+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified copies of originals?

_Leandro_

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
To be honest I'm still confused with this, because as someone said, it doesn`t make sense to upload the copy when I can upload the original

Kearnixer, what have you done? Did you upload the copy or the original?

Karenkl

Mar 23, 2017
Chile
Passport Req..
29/08/2017
A certified copy of the original refers to your original doc that you submit an English/French translation.
It would be the document you have in whatever language, a certified copy of this original.
Does this copy needs to be also in English? I mean the person who certifies copies is a notary, I guess, so they are going to do it in a foreign language. Do I need to translate the copies as well? I find these so confusing! anyone who know?

BillHyatt

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Toronto
There should be total four Documents as follow:

1) Orginal Documents in your own language.
2) Photo Copy of the original that is certified or in other terms it should be attested by notary. Whichever Applicable in your country.
3) An Affidavit from a Translator in his/her letterhead that is again certified in the same way as 2.
4) A Translated version in a letterhead that is certified in the same way as 2 and 3.

I hope it will clear your doubts. There might be slight changes depending on your country of application.

Reactions: astralsource

Karenkl

Mar 23, 2017
Chile
Passport Req..
29/08/2017
There should be total four Documents as follow:

1) Orginal Documents in your own language.
2) Photo Copy of the original that is certified or in other terms it should be attested by notary. Whichever Applicable in your country.
3) An Affidavit from a Translator in his/her letterhead that is again certified in the same way as 2.
4) A Translated version in a letterhead that is certified in the same way as 2 and 3.

I hope it will clear your doubts. There might be slight changes depending on your country of application.
Does the certified copies have to be translated as well?
I mean the notary will say it's a certified copy but in my language (Spanish), so I'm not sure if I have to ask the translator to translate that as well. Also, the notary who is going to certify my copies is a different one than the one the translator is going to use. Is that ok? Thanks!!

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
In my understanding you need:
- original document in your own language
- certified copy by the translator( it is still in your language but it is certified that the translator saw your original one, she/he made a copy and used that for translation)
-translated version in english, stamped by the translator.
But please wait for some experts.

Last edited:
Reactions: astralsource

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everybody

I have a doubt about providing translated documents. The following is written on CIC:

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

- the English or French translation; and
- an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
- a certified photocopy of the original document.

The last point is confusing me. Do I really need to have a certified copy of the originals?? Before I always read you just need to provide a simple copy of the original. And if yes, that is only required for documents which need to be translated? What about originals which already are in English?

Thanks!
---- I am writing the explanation of the above to remove any doubts:
-------->> If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

--------- To understand above, you will have to understand the legal liabilities behind the certifications and the affidavits.. Certification of a document by someone means, they have a legal responsibility about the contents of the document they are certifying, and that they have physically seen the originals!

-- Affidavit has a high legal value and it is an acknowledgment by the translator that he has made true translations and is authorized for doing such translations !

If you have a non-English Document then it is difficult for CIC to verify the originality, as there are too many languages and a large over head for them to verify such documents. To reduce that burden they have delegated this responsibility to the translators !! The move of CIC/IRCC is smart, because they have also asked for an affidavit from the translator so as to make them legally responsible for any faulty translations !!

The certified copy here most importantly means the certification from the translator, not a notary public. It is expected that translators will have to behave responsibly and certify the copy of the original language document that they are translating and attach it as a part of the package to clear them off any obligations. There is no point that you can alter the originals to your advantage as the translator has certified a copy for which the translation was made. Here is the reason they want these

Doc 1 ---- Original Scanned
Doc 2 ---- Certified by translator of the Original Scanned (Doc 1)
Doc 3 ---- Translation scanned
Doc 4 ---- Affidavit of the translator scanned !!!
The above makes it a fool proof way as the whole application is E-Application.

Let us understand if one of the above is missing.
Case 1 -- "Doc 2' is missing: Translator has seen a document that you provided as original, he translated it, given an affidavit! Translator is legally safe. However, what if the original that you gave him was altered in some way !
Case 2 -- "Doc 4' is missing: Translator would write anything in your favor.
Case 3 -- "Doc 1' is missing: This document missing is simply illogical to all the sense !
Case 4 -- "Doc 3' is missing: This document missing is simply illogical to all the sense !

So to make the system fool proof, to delegate the responsibilities they have chosen the above ! All of the above are of fundamental importance and they work together to make a document legal.

If you analyze further you will know CIC works in a fool proof way. PCC responsibilities are with the issuing countries. Educations credentials certification and responsibility is with ECA. Passport responsibility with the issuing authority. Proof of funds responsibility with the Banks issuing those letters. Work experience responsibilities lies with the employers where you have worked. Translated documents responsibility lies with the translators. Emedical responsibilities with the Panel physicians. In the end they are counting on these people to scrutinize everything and take the responsibilities while they can do the rest !

