+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP Exam experience

CEC_2013

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
I have given CELPIP exam. Here is my experience,

Listening is good compare to IELTS but some certain points.

Speaking is not good as IELTS and it is very difficult to achieve desired band. IELTS is good compare to CELPIP.
Example, There are some questions ( 13 to 15) where we need to listen and speak. So it’s all about listening kind of things rather than speaking. It is very difficult to speak within 90 seconds for all questions because same times other guys are speaking.

Reading and writing both are good no issue.

Overall it is difficult to achieve desired points in CELPIP where as we can achieve at least 6 band in IELTS easily in each 4 category.
CELPIP doesn't have enough materials that is the main issue. Only they provided sample test on CELPIP.ca site and online materials but difficult to do practice if we want to achieve more than 4H in each category then it is very difficult.

siroccoon

Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2013
AOR Received.
24-05-2013
Med's Request
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
24-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2014
LANDED..........
01-03-2015
Hi there,

Yes agreed, listening is the easy part however do not waste your time in taking notes unless its very much required.

Speaking, unlike IELTS where you will be interviewed by a person inside a room here is the challenge of speaking to the computer and you are in the room of 20 other people trying to speak on the same or other topic. 13 - 16 questions you mean?

Reading, same like IELTS could be little tricky and needs lot of patience to read and answer. As recommended have your head phones ON all the time.

I wouldn't agree its a difficult test but of course without preparation you will have a hard time. Online materials give a good idea of what is expected but keep in mind they are only samples and you need good prep before you sit for the test. One advice on speaking, don't be over confident on your speaking skills and make sure you do little talking in front of your PC in a quiet environment keeping 40 seconds timer.

Cheers

CEC_2013

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Hi siroccoon, Nothing is hard and easy.

Actually, CELPIP doesn't have enough materials for preparation. In fact, specially in speaking modules they have some questions where we need to listen carefully otherwise you can't give proper answer. As a result, It will affect on scores end of the day.

Whatever they mentioned online materials and sample test it is very easy whereas in actual exam it has been realized very difficulty in speaking modules specially.

It is very difficult to achieve 4L in each category. Because at least in IELTS we have enough materials through online so t we can achieve desired band ( Minimum 6 Band ).

Before taking CELPIP exam, kindly practice speaking modules it is very difficult compare to IELTS.

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
I wouldn't completely agree speaking is very difficult. Even for IELTS we have to listen their question first before answering, only the thing probably we can ask "pardon me" to repeat the question, but who knows that would also affect our score in IELST?

you are trying to compare the measuring standards - IELST scoring v/s CELPIP scoring which is not really possible. If we perform well we can get the score we deserve in each exam. Practice and practice, understand the area where you are weak and improve.

Too many material to prepare also would cause confusion. I had 4 or 5 IELTS material, some 101 to 1001 tips for IELTS etc. etc. and I was totally confused as to where to start and which to pick. Finally I sorted some material and prepared.

In case of CELPIP it was good for me that, to prepare only 2 material, one PDF ebook and online training. Even though their online training has only one sample for each, there are lots of hints , sample speaking tips and suggestions to improve.

I guess what you have missed here is less practice. Even when I tried initially with their sample, I could not answer some of their speaking questions, but it was a good hint that what is going to happen if we didn't do enough practice.

I got my CELPIP results and I cleared all skills to apply for CEC.. I wish you all the best CEC_2013

ganeshvr

Mar 18, 2013
My experience with CELPIP is pretty much the same as others who posted here. All the four abilities looked easy at the first go, but the test environment (sitting in a class room of 10) where everybody speaks approximately at the same time makes it difficult. Lucky to get 4H in three abilities and 5 in Listening. I was not aware of IELTS, but CELPIP is a good option in my opinion.

For preparation I bought the online materials offered during exam registration (both audio course and PDF). They both give pretty good overview of the exam format and prepares you well

anni_in

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2013
AOR Received.
16-Jul-2013
Med's Request
31-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
7-Feb-2014 Medical received.: 17-Feb-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
1-Mar-2014
I have registered for 19th April exam today. Received payment confirmation but did not receive admission ticket and course material. Any idea how long it takes to get these?

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
anni_in said:
I have registered for 19th April exam today. Received payment confirmation but did not receive admission ticket and course material. Any idea how long it takes to get these?
did you register today? may be this is weekend.. you should get it by Monday, if not you can either call them or can have online chat.
If you have bought course material you will get that also.

anni_in

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2013
AOR Received.
16-Jul-2013
Med's Request
31-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
7-Feb-2014 Medical received.: 17-Feb-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
1-Mar-2014
Thanks shibinp

RPN

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
June 2010
Hi,

My wife also registered for CELPIP (Listening & Speaking). During registration she also add the amount for instructional materials. She got the online access which is now over but no PDF ebook or other materials.

Could you please tell me how to get a PDF ebook for her to prepare for exam. By any chance if you have any copy of the book, can I ask for it.

Thanks.

RPN

shibinp said:
I wouldn't completely agree speaking is very difficult. Even for IELTS we have to listen their question first before answering, only the thing probably we can ask "pardon me" to repeat the question, but who knows that would also affect our score in IELST?

you are trying to compare the measuring standards - IELST scoring v/s CELPIP scoring which is not really possible. If we perform well we can get the score we deserve in each exam. Practice and practice, understand the area where you are weak and improve.

Too many material to prepare also would cause confusion. I had 4 or 5 IELTS material, some 101 to 1001 tips for IELTS etc. etc. and I was totally confused as to where to start and which to pick. Finally I sorted some material and prepared.

In case of CELPIP it was good for me that, to prepare only 2 material, one PDF ebook and online training. Even though their online training has only one sample for each, there are lots of hints , sample speaking tips and suggestions to improve.

I guess what you have missed here is less practice. Even when I tried initially with their sample, I could not answer some of their speaking questions, but it was a good hint that what is going to happen if we didn't do enough practice.

I got my CELPIP results and I cleared all skills to apply for CEC.. I wish you all the best CEC_2013

bhaveshenee

Oct 23, 2009
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2010
Do any one has material for this test?

RPN said:
Hi,

My wife also registered for CELPIP (Listening & Speaking). During registration she also add the amount for instructional materials. She got the online access which is now over but no PDF ebook or other materials.

Could you please tell me how to get a PDF ebook for her to prepare for exam. By any chance if you have any copy of the book, can I ask for it.

Thanks.

RPN

iamelle

Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 20, 2014
AOR Received.
March 18, 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Sept 9, 2014
Med's Done....
Sept 19, 2014
Passport Req..
January 21, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2015
LANDED..........
March 28, 2015
^ There is a practice exam on their website and you could also buy the e-book and access to practice tests when you register for the exam. This is fairly easy if you familiarize yourself with the format and be very conscious of the time.

Raj2014

Sep 13, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
12-12-2014
AOR Received.
04-05-2015
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
May 9 2014
Med's Done....
May 23 2014 / IP Sep 2 2015 / DM Sep 18 2015
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
Oct 10 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 11 2015
LANDED..........
Dec 15 2015 / Already in Canada Since 2010 as Student & Worker ...Now PR
I am going to take CELPIP General Exam early next month.

I need suggestions. I need to get CLB 5 to apply under B category of CEC.

zareef

Dec 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
Doc's Request.
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with app
Med's Request
09-03-2016
Med's Done....
02-03-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2016
LANDED..........
10-05-2016
Raj2014 said:
I am going to take CELPIP General Exam early next month.

I need suggestions. I need to get CLB 5 to apply under B category of CEC.
YOU will easily get more than 5. Just review some practice material a day before the exam.