+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC remote work

Aqas

Jan 15, 2022
Hey everyone, has anyone worked remotely (outside of Canada) and his experience was considered a Canadian experience?
I used to work in Canada but I moved back home for 7 months (still continued working there). Taxes were being deducted and I had to pay all the bills I had to.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey everyone, has anyone worked remotely (outside of Canada) and his experience was considered a Canadian experience?
I used to work in Canada but I moved back home for 7 months (still continued working there). Taxes were being deducted and I had to pay all the bills I had to.
It does not count as Canadian experience for PR (CEC) if that is what you are asking. You need to be working IN Canada for work experience to be counted. You can count it as foreign experience. Does your employer have offices in your country that you transferred too?

Aqas

Jan 15, 2022
It does not count as Canadian experience for PR (CEC) if that is what you are asking. You need to be working IN Canada for work experience to be counted. You can count it as foreign experience. Does your employer have offices in your country that you transferred too?
No, some people are saying that it depends on the officer, so I will probably apply and see what happens.
What's the worst case scenario? lose the application's fees only? I mean it's worth the try, I don't want to work for another 7 months

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No, some people are saying that it depends on the officer, so I will probably apply and see what happens.
What's the worst case scenario? lose the application's fees only? I mean it's worth the try, I don't want to work for another 7 months
Would love to know who got approved when requirements state, "have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply." If you apply, and get ITA, apply and get refused then that is a lot of time that has passed when you may have been eligible for other draws during that time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The worst case scenario for any application is actually a refusal + a 5 year ban.

As long as you answer all questions 100% honestly, this won't be an issue. Make sure you are honest about the dates you left Canada and answer truthfully with regards to where you are living now and the remote work.

Note that there has been no CEC draw since September. We don't know when they will restart and if they will be CEC specific or general when they do.

Good luck.

Aqas

Jan 15, 2022
The worst case scenario for any application is actually a refusal + a 5 year ban.

As long as you answer all questions 100% honestly, this won't be an issue. Make sure you are honest about the dates you left Canada and answer truthfully with regards to where you are living now and the remote work.

Note that there has been no CEC draw since September. We don't know when they will restart and if they will be CEC specific or general when they do.

Good luck.
of course, I'll do that. When I created the profile, it did not ask me whether the experience was in Canada or not, I just filled in general info like NOC, title, Start date (still working at the same company), address, etc. but in the travel history, I will definitely put the correct dates.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have an explanation letter? like why I had to travel and so on

Reactions: classico33

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
of course, I'll do that. When I created the profile, it did not ask me whether the experience was in Canada or not, I just filled in general info like NOC, title, Start date (still working at the same company), address, etc. but in the travel history, I will definitely put the correct dates.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have an explanation letter? like why I had to travel and so on
You would have to ask someone who has been approved under CEC with remote work. I haven't seen that and don't know the answer.

ndrks

Mar 12, 2021
It doesn’t count as Canadian experience.
My first CEC application was declined for this reason. The officer clearly stated that I had only 9 months experience in Canada, and my application was rejected. This happened after my eligibility was recommended pass.

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC

why are you taking such risk?!
Everyone here mentioned the basic and most important requirement for CEC is to be in Canada and working whether its remote or not. Even if it doesn't mention on CIC Website and under the CEC requirement.
Even though if you mention in the LOE, chances are the Officer may approve or they may not. It all depends on them so its like taking a risk.
I work remotely here in Canada and I also wanted to go back home and work from there but I didn't take such risk so I stayed here and got my PR approved under CEC.

Aqas

Jan 15, 2022
why are you taking such risk?!
Everyone here mentioned the basic and most important requirement for CEC is to be in Canada and working whether its remote or not. Even if it doesn't mention on CIC Website and under the CEC requirement.
Even though if you mention in the LOE, chances are the Officer may approve or they may not. It all depends on them so its like taking a risk.
I work remotely here in Canada and I also wanted to go back home and work from there but I didn't take such risk so I stayed here and got my PR approved under CEC.
I created a profile though, should I delete it? or what do I do?

Aqas

Jan 15, 2022
It doesn’t count as Canadian experience.
My first CEC application was declined for this reason. The officer clearly stated that I had only 9 months experience in Canada, and my application was rejected. This happened after my eligibility was recommended pass.
what did you do after that? did you apply again and when? Also, you lost the processing fee only, right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
my crs score is 484, so I will definitely get an invitation, do I keep declining them?
You need to update your profile to show that the last 7 months is foreign work experience (not Canadian work experience).

Once you have returned to Canada and worked the additional 7 months, you can then update your EE profile to show the 1 year of Canadian work experience.