+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Citizenship While in Process

peterm

Jan 7, 2006
I just applied to sponsor my wife to immigrate to Canada. She's a Chinese citizen and U.S. permanent resident. Later this year she will be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship. If she gets U.S. citizenship, will this affect or invalidate an in-process application for Canadian permanent residence? The timing would be tight, but she might be able to get the U.S. citizenship prior to moving to Canada.

Unless this is against the rules, the only barrier I can think of is that she would no longer be able to use a Chinese passport, and the Chinese passport was submitted as part of the Canadian sponsorship application.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

peterm said:
I just applied to sponsor my wife to immigrate to Canada. She's a Chinese citizen and U.S. permanent resident. Later this year she will be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship. If she gets U.S. citizenship, will this affect or invalidate an in-process application for Canadian permanent residence? The timing would be tight, but she might be able to get the U.S. citizenship prior to moving to Canada.

Unless this is against the rules, the only barrier I can think of is that she would no longer be able to use a Chinese passport, and the Chinese passport was submitted as part of the Canadian sponsorship application.
No, it makes no difference, but if she becomes a US citizen, inform CIC and submit US passport for COPR.

PMM

peterm

Jan 7, 2006
Thanks, PMM - very informative as always.

Are you an immigration lawyer? It seems so, given your knowledge level.

bassem132

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
syria
Category........
Visa Office......
amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03\02\2012
AOR Received.
01\03\2012
File Transfer...
02\03\2012
I submitted my application on February 3, 2012 and got a bail on 28 February and Akhaddt approval Alkiubik on 21 March and sent my file to Jordan on March 1 note I am Syrian, and my wife is Canadian citizenship as possible was the difficult situations in Syria was the reason for the acceleration of acceptance I do not know I wish success to everyone and have information you soo wait much after I passed the first stage

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bassem132 said:
I submitted my application on February 3, 2012 and got a bail on 28 February and Akhaddt approval Alkiubik on 21 March and sent my file to Jordan on March 1 note I am Syrian, and my wife is Canadian citizenship as possible was the difficult situations in Syria was the reason for the acceleration of acceptance I do not know I wish success to everyone and have information you soo wait much after I passed the first stage
Your third identical post in a thread that's been dead for almost 7 years.
Wow...you really are a special little person, aren't you?