+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of college

karthik1987

Jan 6, 2013
Hi,

I want to transfer college of new caledonia in BC province to Fleming college. But how many days it takes to transfer. My sem starts on Sep 3rd I want to transfer before that.
1. If I transfer before my 1st sem starts will my full tuition fee will be transfered.
2. How early should I go to canada to complete the transfer process.
3. What happens if the college say that they dont transfer the tuition fee? What do I need to then ?

Any suggestion would of great help

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

In order to get refund of your tuition fee, you need to produce admission letter from another participating college under SPP, college will refund your tuition fee deducting a nominal amount of 400 to 600 CAD$ (please check your LOA). The college you moving to, if it falls in SPP or not, please review the following link;

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/india-inde/visas/spp-ppe.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

You can apply for admission now and send the admission letter to your current college specifying the reason of transfer as well.

karthik1987

Jan 6, 2013
sabby2612 said:
Hello,

In order to get refund of your tuition fee, you need to produce admission letter from another participating college under SPP, college will refund your tuition fee deducting a nominal amount of 400 to 600 CAD$ (please check your LOA). The college you moving to, if it falls in SPP or not, please review the following link;

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/india-inde/visas/spp-ppe.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

You can apply for admission now and send the admission letter to your current college specifying the reason of transfer as well.

Hi,
Thanks. Yes the college is under spp. I am in India now. Can I send my offer letter of fleming college to the college of new caledonia in BC province from India itself. Will my study permit be valid if i change my college from India itself

tiger007

Champion Member
sabby2612 said:
Hello,

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, there is NO such condition, attached to the SPP program, that student has to transfer to another SPP college, and only then the fees will be refunded (less cancellation fees). As per cancellation & refund policies of ANY SPP college, usually one needs to show a copy of a Letter of Acceptance from another educational institution , and then the fees are usually transferred to that new college OR the student must show a one-way return flight ticket back home, so that the refund tuition fees can be deposited directly to the bank a/c, as directed by the student.

eg: http://www.georgebrown.ca/international/currentstudents/withdrawal_refund_policy.aspx

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Your study permit is valid even if you change the college/uni now or later once you land in Canada. Please check your conditional LOA and unconditional LOA, it will be mentioned that you need to apply for a college/uni which falls in SPP (student Partners Program) and in fact while applying for Visa also, it's mandate you apply for a college which falls in SPP. Both the colleges you mentioned are in SPP list. Hence, yes you can either initiate the process now or later, up to you. However, do read both conditional and unconditional LOA, they would have mentioned the conditions as well. Now, for the refund, as per the process, they refund the money to the originating account (if you paid this fee out of a loan account, money will be routed back to loan account). If you are going for September Intake, you have enough time, you can initiate the process now.

Hope it helps.

cheers!

tiger007

Champion Member
sabby2612 said:
Please check your conditional LOA and unconditional LOA, it will be mentioned that you need to apply for a college/uni which falls in SPP (student Partners Program) and in fact while applying for Visa also, it's mandate you apply for a college which falls in SPP. Both the colleges you mentioned are in SPP list. Hence, yes you can either initiate the process now or later, up to you. However, do read both conditional and unconditional LOA, they would have mentioned the conditions as well.
Hi,

If I understand correctly, are you suggesting that it is not possible for Indian students to change over to another NON-SPP college/educational institute?

I have gone through a recent LOA from GBC (an SPP college), as well as the SPP checklist and CIC website... couldn't find any such condition attached to the LOA or for applying under SPP category. If such is the case, it will be impossible for students from India, coming over under SPP category study permit to change over to a NON-SPP educational institute. If, such was the case, CIC rules would have surely mentioned that... and not that any post secondary international student is free to change course/college.. and so would SPP college refund polices would have clearly mentioned about this particular clause. Anyway, it's very possible that I may have missed it... and would you kindly send me the link, which explicitly mentions that - you can only change over to another SPP educational institute?

I could only find this:

The Student Partners Program involves close cooperative partnership and feedback from the participating colleges to ensure student compliance with the terms of their study permits. Essential to the program feedback mechanism is the student's consent for the institution to provide information on attendance. The student must sign the consent declaration on the SPP checklist in order to be processed under this program.
(http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/india-inde/visas/spp-ppe.aspx?lang=eng&view=d)

This in no way suggests that it's not possible to change over to another NON SPP college/univ.

According to GBC refund polices: (http://www.georgebrown.ca/international/currentstudents/withdrawal_refund_policy.aspx)

To ensure that students holding Study Permits are in compliance with the conditions of their Permit, you will be required to provide one of the following to support your withdrawal / refund request:
A copy of a Letter of Acceptance from another educational institution; or
Proof of return to your home country (e.g., one way airline ticket with confirmed travel dates; refund processing will begin after the departure date of a confirmed ticket) or
Letter of visa refusal from a Canadian Embassy or High Commission

Hence, to be in in compliance with the conditions of the study Permit (SPP or other), one must provide a new LOA of another recognized educational institute... SPP or not.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

karthik1987

Jan 6, 2013
sabby2612 said:
Hello,

Your study permit is valid even if you change the college/uni now or later once you land in Canada. Please check your conditional LOA and unconditional LOA, it will be mentioned that you need to apply for a college/uni which falls in SPP (student Partners Program) and in fact while applying for Visa also, it's mandate you apply for a college which falls in SPP. Both the colleges you mentioned are in SPP list. Hence, yes you can either initiate the process now or later, up to you. However, do read both conditional and unconditional LOA, they would have mentioned the conditions as well. Now, for the refund, as per the process, they refund the money to the originating account (if you paid this fee out of a loan account, money will be routed back to loan account). If you are going for September Intake, you have enough time, you can initiate the process now.

