+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in surname of wife and adding the details to my COPR

Prince5859

Jun 12, 2019
Hi,
I have received Canada COPR recently (with status as single). However I got married very recently after the passport stamping is over and I’ve informed IRCC about my change in marital status. My wife doesn’t have passport yet and I’m planning to apply for it soon. In the marriage certificate I intend to change the surname of my wife (to include my surname after her name). And the passport of my wife would include new name (only surname change, original name remains same). With name change of my wife after marriage, if I add my spouse details to the COPR application of mine would this be acceptable to IRCC? or IRCC accepts documents of my wife with old name (before marriage). All my wife others documents in India prior to marriage (example: education document, job offer letter etc) would bear old name I.e., before marriage. In marriage certificate and passport of my wife will carry details with new surname. Please suggest if I can proceed to add my spouse details to my COPR process with this name differences of my wife before marriage and after marriage.

Many thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I have received Canada COPR recently (with status as single). However I got married very recently after the passport stamping is over and I’ve informed IRCC about my change in marital status. My wife doesn’t have passport yet and I’m planning to apply for it soon. In the marriage certificate I intend to change the surname of my wife (to include my surname after her name). And the passport of my wife would include new name (only surname change, original name remains same). With name change of my wife after marriage, if I add my spouse details to the COPR application of mine would this be acceptable to IRCC? or IRCC accepts documents of my wife with old name (before marriage). All my wife others documents in India prior to marriage (example: education document, job offer letter etc) would bear old name I.e., before marriage. In marriage certificate and passport of my wife will carry details with new surname. Please suggest if I can proceed to add my spouse details to my COPR process with this name differences of my wife before marriage and after marriage.

Many thanks in advance.
The name used for her in the PR app will be whatever name is in her passport. There is no issue with documents being in both her maiden and married name.