+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change marital status with CRA

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am a PR, sponsoring my husband from USA. We have already sent our application and waiting to hear the sponsor approval. When I attached my "Notice of Assessment" for 2009, it said marital status : SINGLE. However, I later confirmed from the office, no matter what my status is now, that tax return would still say SINGLE since I was SINGLE in 2009.
Now I am just wondering whether I need to change my marital status with CRA, or I can wait for that until I apply for the tax for this year. I didn't think it was urgent, and the whole process takes about 30 days.
Has anyone got the sponsor approval, with their marital status still single under the Canada Revenue Agency?

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I was approved as sponsor even though my option C said single. I was common law so it should have said that. We became common law and I should have filed as such but actually completely forgot. Still approved no questions asked. The CRA does request you change your status as soon as it changes. There is a form for it. Haven't done that either :(. Will just file as common law this year I guess.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Well since we aren't applying through outland, I am not sure if my husband has been approved as my sponsor yet or not. On the Option C that he received, it said he was single. I don't see why it should be a problem. If it ever is, just show them where you changed your marital status on taxes this year. Last year we waited to inform CRA of a change in marital status to common law and even though we got married in May this past year we are just waiting until tax time to inform them of the change.

Like kelKel said, CRA does recommend that you inform them of any change as soon as it happens but I am sure it isn't uncommon to wait until next tax year to update them.

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alright ! That relives me from the tension. I will change it as soon as I can now, but I am glad it won't cause big trouble for the sponsor approval !

Thank you :)