We have to understand all the scenarios to understand the requirements they are making. These requirements came in result of millions of applications they have received, the frauds they have faced !

To answer the last part of your question, for originals in English just upload originals!

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
Great explanation. Thank you so much.

-------->> If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

--------- To understand above, you will have to understand the legal liabilities behind the certifications and the affidavits.. Certification of a document by someone means, they have a legal responsibility about the contents of the document they are certifying, and that they have physically seen the originals!

-- Affidavit has a high legal value and it is an acknowledgment by the translator that he has made true translations and is authorized for doing such translations !

If you have a non-English Document then it is difficult for CIC to verify the originality, as there are too many languages and a large over head for them to verify such documents. To reduce that burden they have delegated this responsibility to the translators !! The move of CIC/IRCC is smart, because they have also asked for an affidavit from the translator so as to make them legally responsible for any faulty translations !!

The certified copy here most importantly means the certification from the translator, not a notary public. It is expected that translators will have to behave responsibly and certify the copy of the original language document that they are translating and attach it as a part of the package to clear them off any obligations. There is no point that you can alter the originals to your advantage as the translator has certified a copy for which the translation was made. Here is the reason they want these

Case 1 -- "Doc 2' is missing: Translator has seen a document that you provided as original, he translated it, given an affidavit! Translator is legally safe. However, what if the original that you gave him was altered in some way !
Case 3 -- "Doc 1' is missing: This document missing is simply illogical to all the sense !
Case 4 -- "Doc 3' is missing: This document missing is simply illogical to all the sense !

So to make the system fool proof, to delegate the responsibilities they have chosen the above ! All of the above are of fundamental importance and they work together to make a document legal.

If you analyze further you will know CIC works in a fool proof way. PCC responsibilities are with the issuing countries. Educations credentials certification and responsibility is with ECA. Passport responsibility with the issuing authority. Proof of funds responsibility with the Banks issuing those letters. Work experience responsibilities lies with the employers where you have worked. Translated documents responsibility lies with the translators. Emedical responsibilities with the Panel physicians. In the end they are counting on these people to scrutinize everything and take the responsibilities while they can do the rest !

We have to understand all the scenarios to understand the requirements they are making. These requirements came in result of millions of applications they have received, the frauds they have faced !

To answer the last part of your question, for originals in English just upload originals!

Pawshi

Apr 2, 2016
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2016

Hi Farazafzal,

It's a very detailed post. Since, my son's Birth Certificate is not English or French, I had to get it translated. I had provided the following documents with my application during the AOR period.

1. Photocopy of birth certificate inked signed by the translator and his official seal. (To prove that this is the document they have translated) - The translator took the xerox of the original birth certificate, stamped it with his office seal and signed with blue ink/color. I have taken the colored scan of the same. So, the birth certificate content is in black & white and stamp and signature are in blue color.

2. Translation in English - with the same inked signature and seal as above of translator, another seal as "Certified Translation", inked signature of the notary public, seal of the notary public and date.

3. Affidavit of translation - with the same inked signature and seal as above of translator, inked signature of the same notary public, seal of the notary public and date.

4. Colored scan of the birth certificate - with the inked signature of the same notary public, seal of the notary public and date. It also has additional seal - Certified True Copy, Birth Certificate and Valid Outside India.

After seeing the case of rejection of Madmod, I have also sent a CSE (just after four days of the AOR) with an LOE and colored scan copy of the original birth certificate (this one without any stamp).

What are your views on my case? Did i provide the complete set at the time of AOR?

Thank you in advance!

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Farazafzal,

It's a very detailed post. Since, my son's Birth Certificate is not English or French, I had to get it translated. I had provided the following documents with my application during the AOR period.

1. Photocopy of birth certificate inked signed by the translator and his official seal. (To prove that this is the document they have translated) - The translator took the xerox of the original birth certificate, stamped it with his office seal and signed with blue ink/color. I have taken the colored scan of the same. So, the birth certificate content is in black & white and stamp and signature are in blue color.

2. Translation in English - with the same inked signature and seal as above of translator, another seal as "Certified Translation", inked signature of the notary public, seal of the notary public and date.

3. Affidavit of translation - with the same inked signature and seal as above of translator, inked signature of the same notary public, seal of the notary public and date.

4. Colored scan of the birth certificate - with the inked signature of the same notary public, seal of the notary public and date. It also has additional seal - Certified True Copy, Birth Certificate and Valid Outside India.

After seeing the case of rejection of Madmod, I have also sent a CSE (just after four days of the AOR) with an LOE and colored scan copy of the original birth certificate (this one without any stamp).

What are your views on my case? Did i provide the complete set at the time of AOR?

Thank you in advance!
You have taken the right course of action.
Sending CSE was also a good move.
You have provided everything whether compulsory or not. It is up to the immigration officer to pick and choose the documents of his/her interest. No worries here.

Good Luck to you !

