+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - Application submitted with a few days short in work experience

vinniechandak

Aug 28, 2020
Hello all,

My spouse is a primary applicant on EE and she is going to complete her 12 months of experience on 22nd June. We received ITA on 13th May as the system calculates experience on month to month basis and not based on date. As we had all our documents, we submitted documents and profile on 12th June, (10 days before actual completion of year).

There are a few questions now.
1. Will there be a problem as MEC is not met when we submitted our profile?
2. Shall we withdraw and recreate our profile for EE?
3. We contacted IRCC call center and the agent said that we should not do anything as we are only 10 days short to complete 1 year of experience. I read too many contradictory threads on different forums regarding the same. Has anyone been in the same situation as us where we follow the advice by IRCC agent and don't withdraw the application, received PR?
4. If we decide to withdraw our application and create a new profile, do we have to mention about withdrawn application in new profile?

Any help on this is much appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

My spouse is a primary applicant on EE and she is going to complete her 12 months of experience on 22nd June. We received ITA on 13th May as the system calculates experience on month to month basis and not based on date. As we had all our documents, we submitted documents and profile on 12th June, (10 days before actual completion of year).

There are a few questions now.
1. Will there be a problem as MEC is not met when we submitted our profile?
2. Shall we withdraw and recreate our profile for EE?
3. We contacted IRCC call center and the agent said that we should not do anything as we are only 10 days short to complete 1 year of experience. I read too many contradictory threads on different forums regarding the same. Has anyone been in the same situation as us where we follow the advice by IRCC agent and don't withdraw the application, received PR?
4. If we decide to withdraw our application and create a new profile, do we have to mention about withdrawn application in new profile?

Any help on this is much appreciated!
Hmmm... It's too really bad you didn't wait until after June 22nd to submit. That was an unfortunate mistake.

1. It may be a problem or it may not. Technically she does not have a year of work experience which requires her to have 52 separate weeks where she has worked at least 30 hours. Ultimately it will be up to the officer on whether you are given a break on this rule or not. You may be waiting a while to find out.
2. It's a hard call because you don't know when the next CEC draw will be. If you have a decent score, I would lean towards withdrawing and creating a new profile.
3. IRCC call centre is useless for advice for all but the most basic questions. Don't believe anything they say.
4. You can include an LOE to mention that you withdrew an application and why. It's not a big deal and won't impact a new application. You will want to mention that you applied under EE previously (I believe this is one of the questions you have to answer).

vinniechandak

Aug 28, 2020
Thanks for a quick response @scylla! She is currently working with the same employer will complete her work anniversary on 22nd, June. Couple of more questions, I am on the verge of completing two years of experience and I am secondary applicant. Our score with my 1 year of experience is 479 and with 2 years its 481. It doesn't make any difference but If we create new application, it will show our score as 481. (I am completing 2 years of experience in July). Do you think it's a wise decision to withdraw and recreate profile?

few more questions are:
1. Do we need to get new Police Certificates, Medical or any other documents?
2. If we request for withdrawal of application, can we create new profile right away so that if draw happens in the next week, we may get invitation? And shall we wait till 22nd June to create new profile?
3. Can I (secondary applicant) accept new job offer from a company headquartered in Quebec (Employer is allowing me to work remotely from Ontario)?

Last edited:

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
The lock-in date is when you submit your application (AOR). That's the date used to calculate work experience, age etc.

Your spouse did not meet the 12 month requirement as of the lock in date.

Best to withdraw ASAP as you get the full amount back before they start processing it (usually about 1 month in when they do the completeness check).

From the officer's point of view, they won't know for sure if your spouse stayed or left the job right after the letter was issued, thus falling short of the 1 year mark. Make sure the new letter is dated at least a year from when she started.

sai2595

Jan 15, 2023
I'm facing a similar problem. I submitted my application and I'm 5 days short. Did you withdraw the application?

sbali

Jan 13, 2023
I disagree on some points

The score gets locked on the day of ITA

Old reference letters are perfectly fine as long as they are not too old, at the most add some latest pay stubs, they cannot reject your case.

5 days short on experience does not matter at all

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I disagree on some points

The score gets locked on the day of ITA

Old reference letters are perfectly fine as long as they are not too old, at the most add some latest pay stubs, they cannot reject your case.

5 days short on experience does not matter at all
We've seen people refused here with a 5 day shortfall on experience. It does matter. That means someone has only 51 weeks rather than the required 52 to consider it a year.

Reactions: Taran D

sbali

Jan 13, 2023
We've seen people refused here with a 5 day shortfall on experience. It does matter. That means someone has only 51 weeks rather than the required 52 to consider it a year.
Must have been past experience, not the current experience, can you give details of the rejected case?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
If I were OP, I will not risk that 5 days.

I have my share of losing out on technicality. In my rush to submit my OINP Non-EE application, I forgot to attach the attestation form (which does not have its own section before). That application was returned. They could've just asked me for the form, but no, they returned it. I know this is a different case, but just want to point out the real risk of losing to technicality.

But then, that's just me... It's still OP's decision. OP may or may not be rejected, totally IRCC decision.

Reactions: Taran D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Must have been past experience, not the current experience, can you give details of the rejected case?
No, current experience. Example would be claiming a year of work experience in Canada but only having 51 weeks at the time the application is submitted.

nuwan.chathuranga

Apr 17, 2021
Hi, IRCC said, https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=664&top=29

12 months of full-time work:
  • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
My Questions:

1. If a candidate submits ITA with the working days as 362 days (2 days before full fill the 1 year) but with working hours of 1900hrs, is that a valid submission?

My point is,
40 hrs/week 11 months and = 363 days full-time (1900 hrs) is the same as 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)

If we calculated the working dates based on working hours, 11 months 1900 is greater than 12 months 1560 hrs

2. Why is IRCC adding extra 35 points for CEC for a candidate having less than a year of experience?

Please share your thoughts
Thank you

nuwan.chathuranga

Apr 17, 2021
Hi!,

Can you please tell me the working hours of the rejected people who applied 5 days short?

if candidate works 30hrs, then 5 days left means = 1560 hrs - 30 hrs = 1530 hrs (DOES NOT MEET the MINIMUM Requirment of 1560hrs) and it will be rejected. it is logical.

Can you please share your thoughts on this

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!,

Can you please tell me the working hours of the rejected people who applied 5 days short?

if candidate works 30hrs, then 5 days left means = 1560 hrs - 30 hrs = 1530 hrs (DOES NOT MEET the MINIMUM Requirment of 1560hrs)

Can you please share your thoughts on this
I don't understand your question. It doesn't matter if someone works 30 hours a week or 40 or 90. It's only counted as one week of work experience and they would therefore be one working week short of having a full year.

You cannot use additional hours worked in other weeks to make up for not having a full year of work experience.