+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certificate of citizenship

marilugia

Jan 5, 2014
Hi, I need help...my husband was born in Canada in 1962 and when he was 13 he came back to Italy. Now we have two sons who love Canada and wish to go and study there. Can they ask for their certificate of citizenship by descent ? Thanks for all the information you can give me ;)
p.s. my husband applied for his birth certificate and he got it

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
marilugia said:
Hi, I need help...my husband was born in Canada in 1962 and when he was 13 he came back to Italy. Now we have two sons who love Canada and wish to go and study there. Can they ask for their certificate of citizenship by descent ? Thanks for all the information you can give me ;)
p.s. my husband applied for his birth certificate and he got it
Your sons are both Canadian citizens. Go here and get them their proofs of citizenship.

marilugia

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks for the information but I have another problem : I checked the link and when it says IF YOU WERE BORN OUTSIDE CANADA and I go to the ONLINE TOOL it says " AM I CANADIAN ? "my sons were born outside Canada BEFORE April 17, 2009. What does this mean ? Aren't they Canadian ?

But if you are right they have to fill :

Application for a Citizenship Certificate (including the Document Checklist) [Form CIT 0001] (PDF, 319 KB),right ?

I have a question at point 6 when they ask if they are citzen of one or more countries other than Canada. In this case, since they are Italian citizen I should declare it. Right ?
Thanks for all the information you can give me ;)

Highlander2014

Dec 11, 2013
marilugia said:
I have a question at point 6 when they ask if they are citzen of one or more countries other than Canada. In this case, since they are Italian citizen I should declare it. Right ?
Of course. Why would you not declare their existing nationality and citizenship?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your sons are Canadian but because they were born outside Canada and gained citizenship via Canadian parent, they would not be able to pass citizenship to their children in the future. That is the law from 2009.

You should declare that they are Italian citizens. Canada and Italy have no problem with dual citizenship so they will have both.

marilugia

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks very much...once my sons have received their certificate of citzenship, can they study in Canada as Canadians ? if they wish to study there for longer than six months ,they can do that, right ?and what about working for some time ? thank you so much for your useful information :)

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
marilugia said:
Thanks very much...once my sons have received their certificate of citzenship, can they study in Canada as Canadians ? if they wish to study there for longer than six months ,they can do that, right ?and what about working for some time ? thank you so much for your useful information :)
They are Canadian Citzens and they can come and remain in Canada for as long as they want. They would qualify for the regular tuition fees (lower than intl fees)--

The ONLY thing they will not be able to do is pass on their Canadian citizenship to their children-if these children are born outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marilugia said:
As Canadian citizens, they can do everything in Canada that they are allowed to as Italians in Italy. Yes, that includes coming and going as they wish, staying as long as they like, taking a job or enrolling in college.