+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances to re-enter Canada without valid PR card

mat.d

Feb 10, 2016
Hi,

I realize this question must have been asked many times, and I have scrolled through the pages to look for a previous post asking this question but could not find any. My question is the following:

What are my chances to be able to re-enter Canada by flying in without my valid PR card, given that my passport is from a visa-exempt country?

I know I am supposed to have the PR card with me. What I am wondering is: what happens if I don't? I have to go to the US next week (driving is not an option), and I have been told my card will take another 6 weeks to arrive... All I am looking for is a "None, don't do it" or a "You can give it a try - it worked for me" sort of answer.

Thanks to anyone that might help !!

Cheers,
Mat.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Many people have done it. You would just need to hide the fact you're a PR from the airline, and pretend your traveling to Canada as a visitor only on your visa-exempt passport.
Some airline are very picky about you showing proof of a return or onward ticket from Canada which would be typical of a visitor.

Note that after March 15th the eTA system becomes mandatory which will prevent PRs doing this on visa-exempt passports (except for US citizens).

Once back in Canada, CBSA will only require your passport + COPR landing document to easily determine your PR status.

mat.d

Feb 10, 2016
Thank you very much for your help! I will be back before March 15th, so I guess I am lucky in a way.

Thanks again!
M.

Endui

May 4, 2015
Yes it works.

I did it yesterday.
Officer asked me about my status in Canada, I said is PR, so he asked me where is my PR Card, I said I don't have because still waiting.
Officer unfold my COPR and showed me this info:"NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" with smile on his face.
In the end he checked my passport and stamped it and that's all.

After receiving passport in my hand I asked him How is it ? Can I travel w/o this card or not?
He had not very good answer for me but basically he said I should have a card and travel w/o only in emergency situation. Also said that in worse case scenario CBSA will ask me to go to immigration for a talk and after checking status in system they will let me go.

My passport is from a visa-exempt country.

Like @Rob_TO wrote. If airline let you board then you are ready to go. You need to be say that you are tourist. It is all about boarding.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
mat.d said:
Thank you very much for your help! I will be back before March 15th, so I guess I am lucky in a way.

Thanks again!
M.
Yup, you should be ok.

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
Guys, I have a similar scenario and I am not sure what to do:

I got the PR on 12th JAN 2016 and now waiting for the PR card. For now, I just have the COPR document as a proof of PR. I need to travel. It's kind of emergency. My stay is short and I can't apply for Travel Document. How should I come back to Canada? I am not from the visa-exempt country.

P.S. I also have a valid multi-entry visit visa for Canada. Though I am not sure if it is still valid as now I have the PR.

How can I re-enter the Canada? :-X

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
usman_14pk said:
Guys, I have a similar scenario and I am not sure what to do:

I got the PR on 12th JAN 2016 and now waiting for the PR card. For now, I just have the COPR document as a proof of PR. I need to travel. It's kind of emergency. My stay is short and I can't apply for Travel Document. How should I come back to Canada? I am not from the visa-exempt country.

P.S. I also have a valid multi-entry visit visa for Canada. Though I am not sure if it is still valid as now I have the PR.

How can I re-enter the Canada? :-X
Your multi-entry TRV became invalid as soon as you landed as a PR.

Your only option is to get a visa to the US, fly to a US city close to the border, and drive across the border into Canada.

Only way to fly to Canada directly is with a PR card or Travel Document. No other options.

lbdz

Star Member
May 26, 2014
Can air carriers check that someone is PR and then see than an old visa is invalid because of that? I have a similar situation. Dont have a PR card yet, only my visa-exempt passport and CoPR. I have already my flght back to canada, since it was round trip.

If I say im visiting then doesnt make sense and I would need return flight anyway... Maybe showing the old work permit just to the air company would be the same and they wouldnt ask for return flight.

But im a bit scared of doing this... Not sure if they can see residency status or something when they check passport.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lbdz said:
Can air carriers check that someone is PR and then see than an old visa is invalid because of that? I have a simlar situation. Dont have a PR card yet, only my visa-exempt passport and CoPR. I have already my flght back to canada, since it was round trip.

If say im visiting then doesnt make sense and I would need return flight anyway... Maybe showing the old work permit just to the air company would be the same and they wouldnt ask for return flight.

But im a bit scared of doing this... Not sure if they can see residency status or something when they check passport.
1. If your return flight is after 15th of March, you are going to have to get a Returning Resident Travel Document, as a PR you aren't eligible for an ETA. So without an ETA or PRTD, the airline won't board you.

lbdz

Star Member
May 26, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

1. If your return flight is after 15th of March, you are going to have to get a Returning Resident Travel Document, as a PR you aren't eligible for an ETA. So without an ETA or PRTD, the airline won't board you.
Hello.

Yes, of course. Flight is before 15th of March.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Endui said:
Officer unfold my COPR and showed me this info:"NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" with smile on his face.
They like to do that. I've also done that to them, when they ask why I only hand over a Passport or Passport card. If it's not valid for travel, they shouldn't need it, right?

Also said that in worse case scenario CBSA will ask me to go to immigration for a talk and after checking status in system they will let me go.
The front line agents can't hit a few keys and know how long you were gone. To really get a good count, they have to refer you to secondary, which means a bit more work for someone else. They only do it if they have a reason - a suspicion that it will accomplish something.

If they send you to secondary, and everything is fine, they just wasted that officer's time when there's someone else who might need that extra criminal check, or immigration check.[/quote]

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
lbdz said:
Can air carriers check that someone is PR and then see than an old visa is invalid because of that? I have a similar situation. Dont have a PR card yet, only my visa-exempt passport and CoPR. I have already my flght back to canada, since it was round trip.

If I say im visiting then doesnt make sense and I would need return flight anyway... Maybe showing the old work permit just to the air company would be the same and they wouldnt ask for return flight.

Air carriers know what you tell them. Even if you were a PR, you might not be one now. They can't background check a passport - they just hand it to the government and let them deal with it.

If you don't have a return ticket, you will likely be flagged for "needs verification of status". Until March 15, the airline can simply check that you have a visa-exempt passport, and that will be sufficient.

As long as you give them something that says you are entitled to travel to Canada, they will let you board. That might be a work permit, a visa, a COPR/PR Card/PRTD, or (until March 15) a visa-exempt passport.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
kateg said:
As long as you give them something that says you are entitled to travel to Canada, they will let you board. That might be a work permit, a visa, a COPR/PR Card/PRTD, or (until March 15) a visa-exempt passport.
A COPR is not a valid travel document. Up until March 15, if a PR with visa-exempt passport tries to board a plane as a visitor then presenting a COPR will tell the airline you're actually a PR. And once airline knows you're a PR, they may demand nothing short of a PR card or Travel doc to allow boarding.

So up until March 15, any visa-exempt travelers trying to board a flight without their PR card should NOT show the airline their COPR at all.