+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of name on passport but PR card with old name

x0ne0ne

Aug 17, 2023
Hello can someone answer what is the best course of action for my situation.
My father had a wrong name printed on the passport. His full name (both first and last name) are under firstname and the lastname is left blank. Never caused any concern and flash forward to 2022 when he got his PR and on PR card and landing document the name matched his passport so first name and last name written in firstname and the left empty.

Now he is us up for his passport renewal in his home country and he is hoping that he can fix this mistake on new passport and eventually when he is back in Canada in a year or so he can fix his PR card as well.

Question is once the name is fixed in passport, PR card would have different name. Will he have any issues re entering Canada ?
Technically firstname and lastname are the same, no change there but currently passport and PR card has full name under firstname and the lastname section is left empty and in new passport it would be fixed and PR would have a miss match

thanks in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Question is once the name is fixed in passport, PR card would have different name. Will he have any issues re entering Canada ?
Technically firstname and lastname are the same, no change there but currently passport and PR card has full name under firstname and the lastname section is left empty and in new passport it would be fixed and PR would have a miss match
Are you sure that both names are in the FIRSTNAME field? I believe the standard is that they put both in the LASTNAME filed on the PR card, if there's any doubt. (Put different, lastname is required, firstname is optional, atlhough they typically add XXX meaning no firstname). Of course, this might ahve changed over time, don't know.

There are two different issues here: first, whether he will be allowed on the plane by the airline or not - and on that, I've no idea. Check with the airline is all I can suggest.

Second, Canada: my guess is that he will not have any problem in Canada IF all the other data matches and especially if he retains the old passport (or at minimum photocopy) ideally with cancelled stamp or other to make it clear it's now gone. The CBSA officers take pretty seriously the part of the law that says PRs shall be admitted, and they do not seem to play games with the task of identifying individuals (i.e. if the records and docs match what they have in their system). I don't think they outright try to say that the names not being in the correct first/last name fields means it's not the right person (but that's not a guarantee).

Also it seems not that uncommon for some countries (esp India) to have this come up, inconsistency with use of first and last names on passports (and changes/corrections to split first/last).

But to be clear: he definitely should have done this in Canada if at all possible. If he gets stuck - not let on board the plane - he may have to deal with the visa section at the embassy, and no one can tell how long that might take. (It would eventually get resolved, I believe).

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123