+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC rejected

PyramidCity

Apr 23, 2012
Hi,

I am a fourth year PhD student applying for CEC and got rejected cos of the job description.
I am wondering if I have any chance to submit an additional letter of employment with details or resubmit the whole package?
It may take awhile to obtain new police certificate for new application.

Cheers

P.S the original text is as follows

"Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: Teaching and Research Assistant (NOC 4122).

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement. You chose to submit a letter of reference from xxx University dated February 16, 2012 that did not include a list of job duties or responsibilities nor indicated whether your employment was full-time or part-time work. As such, I am not satisfied that you have the work experience as claimed in your application.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(1) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act to “this Act” include regulations made under it.

Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application."

ConfuseApplicant

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
PyramidCity said:
Hi,

I am a fourth year PhD student applying for CEC and got rejected cos of the job description.
I am wondering if I have any chance to submit an additional letter of employment with details or resubmit the whole package?

Cheers

"Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: Teaching and Research Assistant (NOC 4122).

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement. You chose to submit a letter of reference from xxx University dated February 16, 2012 that did not include a list of job duties or responsibilities nor indicated whether your employment was full-time or part-time work. As such, I am not satisfied that you have the work experience as claimed in your application.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(1) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act to “this Act” include regulations made under it.

Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application."
When did you applied?? and also did you put your TA/RA as your work experience in Canada?? or you had any previous experience here in Canada??

Based in your text, I assume, you count RA and/or TA as your work experience, but didn't you provide a reference letter from your supervisor or university explaining period of work, duties and responsibilities, work schedule (# or hours + part-time or full time) and so on as mentioned in the website.

Do share your experience so that we can help you for your future application. Also you experience can be helpful to other potential applicant.

PyramidCity

Apr 23, 2012
My application was received on 5 Mar 2012.

I only provided my TA/RA in my current Canadian University as my working experience.

I enclosed the following as the description of my job and this letter was provided by my department.

"as a full time research student, he is required to work 8hrs a day 5 days a week.
as a teaching assistant , he should not work over 10hrs a week."

"research duties: experiment, fabrication, prototyping, and testing.
TA duties: proctoring, tutoring students and marking assignment."

That is mainly what my letter of employment is about.

ConfuseApplicant

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
PyramidCity said:

I only provided my TA/RA in my current Canadian University as my working experience.

I enclosed the following as the description of my job and this letter was provided by my department.

"as a full time research student, he is required to work 8hrs a day 5 days a week.

I think the information what they are looking for are, period of your work (like from DD/MM/YYY till DD/MM/YYY), salary that you are getting for each of your duties (like XX CAD per <month or week or year or term> for RA and XX CAD per <month or week or year or term> for your TA) and the detail about your work duties like What you do??

Duties such as literature reviews, problem identification, conducting experiments, collecting data from the experiments and so on. Try to contact them via email or phone and ask if you can send the letter with all the info that they are looking for.

Best of luck!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
PyramidCity said:
Hi, sorry to hear about your rejection, but the letter from your Employer left out many crucial details. The job description has to be part of the letter from your employer...

"as a full time research student, he is required to work 8hrs a day 5 days a week."

This does not indicate any employment. A student is not an employee. If you received a stipend, that is not "income." If you worked as a research assistant, it is highly doubtful you worked 40 hours per week in addition to being a full-time student. Most universities have a limit on the number of hours students are permitted to work. Nonetheless, if your advisor is willing to write a letter stating you were employed for 40 hours per week working in his/her lab, it may be accepted, but of course the job duties and exact start and end dates need to be identified.

There is a difference between "He worked 10 hours per week" and "He should not work over 10 hrs per week." We don't know how many hours per week you actually worked.

As well, TAs usually work from term to term. The exact start and end dates of each term must be specified.

It would have to be something like:

September 1-December 15: 10 hours per week for 15 weeks
January 4-May 18: 10 hours per week for 15 weeks...

The exact number of hours per week should be calculable from your T4s...

aaad

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
hi GUYS!!!

After reading through this froum,i am worried about my letter of reference from one of my employer.Actually in the letter he wrote exact job descriptiopn which was mentioned in noc list....So would it be a problem for me??

Thanks a lot

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aaad said:
hi GUYS!!!

After reading through this froum,i am worried about my letter of reference from one of my employer.Actually in the letter he wrote exact job descriptiopn which was mentioned in noc list....So would it be a problem for me??

Thanks a lot
If you could share parts of the letter that you are worrying about, maybe others could give you suggestions regarding your worries! What about rest of the letter? Everything you need is included?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
aaad said:
If you mean, it was exactly the same, word-for-word, as the NOC description, then - yes, it could be a problem. If it is just cut-and-paste, then CIC will (rightly) believe it is not 100% true.

