+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CGA and CA merger

rogue_shah

Apr 8, 2013
Hi,
As you may know, CGA canada and CA canada are in process of being merged together.
http://www.cga-bc.org/about_us.aspx?id=21822

What does that mean for the ACCA's MRA with CGA Canada?

faisal892

May 11, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2010
Doc's Request.
12-10-2010
Med's Request
April 16, 2013
Med's Done....
May 23, 2013
Just sent email to CGA in this regard. As soon as any response is received I will let you know. In the mean time if you get any information please keep me updated.

Faisal

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Hi Faisal

Did you get a reply from CGA? Do keep us posted. Thanks.
Are you an ACCA considering CGA under MRA or you will be effected otherwise through this proposed MRA, like CPA (US) to CPA (Canada) transition etc.

faisal892 said:
Just sent email to CGA in this regard. As soon as any response is received I will let you know. In the mean time if you get any information please keep me updated.

Faisal

faisal892

May 11, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2010
Doc's Request.
12-10-2010
Med's Request
April 16, 2013
Med's Done....
May 23, 2013
rogue_shah said:
Hi,
As you may know, CGA canada and CA canada are in process of being merged together.
http://www.cga-bc.org/about_us.aspx?id=21822

What does that mean for the ACCA's MRA with CGA Canada?
Hi,

Below is the response that I have received from CGA.

There are 3 things you will need before you can apply to become a CGA under the current ACCA MRA - - -

1. A degree recognized by CGA Alberta/CPA Alberta (cannot use your ACCA as a degree, must be a stand-alone separate degree);

2. You will need to be a full (not Associate) member of ACCA; and

3. You will need to be allowed to work in Canada.

If you have all three, take a short 2-day online course, and pay the prescribed fees, you can become a CGA/CPA.

The current MRA will remain in place until it expires, or is renegotiated. Information on the current MRA can be found on our website at http://www.cga-alberta.org/Members/Continuing-Professional-Development/International-Opportunities.

If for some reason the current MRA is no longer available, and you want to become a CPA you will have to be evaluated under the terms of the student admission process then in effect.

Faisal

eemmoo1

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well chances are highly likely that sooner or later all the three bodies will merge in to CPA.

I am also ACCA member but currently I am not looking forward to CGA-ACCA MRA pathway. What if we get CGA through this path and later on MRA is not renewed. We will be again evaluated by CPA. If I landed, In shaa Allah, I will be applying to CPA directly and will try to complete their requirements being member of an IFAC body (ACCA) registered outside Canada.

faisal892

May 11, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2010
Doc's Request.
12-10-2010
Med's Request
April 16, 2013
Med's Done....
May 23, 2013
eemmoo1 said:
Well chances are highly likely that sooner or later all the three bodies will merge in to CPA.

I am also ACCA member but currently I am not looking forward to CGA-ACCA MRA pathway. What if we get CGA through this path and later on MRA is not renewed. We will be again evaluated by CPA. If I landed, In shaa Allah, I will be applying to CPA directly and will try to complete their requirements being member of an IFAC body (ACCA) registered outside Canada.
Once you are CGA you are CGA for ever. Non renewal of MRA with ACCA will not impact you.

Faisal

faisal892

May 11, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2010
Doc's Request.
12-10-2010
Med's Request
April 16, 2013
Med's Done....
May 23, 2013
eemmoo1 said:
R u sure?
If you have any doubt send email to CGA and ask them. I sent email to gbeck@albertaaccountants.org; studentservices@cga-alberta.org and scampbell@albertaaccountants.org

If their response is different than what I said in previous post then please let me know as well.

Faisal

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
eemmoo1 said:
R u sure?
For sure this is the case. Current rights of existing members will not be revoked. I have already got the CGA designation through MRA and was actively tracking the progress of merger, this is a key point of negotiation. However, the requirement number 3 in Faisal’s e-mail of eligibility to work is new to me……

eemmoo1 You are the best person to decide, my advice to anyone eligible (under MRA) for CGA is to get it as soon as possible. The benefits of CGA designation significantly outweigh the cost and effort involved in getting the designation for ACCA members, provided you are planning to make a permanent move to Canada.

Good luck to all of us and do keep me posted if you come across any information to the contrary.

eemmoo1

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
May2010applicant said:
For sure this is the case. Current rights of existing members will not be revoked. I have already got the CGA designation through MRA and was actively tracking the progress of merger, this is a key point of negotiation. However, the requirement number 3 in Faisal's e-mail of eligibility to work is new to me......

eemmoo1 You are the best person to decide, my advice to anyone eligible (under MRA) for CGA is to get it as soon as possible. The benefits of CGA designation significantly outweigh the cost and effort involved in getting the designation for ACCA members, provided you are planning to make a permanent move to Canada.

Good luck to all of us and do keep me posted if you come across any information to the contrary.
That's good in fact.

Nov 24, 2013
Hi Guys,

Need help to get CGA designation. I have appeared in my last exam of CPA Australia and hopefully I will pass it. I know that CPA Australia and CGA / CMA canada has mutual recognition agreements.

My question is
Has anyone gone through this route ?
What are the costs involved?
Which one is better CGA or CMA?

Cheers

MFI_2014

Sep 18, 2014
Hi,

I am member of ACCA and will become FCCA next year; I also did my bachelor of Commerce (B.com) from University of Karachi, Pakistan. I am interested in getting CGA membership under the MRA between ACCA and CGA candidate however as per requirement of MRA candidate should have graduation degree.

My question is that do CGA accept B.Com as a graduation (which i doubt, they will not), what are the other options available? Can I get admission in any graduation program of Canadian university and get some exemptions on the basis of B.Com or if i complete my M.Com from pakistan, it will be total 16 years of education, will it satisfy the requirement of graduation. I have already applied for FSW.

Thanks in advance.

faisal892

May 11, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2010
Doc's Request.
12-10-2010
Med's Request
April 16, 2013
Med's Done....
May 23, 2013
MFI_2014 said:
Hi,

I am member of ACCA and will become FCCA next year; I also did my bachelor of Commerce (B.com) from University of Karachi, Pakistan. I am interested in getting CGA membership under the MRA between ACCA and CGA candidate however as per requirement of MRA candidate should have graduation degree.

My question is that do CGA accept B.Com as a graduation (which i doubt, they will not), what are the other options available? Can I get admission in any graduation program of Canadian university and get some exemptions on the basis of B.Com or if i complete my M.Com from pakistan, it will be total 16 years of education, will it satisfy the requirement of graduation. I have already applied for FSW.

Thanks in advance.
Better to send email to CGA Canada.

Faisal