Hope it helps.

cheers!

Hi,
You r saying that I can apply for transfer from India itself and my study permit will be valid. I just have to show my new offer letter to my present college and they will transfer the tuition fee to that college

karthik1987

Jan 6, 2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

If I understand correctly, are you suggesting that it is not possible for Indian students to change over to another NON-SPP college/educational institute?

I have gone through a recent LOA from GBC (an SPP college), as well as the SPP checklist and CIC website... couldn't find any such condition attached to the LOA or for applying under SPP category. If such is the case, it will be impossible for students from India, coming over under SPP category study permit to change over to a NON-SPP educational institute. If, such was the case, CIC rules would have surely mentioned that... and not that any post secondary international student is free to change course/college.. and so would SPP college refund polices would have clearly mentioned about this particular clause. Anyway, it's very possible that I may have missed it... and would you kindly send me the link, which explicitly mentions that - you can only change over to another SPP educational institute?

I could only find this:

The Student Partners Program involves close cooperative partnership and feedback from the participating colleges to ensure student compliance with the terms of their study permits. Essential to the program feedback mechanism is the student's consent for the institution to provide information on attendance. The student must sign the consent declaration on the SPP checklist in order to be processed under this program.
(http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/india-inde/visas/spp-ppe.aspx?lang=eng&view=d)

This in no way suggests that it's not possible to change over to another NON SPP college/univ.

According to GBC refund polices: (http://www.georgebrown.ca/international/currentstudents/withdrawal_refund_policy.aspx)

To ensure that students holding Study Permits are in compliance with the conditions of their Permit, you will be required to provide one of the following to support your withdrawal / refund request:
A copy of a Letter of Acceptance from another educational institution; or
Proof of return to your home country (e.g., one way airline ticket with confirmed travel dates; refund processing will begin after the departure date of a confirmed ticket) or
Letter of visa refusal from a Canadian Embassy or High Commission

Hence, to be in in compliance with the conditions of the study Permit (SPP or other), one must provide a new LOA of another recognized educational institute... SPP or not.

Hi, tiger
I can transfer to fleming college from India itself and my study permit will be still valid and also my tuition fee will transferred to fleming college

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Tiger and Kartik,

Well first of all, there are certain colleges/uni where OCWP is applicable. please review the link;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

if the college is not listed (not SPP) then you don't get OCWP rest you can make out what I meant. and as far as changing even program at same or higher level doesn't require you to apply for study permit again.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15

Now, the reason I have specified it needs to be SPP college/UNi is my own offer letter specifies in case of refund of fee "I have documented proof of admission to another SPP Canadian college/Uni".

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Kartik, sorry I couldn't reply your second query. Colleges do not transfer funds from their accounts to another college you are opting now. As per the process, they refund the money in the same account from where the funds originated. As said in my earlier post, You still have enough time, you can initiate the process now and send them admission letter of another college. Hence, they will initiate the refund process from their end.

Cheers!

tiger007

Champion Member
sabby2612 said:
Hello Tiger and Kartik,

Well first of all, there are certain colleges/uni where OCWP is applicable. please review the link;
if the college is not listed (not SPP) then you don't get OCWP rest you can make out what I meant. and as far as changing even program at same or higher level doesn't require you to apply for study permit again.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15
Now, the reason I have specified it needs to be SPP college/UNi is my own offer letter specifies in case of refund of fee "I have documented proof of admission to another SPP Canadian college/Uni".
Hope it helps.
Cheers!

Hi,

I see now, what you meant. See..it's not SPP... if the educational institute (both SPP and NON SPP) is NOT on the list of participating colleges in OCWP, then even if you change college/course...you will be able to continue your studies under a valid a PGWP, but won't be able to get an OCWP after 6 months. It has nothing to do with the SPP list.

Here's the list of educational institutes, participating in OCWP+PGWP, listed according to province:

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Indeed, true. However, as mentioned earlier, I said it needs to be SPP as my LOA states this condition. Hence, I thought its worth sharing.

karthik1987

Jan 6, 2013
Hi tiger and sabby
Thanks for reply. In my unconditional LOA in refund policy section it has given:Fees received by College are NOT transferrable to any other institution of higher learning.
But in college website they have given that they will transfer if the student withdraw before the class start.
What do i need to about it.

tiger007

Champion Member
karthik1987 said:
In my unconditional LOA in refund policy section it has given:Fees received by College are NOT transferrable to any other institution of higher learning.
But in college website they have given that they will transfer if the student withdraw before the class start.
What do i need to about it.
Hi,

Email Fleming College about the both contradicting statements/ rules, that came to your notice: one on the offer letter (attach pdf LOA) and another on the college website (provide link). Ask them, which one is applicable? And make sure about the rules... before you finalize any plans. To the best of my knowledge, like any other recognized Canadian college, they will transfer the tuition fees (after deducting cancellation fees) to any other recognized educational institute, provided you submit the application for withdrawal form with a Letter of Acceptance of another institution, before the mentioned deadline.
(http://flemingcollege.ca/PDF/International-Student-Withdrawal-Policy.pdf)