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/08/2012. Sydney received on 17/08/12
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-22-2013, dependents 28-08-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 6th 2013, cic received on sept 10th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
PyramidCity said:

hey, i dont think ur qualified as a student..u only qualified as a teacher though, so wait and get the rest of the experience before reapplying

aaad

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hi Jeson and johhn

Duties mentioned in the letter r

Supervise Cashiers

Authorise payments by cheque and the return of merchandise

Sell merchandise to customers

Order Supplies and ensure invetory control

Prepare sales reports

Deal with comer complaints

Hire and train new cashiers

Duties in HRSDC website r

•Supervise and co-ordinate sales staff and cashiers
•Assign sales workers to duties and prepare work schedules
•Authorize payments by cheque and the return of merchandise
•Sell merchandise to customers
•Resolve problems that arise, such as customer complaints and supply shortages
•Maintain specified inventory and order merchandise
•Prepare reports regarding sales volumes, merchandising and personnel matters
•Hire and train or arrange for the training of new sales staff

Please guys have a look if this coud be a problem for me

OHKIDDA

Star Member
Sep 1, 2012
PyramidCity said:
Hi,

Cheers

This is strange. I thought they do a completeness check at Sydney before they forward it to Ottawa. From this, it looks like they should have returned your file and not refused it.

Did you ever get a medical request??

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
OHKIDDA said:
This is strange. I thought they do a completeness check at Sydney before they forward it to Ottawa. From this, it looks like they should have returned your file and not refused it.
The completeness check does not evaluate the information. Letter of reference included? Yes? Check. Whether or not the Letter contains the required information, that's for the VO to evaluate.

Arash322

Feb 14, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MAY 11 2012
AOR Received.
Aug 28 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
Aug 28 2012 to CPP Ottawa
Hey
Sorry to hear you are Rejected

I am a PhD student too and applied under CEC with RA/TA experience.
We are both 100% eligible to apply under CEC if we meet the requirements of CEC i.e. (a Canadian degree + equivalent of 1 year full time work experience, or equivalent of 2 years full-time work experience).
However, the reference letter is tricky. It must include periods of employment, salary, weekly hours and duties for both RA and /or TA.
I think you should have indicated Periods of employment, your RA and TA income as well. In addition, mention 3 or 4 duties in nice sentences
and provide them with a more detailed reference letter. Include a copy of your TA contracts if you can. And do separate letters for RA and TA as they are separate jobs.
The other issue that you be aware is your RA income must be higher than minimum wage. I mean you RA income must be higher than the total of hours you have mentioned * minimum wage (which is around 11$/hour). If your RA is less than that you should try to reduce the number of hours in the reference letter to meet the minimum wage. I am saying this because most RAs fall within the 10,000-20,000 $ range so we should be carefull.
Besides that,I guess if you have all the document you should be fine

I am also a little worried about my case since I have only mentioned my duties as: "Conducting research on ......"
and writing "Scientific articles". So try to be a little more detailed than I was.

Best of Luck
Arash

ConfuseApplicant

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Arash322 said:
Hey
Sorry to hear you are Rejected

I am a PhD student too and applied under CEC with RA/TA experience.
We are both 100% eligible to apply under CEC if we meet the requirements of CEC i.e. (a Canadian degree + equivalent of 1 year full time work experience, or equivalent of 2 years full-time work experience).
However, the reference letter is tricky. It must include periods of employment, salary, weekly hours and duties for both RA and /or TA.
I think you should have indicated Periods of employment, your RA and TA income as well. In addition, mention 3 or 4 duties in nice sentences
and provide them with a more detailed reference letter. Include a copy of your TA contracts if you can. And do separate letters for RA and TA as they are separate jobs.
The other issue that you be aware is your RA income must be higher than minimum wage. I mean you RA income must be higher than the total of hours you have mentioned * minimum wage (which is around 11$/hour). If your RA is less than that you should try to reduce the number of hours in the reference letter to meet the minimum wage. I am saying this because most RAs fall within the 10,000-20,000 $ range so we should be carefull.
Besides that,I guess if you have all the document you should be fine

I am also a little worried about my case since I have only mentioned my duties as: "Conducting research on ......"
and writing "Scientific articles". So try to be a little more detailed than I was.

Best of Luck
Arash
Good to know. Adding to your response,

Post-secondary RA or TA with NOC 4012 can apply CEC. To apply with this NOC you must be a student enrolled in university or college program.

One question to Arash: How did u manage to collect pay stubs ..

rus66958

Star Member
Sep 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
06-12-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
29-10-2013
Med's Done....
04-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2013
LANDED..........
11-12-2013
Hi all,

I did research based 2 years MS and almost finishing my one year experience for CEC after post graduation. Do I need my supervisor to write me a job experience letter for the duration of MS?