(a)use the surname he or she had immediately before the marriage,
(b)use the surname he or she had at birth or by adoption, or
(c)use the surname of his or her spouse by marriage."

Anyway, has anyone on here gone through the legal name change process in B.C. as a spouse or with their spouse and if so, how did it work? Do we need to wait three months or can we begin the process just by simply applying with our marriage license? We were married outside of Canada. Also, should we wait until my wife receives her PR card before beginning any legal name change process?

Reason I ask all this is I am trying to avoid having my wife get all these documents, B.C. Services Card, Drivers License, SIN, etc., in her current name and then having to change them all over again in a few months time.