sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
Hello
I landed in August 2019 and started work in September 2019 till just before the March break when everything shut down because of Corona.
I am a teacher and the school mentioned that I will have to apply for CERB.

My problem is I haven't paid my taxes yet and so I am unable to signup for a CRA account. I called up the CRA customer care and they said I will have to wait for a number that they will post to find out how to apply for the CRA account.

My question is, is it possible for me to do it by myself and if yes what program or website or app do I have to use? Is it possible for me to apply for CERB without doing my taxes? (these may be stupid questions but since I am new I would like any help possible:))

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
I landed in August 2019 and started work in September 2019 till just before the March break when everything shut down because of Corona.

My problem is I haven't paid my taxes yet and so I am unable to signup for a CRA account. I called up the CRA customer care and they said I will have to wait for a number that they will post to find out how to apply for the CRA account.

My question is, is it possible for me to do it by myself and if yes what program or website or app do I have to use? Is it possible for me to apply for CERB without doing my taxes? (these may be stupid questions but since I am new I would like any help possible:))

How many hours have you worked? I would think you would qualify for EI not
CERB. How many hours do you work?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html

Per the government link if you lost your job due to covid, you apply for CERB, off course if you qualify regarding income the income cut off of 5k

“How do I know whether to apply for EI benefits or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit?

“If you have stopped working because of COVID-19, you should apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, whether or not you are eligible for Employment Insurance. The Benefit is available for the period from March 15, 2020 to October 3, 2020.”

sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
I have worked for 903.75 hours from Sept to March.
I would only be able to apply for CERB and not EI.

How many hours have you worked? I would think you would qualify for EI not
CERB. How many hours do you work?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html

Per the government link if you lost your job due to covid, you apply for CERB, off course if you qualify regarding income the income cut off of 5k

“How do I know whether to apply for EI benefits or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit?

“If you have stopped working because of COVID-19, you should apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, whether or not you are eligible for Employment Insurance. The Benefit is available for the period from March 15, 2020 to October 3, 2020.”
is it possible to do my taxes by myself? do you think it will be easier for me to do my taxes myself or should I have to consult someone for it?

also as far as the $5000 is concerned, do I have to show it only from Canadian salary or from 2019 where we worked before is ok?

I will be going through the link as well

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
is it possible to do my taxes by myself? do you think it will be easier for me to do my taxes myself or should I have to consult someone for it?

also as far as the $5000 is concerned, do I have to show it only from Canadian salary or from 2019 where we worked before is ok?

Yes, you can do your taxes yourself . It’s pretty straightforward especially if you don’t have multiple slips . Usually the system auto fills it in , if you qualify
Foreign income can be included in the $5k benchmark

sherin42

Oct 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
08/08/2019
Yes, you can do your taxes yourself . It’s pretty straightforward especially if you don’t have multiple slips . Usually the system auto fills it in , if you qualify
Foreign income can be included in the $5k benchmark
thank you so much. is there any site or app you would recommend?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
thank you so much. is there any site or app you would recommend?
There’s many on the market . Turbo tax, Simple Tax. And some are free based upon income, complexity
Most will let you tailor your return to your situation
My return is very complicated, and I’ve had no problems doing mine on my own
Some community centres have volunteers that help new filers, however that was during normal times. I highly doubt 100% that this has stopped

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Would depend if you were in Canada while getting foreign income is my understanding.

Aece

Apr 6, 2020
I migrated to Canada last November after getting my PR. Till date I haven’t had 600 hours of work - to qualify for EI.
Neither have I earned $5000 till date - to qualify for CERB.
Is it possible for me to avail any government benefits currently? Kindly help!

Gunnershat

Jun 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was out of Canada when i was in Parental EI. My flight back to canada was on march 16 but due to lockdown and flight cancellation i was not able to travel to canada. My parental EI is already ended. Will i be able to apply CERB from out of Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was out of Canada when i was in Parental EI. My flight back to canada was on march 16 but due to lockdown and flight cancellation i was not able to travel to canada. My parental EI is already ended. Will i be able to apply CERB from out of Canada?
No. CERB is for people in Canada.

Gunnershat

Jun 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okie. What do you suggest? Can i apply for CERB after landing in Canada claiming CERB from March 16?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okie. What do you suggest? Can i apply for CERB after landing in Canada claiming CERB from March 16?
You can't claim the benefit for time you weren't in Canada. It is for people IN CANADA.

You may be able to apply after your return but I can't say for sure.