Reactions: Pawshi

Pawshi

Apr 2, 2016
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2016
You have taken the right course of action.
Sending CSE was also a good move.
You have provided everything whether compulsory or not. It is up to the immigration officer to pick and choose the documents of his/her interest. No worries here.

Good Luck to you !
Hey thanks mate....you have really de-stressed me. At-least, i will not get the un-necessarily beating from my partner for life......:)

chardys

Feb 1, 2017
California, USA
I'm now confused. CIC's definition of "certified photocopy" is as below, it says nothing that it needs to be certified by a translator rather than a notary. Doesn't an "authorized person" usually mean a notary? I got my foreign-language PCC copied and certified by a notary, but the translator only provided an affidavit and didn't certify any copies. This seems to follow their instruction by the letter, but is this a problem/am I missing something?

"Certified Photocopy: A photocopy of an original document. It must be readable and certified as a true copy of the original by an authorized person. The person compares the documents and marks on the photocopy:
  • their name and signature
  • their position or title
  • the name of the original document
  • the date they certified the document
  • the phrase “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document.”"
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#certified_photocopy)

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
I'm now confused. CIC's definition of "certified photocopy" is as below, it says nothing that it needs to be certified by a translator rather than a notary. Doesn't an "authorized person" usually mean a notary? I got my foreign-language PCC copied and certified by a notary, but the translator only provided an affidavit and didn't certify any copies. This seems to follow their instruction by the letter, but is this a problem/am I missing something?

"Certified Photocopy: A photocopy of an original document. It must be readable and certified as a true copy of the original by an authorized person. The person compares the documents and marks on the photocopy:
  • their name and signature
  • their position or title
  • the name of the original document
  • the date they certified the document
  • the phrase “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document.”"
In a paper based application people has to notarized every documents and send it to IRCC. IRCC wont give them back, and applicants need the original one, like a degree, or birth certificate... In express entry we have to upload the original documents with translstion, so we do not have to get notarized copy by public notary.
We need
- original documents
- translated version
- copy of the original stamped, signed by the translator- means he/she translated that documents
- affidavit from the translator-it confirms he is a cerified translator.
In some cases you can have only 3 documents, for example some canadaian translators who are the member of a registered translation organization, they do not give affidavit, because their stamp confirms they are certified translator.

Pawshi

Apr 2, 2016
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2016
In this part of the world, stamp and signature of the notary makes the document legal and provide more legitimacy than the copy of the original one.

fotjon

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Category........
FSW
To be honest I'm still confused with this, because as someone said, it doesn`t make sense to upload the copy when I can upload the original
Kearnixer, what have you done? Did you upload the copy or the original?

As I see it, there is a lot of confusion and people who don't understand these processes keep adding to it.
IMHO the logic behind these requirement seem to be this:

If you scan the original of your University Diploma, you don't need to make or scan a certified copy of it, to upload with the original.
...."If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator"....

Now, If for some reason CIC or someone else, like WES, would ask me to physically send to them my diploma - then of course I would make a certified photocopy. I can't sent the original (unless they assure to send it back to me) since the original diploma is issued only one time and if lost - you are is some troubles.

On the other hand the Police Certificate can be issued many times upon request. This is why I think CIC specifically ask for the original and not a certified copy of the police certificate. Also, I have also legalized the diploma and police, birth certificates.

Same for the letter of reference, you scan or physically send the original and the certified translation of it (with affidavit of translator). If for some reason you think its impossible for you to get another-one later, you physically send a certified photocopy in place of the original, as well as the certified translation of it (with affidavit of translator).

Basically, how I see it, its illogical to send to an embassy the original and a certified photocopy of it. Same reason, you don't scan both the original and a certified photocopy of it.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
As I see it, there is a lot of confusion and people who don't understand these processes keep adding to it.
IMHO the logic behind these requirement seem to be this:

If you scan the original of your University Diploma, you don't need to make or scan a certified copy of it, to upload with the original.
...."If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator"....

Now, If for some reason CIC or someone else, like WES, would ask me to physically send to them my diploma - then of course I would make a certified photocopy. I can't sent the original (unless they assure to send it back to me) since the original diploma is issued only one time and if lost - you are is some troubles.

On the other hand the Police Certificate can be issued many times upon request. This is why I think CIC specifically ask for the original and not a certified copy of the police certificate. Also, I have also legalized the diploma and police, birth certificates.

Same for the letter of reference, you scan or physically send the original and the certified translation of it (with affidavit of translator). If for some reason you think its impossible for you to get another-one later, you physically send a certified photocopy in place of the original, as well as the certified translation of it (with affidavit of translator).

Basically, how I see it, its illogical to send to an embassy the original and a certified photocopy of it. Same reason, you don't scan both the original and a certified photocopy of it.
exactly, why would they need a certified photocopy of the original to be scanned when they already have a scan of te original. I mean it's common sense.

Reactions: michal.svatos