+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Marital Status after receiving CoPR but before the landing process

Oct 11, 2018
Hi All,

Good day.

I have received my COPR document and got my passport stamped with the one-time passport. As per the process the next steps for me are to either schedule an interview or do the landing process before 6/6/2019 and formally apply for the PR card.

My question is that while my current status is 'Single (never married)', I am getting married in January on the 18th of the month outside Canada in my home country of India.
I was wondering what should my next step be ? Should I take the appointment now and inform the immigration officer about my future plan ? Or, is it possible for me to wait till Feb 1st when am back and then inform the officer that I got married in January - In this case, can they add my wife's name in my application?

Could you please provide some guidance on what would happen in case of each option? I believe there is a 70-90 gap between the interview and actually receiving the PR wherein I will not be allowed to travel abroad which is concerning to me as my tickets are booked for end of December to arrange for the marriage. Thus, am inclining towards the second option.

Thanks and Regards

Sainisaab

May 9, 2019
Hello sir,
My situation is very similar would you please elaborate the process
When can one inform CIC about the change at the latest

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You must land before the expiry of your COPR. You cannot postpone the landing past the date on the COPR unless you ask for it to be reissued, and you will likely need to redo medicals. However, are you already in Canada?

If you are married before you land and so not update IRCC and have your COPR reissued as married, you will forever be barred from sponsoring your spouse.

If you land, and then get married, you may return to Canada and begin the sponsorship process for your spouse.

In your case - you must land as single unless you become court married before June 6. You are not yet married so you are still single. You will then apply for a PR card and hopefully get it before you travel for your wedding.

The important part - if you are married before you land and do not update your application before you land you will be barred from sponsoring your spouse. Your second option above is not an option.

Reactions: kato20182020

kato20182020

Aug 29, 2018
Hi PLEASE, I NEED HELP IN FORM OF INFORMATION, my girlfriend got a study permit but she applied as a single applicant but we are planning to get married before she lands, I was wondering whether she will get a problem in applying for an open work permit for me. or she should land then come back and we get married. I would be glad for your feedback

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi PLEASE, I NEED HELP IN FORM OF INFORMATION, my girlfriend got a study permit but she applied as a single applicant but we are planning to get married before she lands, I was wondering whether she will get a problem in applying for an open work permit for me. or she should land then come back and we get married. I would be glad for your feedback
If she is only on a study permit she doesn’t need to advise IRCC that she has gotten married. You should be aware that spouses of international students are not guaranteed a visa/permit.

kato20182020

Aug 29, 2018
If she is only on a study permit she doesn’t need to advise IRCC that she has gotten married. You should be aware that spouses of international students are not guaranteed a visa/permit.
Thank you so much, you have no idea the weight you just lifted from my chest, thank you, please advice me more, is it better to marry before you land or land then go back and get married? THANK YOU

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much, you have no idea the weight you just lifted from my chest, thank you, please advice me more, is it better to marry before you land or land then go back and get married? THANK YOU
Just a reminder that being married does not assure that you will get an SOWP while your spouse is studying. It says you can apply. If you get denied you will have to wait until your spouse has PGWP and meets the specifications you will be able to get an SOWP.

kato20182020

Aug 29, 2018
Just a reminder that being married does not assure that you will get an SOWP while your spouse is studying. It says you can apply. If you get denied you will have to wait until your spouse has PGWP and meets the specifications you will be able to get an SOWP.
Thank you for this valuable information

Jennnn11

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-12-2020
Hi, I just want to ask what to do, because I am a permanent resident of Canada, I landed July 2018. went back to my home country last july 2019, and I am planning to get married on January 2020, will go back to Canada on the same month.
1. Should I change my marital status here in the Philippines or i'll just do it in Canada
2. Should I add him as my dependant here in the Philippines or should I just do it in Canada
3. My papers are still single by that time, what are the things I need to do.
I would really appreciate if you help me be enlightened with this matter

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I just want to ask what to do, because I am a permanent resident of Canada, I landed July 2018. went back to my home country last july 2019, and I am planning to get married on January 2020, will go back to Canada on the same month.
1. Should I change my marital status here in the Philippines or i'll just do it in Canada
2. Should I add him as my dependant here in the Philippines or should I just do it in Canada
3. My papers are still single by that time, what are the things I need to do.
I would really appreciate if you help me be enlightened with this matter
1. You do not need to change your marital status.
2. You do not add him as your dependent. This is not a step in the process.
3. Once you return to Canada after you are married, you can apply to sponosor him for permanent residency as your spouse through the Family Sponsorship programs.

Jennnn11

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-12-2020
1. You do not need to change your marital status.
2. You do not add him as your dependent. This is not a step in the process.
3. Once you return to Canada after you are married, you can apply to sponosor him for permanent residency as your spouse through the Family Sponsorship programs.
So if I am planning to go back to Canada after getting married lets say weeks after getting married, I don't need to worry about being interviewed and asked if my status or information has changed? (usually in Immigration part)
Should I bring a copy of my marriage cert.if i happened to secure one right away? Or should I just do it upon application for sponsorship?
Lastly, Is it okay for me to just have SINGLE in my marital status when I go back to Canada?

Thanks a lot. Sorry for having a lot of inquiries, I just want to be sure and do the right thing when I go back

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So if I am planning to go back to Canada after getting married lets say weeks after getting married, I don't need to worry about being interviewed and asked if my status or information has changed? (usually in Immigration part)
Should I bring a copy of my marriage cert.if i happened to secure one right away? Or should I just do it upon application for sponsorship?
Lastly, Is it okay for me to just have SINGLE in my marital status when I go back to Canada?

Thanks a lot. Sorry for having a lot of inquiries, I just want to be sure and do the right thing when I go back
Nobody is going to ask you about your marital status when you return to Canada. If CBSA asks what you did in the Philippines you should of course be honest and say you got married. No need to show your marriage certificate upon return. You will need to change your status to married when you file your taxes and declare your husband’s income at that time.

Jennnn11

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-12-2020
Nobody is going to ask you about your marital status when you return to Canada. If CBSA asks what you did in the Philippines you should of course be honest and say you got married. No need to show your marriage certificate upon return. You will need to change your status to married when you file your taxes and declare your husband’s income at that time.
Thank you so much. that lifts a heavy burden in my chest since I heard stories about conflicts with regard to getting amrried in the philippines and returning without declaring the spouse as a dependent, or is it just applicable to those who are landing for the 1st time?

Jennnn11

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-12-2020
Thank you so much. that lifts a heavy burden in my chest since I heard stories about conflicts with regard to getting amrried in the philippines and returning without declaring the spouse as a dependent, or is it just applicable to those who are landing for the 1st time?
Also, I really am planning to sponsor Him to go to Canada, but I myself was sponsored not more than 5 years by my Mom. Will that add to complications on my application or not?

Will it be okay for me to sponsor him even if I am just residing or will reside in Canada (at the time of application) for about 2 or 3 years?